Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 04:38 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

I don't want this to be a political post as I don't think it is the important part of it, but it seems Pittsburgh is just down and depressed since this past presidential election. I don't understand how an election can make a city so miserable? It is kind of odd, but it sure effects my interaction with the city as a white male. Really tired of the "oh poor me" types!!!!! Geez, just work hard and stop your whining!!!

Please don't turn it into politics, but will the depressed whining every stop around here? I go to Florida and it is a happy place with non of this damn depression. I know it has been a lousy year with NO SUN. Anyway, I am just asking a question if anyone else noticed a change in our city? I am growing tired of it, and might change jobs out of the city proper. I want to be around positive people, not people whining about everything political and blaming a bunch of people for no reason. Just so dumbed down!

Thoughts, or am I just in a bad environment in my own workplace? Really tired of the echo chamber the city has become and the lack of political diversity and lack of openness the city seems to display. Not nearly as friendly as the first ring suburbs for sure!

Guess it is time to move on, but I have to stay one more year amongst all the whiny people. UGH!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 04:49 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,604,520 times
People sometimes take politics too personally. It's unhealthy for Americans to live their lives based on who occupies the White House. That's kind of why I wish that we had a more Centrist President that could cool down the political toxicity for a while (someone kind of in the mold of George H.W. Bush).

Old 12-30-2018, 06:04 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
I’m sorry you feel this way, gg (hugs!)

I believe I suffer from (admittedly self-diagnosed) seasonal affective disorder. Today’s sunshine was sublime and really improved my mood; however, when it is cloudy roughly five or six days per week here for months on end it truly takes its toll on me. Nevertheless I try to project an outward image of optimism, but it can often be difficult.

I don’t notice an overwhelming change in Pittsburghers in general. The city is prospering.

Old 12-30-2018, 06:08 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

I believe I suffer from (admittedly self-diagnosed) seasonal affective disorder. Today’s sunshine was sublime and really improved my mood; however, when it is cloudy roughly five or six days per week here for months on end it truly takes its toll on me. Nevertheless I try to project an outward image of optimism, but it can often be difficult.

I don’t notice an overwhelming change in Pittsburghers in general. The city is prospering.
Thanks for your perspective. This is the type of answer I was hoping for. I might just be in a bad environment and an overwhelming amount of people depressed. It is hard to be around all the time and I am just wanting to know if it is just where I am working. It might be.

Again thanks. Hope you have a wonderful New Year!!!! You are a kind person as I know first hand from you message to me a while back.

Take care!

Old 12-30-2018, 06:22 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Have you tried Romulus Dante Pizza in the newly renovated PA Market? 19th between Penn and Smallman. Roman squares they cut with scissors, heat for you, and bring to your table. The pizza bianca yesterday was sublime.

That's what you need: pizza. **** politics.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsBLe7uBof4/

Old 12-30-2018, 06:24 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Could be your circle of friends. I don't get that feeling at all from my "posse".

Old 12-30-2018, 07:22 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

https://psychcentral.com/news/2014/1...ion/78129.html

Old 12-30-2018, 07:45 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
Of course, a lot of the posts on this Forum could cause depression!

Old 12-30-2018, 07:52 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Of course, a lot of the posts on this Forum could cause depression!
Bingo

Old 12-30-2018, 08:21 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo
bingo itself? depressing. you always get so close, just needing a B or a G, usually an even number, to close the deal. Then the PTA president reigns in for the cash. Fixed, maybe?

I do not think there is an overlying depression in Pittsburgh any different than other gray Decembers. Its the sunshine overall - lack of it, but what is different NOW than in past years? I don't see a difference.

The east end is hopping. Bars were PACKED Sunday night. The Pitt and CMU campuses have never looked better. The Phipps Conservatory is lit beautifully, and teeming with people nightly for the display or whatever they have going on there during the holidays.

I, too, believe to be affected by seasonal affective disorder. But in the big scheme of things, I think these are the best of times, in many ways. I'm not jumping for joy, but I appreciate happy people around me in public, even if I am not sharing in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh