Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 4,551 times

Advertisements

My DH is accepting a position in the Pittsburgh area. We are from a rural area in Ohio with great schools and hometown feel. We wish to find a city/town/village that is similar. We are looking for a small amount of acreage (3-5 acres or more) in an area with great schools and town. We don't want to live in a run-down, mining town (this is what people are showing us). We want to live approximately 30 - 45 minutes from Pittsburgh. Any suggestions? Currently, we are interested in Beaver and Butler Counties (possibly Washington County). Can anyone tell me what are some decent areas to live in. Also, our son is Autistic, so we will need to live in a district that understands his needs.. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2008, 08:31 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,347,419 times
Saxonburg area could be worth a look. It's in Butler County, 20-25 miles from downtown Pgh. via 2 main highways.
Saxonburg, Pennsylvania@Everything2.com
//www.city-data.com/city/Saxonburg-Pennsylvania.html

A few photos in a PDF brochure:
Association Brochure (pdf)

Sarver area is also in Butler County and said to be nice. It's about 30 miles from Pgh.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:41 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,364,617 times
Since your son has special needs, I would suggest finding the school district first, then the home. Many districts in Beaver/Butler Co. contain some rural areas.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:29 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,696,873 times
Westmoreland County / North Huntingdon township is 30 min east of Pittsburgh and has good schools (Norwin). The taxes are less than Allegheny County and there are plenty of house price options (100K on up). There are more options for land as you move east, including Hempfield township and others.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:28 PM

12 posts, read 52,967 times
Hello. I have lived in rural Beaver County for the past 18 years and in another "rural" Pittsburgh suburb for my entire childhood. We too are in the process of relocating (due to my DH's new job) and I SO understand your search for information about finding a place that is familiar to what you are accustomed to. When you are accustomed to the feel of the safety of living in a rural community with safe schools/neighborhoods - it's nearly impossible to imagine that you can ever find the same again and be as happy. I do know how you are feeling. fyi: We are currently selling our home on 4-1/2 acres in Beaver County (by owner).

I can definitely help you with information on Beaver County - as far as places that have a more rural feel and are within driving distance to the city of Pittsburgh. However, I'm not sure I will have great insight into the special needs of your son, although I do have a few ideas of which direction you could take to find out more information in Beaver County.

Feel free to e-mail me and we can talk - - KVMail@Comcast.net

Old 04-25-2008, 11:13 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,310,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitpurlgurl View Post
My DH is accepting a position in the Pittsburgh area. We are from a rural area in Ohio with great schools and hometown feel. We wish to find a city/town/village that is similar. We are looking for a small amount of acreage (3-5 acres or more) in an area with great schools and town. We don't want to live in a run-down, mining town (this is what people are showing us). We want to live approximately 30 - 45 minutes from Pittsburgh. Any suggestions? Currently, we are interested in Beaver and Butler Counties (possibly Washington County). Can anyone tell me what are some decent areas to live in. Also, our son is Autistic, so we will need to live in a district that understands his needs.. Thanks in advance!
Try Washington County. Venetia is very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh