Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 08:58 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times

Advertisements

Yeah I'm about 15 min east of Sewickley, I do love that area but even from here to go cross city during rush hour is a pain let alone West Mif. I think the poster really just needs to define more of what is important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 09:57 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,392,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Bethel Park is a very easy commute to West Mifflin. I live there but, sorry, don't have school age kids. You would have access to an excellent 2,000 acre county park, South Park, with a wave pool, ice rink, hiking, equestrian trails and an excellent core of programs hosted by the park rangers. The Montour Trail (hiking and biking) goes through the borough and housing is a bargain given the amenities. Very close to good shopping near South Hills Village (Trader Joes, Whole Foods, etc.). Also, 25-30 minute commute to downtown and North Shore via the light rail system. The downside is that commuting north or west is difficult due to the lack of interstate access. But heading east/southeast to the Laurel Highlands for skiing and other outdoor attractions is a breeze-if you're into that. Good luck!
Bethel Park is a good choice, it has anywhere from section 8 housing up to multi million dollar homes. The township has just recently built a community center, built a new high school and has a new YMCA.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:09 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
The top two privates in our region IMHO are Kiski Prep and Shadyside Academy. I rule out Sewickley because distance.

Both schools are excellent with day student tuition of about $30,000 per year. At one time, a top notch student at either school could be assured of admission to an ivy league university- not anymore. The ivies no longer look to elite private schools for the majority of their admissions.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:58 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
It’s such a broad question that it borders on ridiculous. Without knowing the family’s background, priorities, budget and expectations, this entire thread is asinine.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:40 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It’s such a broad question that it borders on ridiculous. Without knowing the family’s background, priorities, budget and expectations, this entire thread is asinine.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:25 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times
Quote:
bet you would have been fine if they said city neighborhoods

Old 01-23-2019, 11:34 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
That would have been even worse, as the word “suburbs” is in the title.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:01 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
Bingo.

No wonder they’re interested in living in the burbs.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:56 PM

11 posts, read 15,786 times
Thank you. My sons' currently commute an hour to their private school. We live in a area with top public schools, but have chose their school specifically for the JROTC program. They attend an all-boy school, which I think is a good fit for them.

That being said, we are all about how the school fits them. They don't attend private school to increase their chances of going to an Ivy leaguge school. It was more the mission of the school and what they could offer both of them in their development that landed us there.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:00 PM

11 posts, read 15,786 times
Quote:
Sorry the question offended you. If you'd rather not give advice it is okay. Yes, it seems to be a broad question, but with the advice others have given I have been able to do research on different areas.

I appreciate your need for more information; the priorites seem clear, no more than a two hour total commute and the schools. Specifically ones that offer JROTC. With those two criteria I have garnered the information I was inquiring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh