Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 06:09 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
H1B employees make less money than Americans and have no rights. They can't change jobs easily, so they are essentially indentured.
You did not answer my question. Do you think that American IT professionals are sitting around unemployed? In this economy, any developer or software engineer with any sort of qualifications doesn’t stay unemployed for long. There simply aren’t enough qualified workers. Yes H1B visa workers make a less and are often miss treated, but you were implying that they are taking jobs away from Americans, which simply isn’t true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 07:12 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
You did not answer my question. Do you think that American IT professionals are sitting around unemployed? In this economy, any developer or software engineer with any sort of qualifications doesn’t stay unemployed for long. There simply aren’t enough qualified workers. Yes H1B visa workers make a less and are often miss treated, but you were implying that they are taking jobs away from Americans, which simply isn’t true.
Companies hire them because of they cost less than Americans and have no rights. Often, Americans are laid off and forced to train their H1B replacements to obtain severance pay.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:12 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
Companies hire them because of they cost less than Americans and have no rights. Often, Americans are laid off and forced to train their H1B replacements to obtain severance pay.

My dept uses H1B workers however we laid anyone off to do so, we just started with H1B workers. Honestly, is the only way to get the job done. As we delivered a major tech project our contractors were pulling 18+ hour days for the past two months, sacrificing weekends, and cancelling vacations all to get the product delivered. They are hourly so they were working tons of overtime, but they are dedicated to project and work their tails off. Just like most Americans dont want to harvest vegetables in the hot sun or clean hotel rooms most of them also dont want to work past 5, work on weekends, and surely dont want to be up sending emails at 3 am.

I cant tell if they are practically killing themselves because they are hard workers or if they are doing it because they don't have rights and dont want to lose their visa. I do know that we would never be able to find enough replacements for them that would deliver like they do. I tend to believe that the contractors I have worked with are simply dedicated, came here to work hard, and get ahead in the world. That is something that should be praised and encouraged not derided.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:15 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
I don't think practically killing themselves on the job and ruining physical and mental health, as well as family life, should be encouraged. It reduces the quality of life for everyone in pursuit of a few more dollars

Old 01-19-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
My dept uses H1B workers however we laid anyone off to do so, we just started with H1B workers. Honestly, is the only way to get the job done. As we delivered a major tech project our contractors were pulling 18+ hour days for the past two months, sacrificing weekends, and cancelling vacations all to get the product delivered. They are hourly so they were working tons of overtime, but they are dedicated to project and work their tails off. Just like most Americans dont want to harvest vegetables in the hot sun or clean hotel rooms most of them also dont want to work past 5, work on weekends, and surely dont want to be up sending emails at 3 am.

I cant tell if they are practically killing themselves because they are hard workers or if they are doing it because they don't have rights and dont want to lose their visa. I do know that we would never be able to find enough replacements for them that would deliver like they do. I tend to believe that the contractors I have worked with are simply dedicated, came here to work hard, and get ahead in the world. That is something that should be praised and encouraged not derided.
It's because they have no rights. You're grateful to have slaves. Welcome to the new plantation.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:44 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Quote:
It's because they have no rights. You're grateful to have slaves. Welcome to the new plantation.
They have rights. They can leave any time they want. Perhaps they don't have better options, but that is not the same as not having rights.

Old 01-19-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
They have rights. They can leave any time they want. Perhaps they don't have better options, but that is not the same as not having rights.
They can leave to return to India. Their H1B would be invalidated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh