Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 10:43 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Mt. Lebanon police are known far and wide as the toughest around. I wish more departments were as responsive as they are. They're way overboard on most things. They ticketed me once for a burned out turn signal bulb and had me return in 7 days to show them it was fixed in order to waive the ticket. That's nuts but I'd rather have it that way. Nobody messes with Lebo cops.

That really isn't that out of the ordinary. A lot of police departments operate that way. I got pulled over for expired registration. The officer gave me 24 hours to renew it. He said he would check online to make sure I renewed it.

What is crazy is if he would have given you a ticket without the option of having it dismissed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 11:52 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisstanwix? View Post
odds are pretty high if your neighbor is gg and was a few scotches deep...
That is indeed an easy bet.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:56 PM

433 posts, read 287,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildSpark View Post
I was curious if there's a good police presence and how response times are in the nicer suburbs (home prices $400-500k) of Pittsburgh? Here in Las Vegas, when they chose to respond it's at least a 1+ hour wait. Other times they won't show up unless a gun threat is present.
I live in a decent suburb just notheast of the city. A few years ago, about 3:00am, we saw someone break into our car and called 911. I think it took them two or three minutes to show up. Keep in mind, there isn't alot to do for suburban cops in the middle of the night.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:28 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
People in suburbs don't want to live in lawlessness, like in the city.
Interesting. I've lived in the heart of the city since 2010, and I can prance around my neighborhood at any hour---day or night---and feel perfectly safe.

If I didn't feel safe I wouldn't be willing to pay nearly $1,000/month in base rent for a dumpy 1-BR apartment for the benefit of living near a bunch of militantly vegan anarchists.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:30 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
In case you're wondering, both times it was due to a neighbor's car hitting my garage door, and the other taking out 6 bushes. What are the odds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Odds are pretty high if your neighbor is gg and was a few scotches deep...

Old 01-25-2019, 02:45 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Interesting. I've lived in the heart of the city since 2010, and I can prance around my neighborhood at any hour---day or night---and feel perfectly safe.

If I didn't feel safe I wouldn't be willing to pay nearly $1,000/month in base rent for a dumpy 1-BR apartment for the benefit of living near a bunch of militantly vegan anarchists.
Yeah, I don't know how my family survives the lawlessness of the city... It's like Bartertown except no Tina Turner.

Old 01-25-2019, 03:41 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Ha! For some reason when I see the word prance I think of the video for "Rock Me Tonight". I do like Billy Squier though.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:01 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Yeah, I don't know how my family survives the lawlessness of the city... It's like Bartertown except no Tina Turner.
Who said the city was lawless?

Old 01-25-2019, 09:20 PM

433 posts, read 287,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Doesn't sound very appealing. O'Hara cops are pretty intense like that, but maybe not that intense. Not a lot going on in the nicer burbs for the most part. This isn't a transient area, so neighbors have known each other so long and if someone not from here is milling around, people will take notice. Cops are sometimes called for such things, so I hear, especially by the older folks that are around a lot during all hours.
O'hara cops were completely awful, every one of them. Apparently, it had alot to do with the chief some years ago. But I've experienced their bullying mentality several times as a young adult. I think the prerequsite to being an O'hara cop, twenty or so years ago, was to be 80 pounds over weight, a bully and angry at the world. O'hara Twp itself has an enormous chip on its shoulder. They go far out of their way to give people a hard time.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:56 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
O'hara Twp itself has an enormous chip on its shoulder. They go far out of their way to give people a hard time.
O'Hara stopped Fresh Market from coming to the Fox Chapel Plaza. I was told that Fresh Market walked out of the meeting and now we still don't have a grocery store there and it is empty. Shame, because that would have been nice to have a better grocery store there. They do seem like jerks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh