Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 09:59 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,336,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Ouch, even with inflation that's steep. I love Polish Hill for what it is but I think landlords are trying to make it into something hip, expensive, etc. when they have no justification for doing so.
They are justified in charging that rent if someone is willing to pay it. It's economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 10:01 PM

3,252 posts, read 2,336,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The Great East End Housing Crisis (sorry, I just couldn't resist).

I truly have no idea. My landlady just raised my rent rather assertively each year. I suppose she's one of the types who doesn't value longevity in tenancy.

In all seriousness my neighborhood is a special case. I believe it's one of the most rapidly-gentifying neighborhoods in all of the region because, while, safe, it was "dumpy" in the 2000's, so nobody really gave it a look. Then Lawrenceville started booming and brought my neighborhood upwards with it.
Why would a landlord care about 'longevity'? Why wouldn't any investor want to make as much money as possible?

Old 01-14-2019, 10:16 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
Why would a landlord care about 'longevity'? Why wouldn't any investor want to make as much money as possible?
It can cost a lot of money to turn over a rental, new floors, paint, blinds, kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities and the cost of showing the unit. Having a long term tenant is better for an investor especially if they pay on time and are clean.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:15 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,459,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
constant turnover yields a lower return on investment than keeping a tenant in place for several years. also, its very time consuming and frustrating to constantly turn units.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:11 AM

387 posts, read 408,458 times
2013 $535.00/mo
2019 $575.00/mo

For Mt Washington...

Old 01-15-2019, 08:35 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomchee View Post
2013 $535.00/mo
2019 $575.00/mo

For Mt Washington...
Mt. Washington also has a useful business district. Proof that Polish Hill is overrated/overpriced, in my opinion, since all we have is a coffee shop.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:52 AM

387 posts, read 408,458 times
Quote:
Mt. Washington also has a useful business district. Proof that Polish Hill is overrated/overpriced, in my opinion, since all we have is a coffee shop.

I live further down on Southern Ave which is about .75 miles to the middle of Shiloh St. I get a kick out of walking up the street and seeing the rents jump hundreds of dollars every block.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:04 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,542,794 times
I never raised the rent if I had a long term tenant. The best one I had lived under me at my duplex. I pay for the materials and he would build storage shelves, repair decks, you name it. He lived there for 7 years without a lease, just a handshake. Great guy, helped him buy his own place.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Polish Hill is expensive because its proximity the the East End and downtown. Doesn't need a business district. Mt. Washington is more isolated. I think you are overpaying though. You do walk downtown, which is cool though and for that alone, maybe it is worth it to not ride a bus or drive and park.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:28 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Polish Hill is expensive because its proximity the the East End and downtown. Doesn't need a business district. Mt. Washington is more isolated. I think you are overpaying though. You do walk downtown, which is cool though and for that alone, maybe it is worth it to not ride a bus or drive and park.
Meh. It's a 45-minute walk to my office---not exactly convenient.

I did find out that I'm only 20 minutes door-to-door to the Wine & Spirits Store in Lawrenceville, though, on foot recently.

"Walking distance" is much further for us than it is for others. I think eschaton posted before that most Americans don't consider anything beyond 1/4-mile "walkable" whereas I am willing to walk up to a mile for necessities and further for recreational opportunities/socialization opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh