Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,568 times

Advertisements

Moving to Pittsburgh soon and I'm hoping to get some opinions. I visited a handful of times, both for weekends and during the week, so I'm kind of familiar with the area. I'm just hoping to get some opinions on where would be ideal for me to look and naturally I turn to the internet for advice. Below is the criteria I'm looking for in a neighborhood:

- Looking for an area where I can get a 1BR apartment for $1,200 or less. Ideally it'd be between $950 - $1,100 but I can do $1,200 for the right apartment.

- I know Pittsburgh isn't super transient, but if there's a neighborhood that transplants flock to or just people my age (edit: Forgot to include I'm 23) in general that'd be awesome.

- Commute. I'm going to be working out in Robinson. In any of these three places the commute seems like it's going to be fairly brutal, however mainly just coming home. I work 7-4 so if I leave by 6:30ish in the morning I should miss the majority of it. I'm willing to suck it up though for better social life and activities.

- Nightlife. I'll admit I haven't grown out of the college scene yet (I guess Southside would win here) so having bars, restaurants, shows, etc. is really important to me.

- Walkability / Convenience. I'm looking for an area that has everything I need close by (groceries, pharmacy, gym, etc.) and is relatively or mostly flat. Although hills are inevitable in Pittsburgh I enjoy running and would prefer not to be going up and down hills every 100 feet.

- Maybe this was just the areas I visited, but it seemed like getting to a highway in Pittsburgh is a trip by itself. Do any of these areas have easy access to the highway?

Also, if there's other areas besides those three I'm all ears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 06:20 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,613 times
I would live in Lawrenceville if you want a "trendier" area although it's pretty yuppy at this point. I am sure you can find an apartment there for the higher end of yours price range, there are restaurants and bars, you can run for miles on a mostly flat path starting from there, and easy access to 28 which at that hour of the day shouldnt be that bad to get to work. Getting home, well that is going to suck and parking can be horrible. Walking to a grocery store, that isn't as much of an option in Lawrenceville although I believe there is one somewhere. s

You can also do South Side for a completely different vibe and get basically the same thing. You commute in that case should just be down Carson Street to the West End bridge and onward to Robinson, and again not bad in the morning, most likely horrible at night and parking is horrible.

So are you more into rum and cokes in plastic cups for $3 (South Side) or craft beers/cocktails for $10 (Lawrenceville)?

Old 01-19-2019, 06:45 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
As previously stated, these neighborhoods are all completely different vibes. If you’re the type of person who would like Lawrenceville, but you’re in your early 20s and not as financially secure, Bloomfield and Garfield would be my suggestions.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:04 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,918 times
Working out in Robinson and wanting something flat, at this point I’d recommend Lawrenceville unless you really like the bro crowd, but I’d probably leave before 6:30 to get to Robinson by 7, traffic on 28 starts building that early and can slow down again in Robinson itself.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:47 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,459,592 times
Lawrenceville is the quintessential option most people will pick based on it has been the "cool kid" for the past few years. It has really gone from the up and coming vibe with a bit of grit, to full on high end yuppie where people from the suburbs with money now head to for a night out on the town. Its not cheap for housing or going out, but has a great location and a lot of amenities besides a decent grocery store and the lack of parking. Its undoubtedly the trendiest neighborhood in Pittsburgh and its prices for everything at the highest end.

South side is probably a better fit if you want to college vibe with all the amenities. Try to stay above 18th street or so if you want a bit more of the young professional crowd and not quite the amount of students. You have more choices of bar/restaurant scene in this area. You have everything from complete old school tinder bars to upscale craft cocktail joints and just about everything in between

Mt Washington would be an excellent choice as well if you were looking for a little bit more mature vibe. Maybe in 2-3 years when you graduate from wanting the full on party scene. The areas near shiloh st offer everything needed within walking distance, a decent mix of bars and dining options, grocery, liquor store, post office, banks and easy commute in just about all directions.

for other options. Bloomfield, friendship, shadyside could all work. But my first suggestion based on your post is most certainly the South side.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:54 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,151,356 times
I would not pick Lawrenceville if I were you; I would go with Mt. Washington instead. Lawrenceville is very expensive and you will hate the drive to Robinson from there. Mt. Washington has some hills, but there are portions of it that can be more on the flat side and are walk-able to the daily needs stores you would want. There are a few bars there as well, and it's really not a pain at all to get to Lawrenceville or the South Side when you want to go there. I work Downtown in an office, and I know a few twenty somethings that didn't grow up there but rent in the neighborhood and they seem to like it.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 01-19-2019 at 06:07 PM..

Old 01-19-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I would not pick Lawrenceville if I were you; I would go with Mt. Washington instead. Lawrenceville is very expensive and you will hate the drive to Robinson from there. Mt. Washington has some hills, but there are portions of it that can be more on the flat side and are walk-able to the daily needs stores you would want. There are a few bars there as well, and it's really not a pain at all to get to Lawrenceville or the South Side when you want to go there. I work Downtown in an office, and I know a few twenty somethings that didn't grow up there but rent in the neighborhood and they seem to like it.

It would be miserable to start your runs from Mt Washington though. Perhaps the OP is not an avid runner, but SS or Lawrenceville gives you access to the river trails and you can basically go forever from there on a flat run.

If running is not really a big deal, and the OP wants to drive to the start of a run, then Mt Washington would def work.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:07 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,459,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
It would be miserable to start your runs from Mt Washington though. Perhaps the OP is not an avid runner, but SS or Lawrenceville gives you access to the river trails and you can basically go forever from there on a flat run.

If running is not really a big deal, and the OP wants to drive to the start of a run, then Mt Washington would def work.
the river trails are only a short incline ride away. No need to drive if you rather not.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
the river trails are only a short incline ride away. No need to drive if you rather not.

Agreed but that makes heading out the door for a run include a $5 fee, esp since OP wont be commuting to work via public transportation.

I agree Mt. Washington could be good, but if the OP is an avid runner having to plan around public transportation to go for a run can be really annoying. They can easily drive and park down by the 10th Street bridge, but again there is something to be said about just putting on your shoes and heading out your door it's one of the joys of running.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:39 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
but again there is something to be said about just putting on your shoes and heading out your door it's one of the joys of running.
Spot on. I love being able to just run from my front door. Decline at the start of my run from Polish Hill into the Strip, flat throughout the Strip, and then an incline back into Polish Hill.

You can run around Mt. Washington, I suppose, but I wouldn't want to start in Mt. Washington and run to another area from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh