Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 10:42 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
Okay . . . . can you say as to WHY I should "look at Citizen's"??? Everyone else has provided a few reasons. . . . . IJS. . . .
How about because my mom likes them?

Seriously -- the few Giant Eagles I was in when I was back home had Citizen's...

I think your best bet is to decide what's important for you and then contact the places closest to where you will needing the services and ask. The reason I say this -- I worked in banking for years, and your local manager has ways to give you what you want.

I mean -- correct me if I'm wrong -- but you're moving from someplace else to Pittsburgh. AND buying a house.

A manager will be able to tie your mortgage to your checking account and savings and ATM and give you a special deal on all of them. It was a common thing to open a checking, and give a 1/4% off the mortgage rate for an automatic withdrawal of payment. And then if you have auto deposit of your paycheck, your checking account would be free. If you tied your savings account in as overdraft protection on your checking account -- even if you never used it -- your savings would be free (because the potential of fees on that were higher than the regular savings fees). And because you're all tied in like that ATM fees may be refunded. Refunded DOES mean that -- you pay them at the time you take the money, and then after your statement cycles, the fees paid the month before are deposited into your checking account at the beginning of the next cycle. I used to have people bouncing things left and right because they kept thinking their ATM transactions were "Free".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 05:58 AM

803 posts, read 2,970,234 times
Thanks Tally-- I tried to give rep for that response, but apparently, I've already given you too many recently, because it won't let me...LOL!!!!!

God reasons, all of them, but my situation is such, that I want to get the account established THIS weekend while we're in town (again), and then once I start my job, the ban account is already setup. So, I don't have alot of time to research all the minutae of each bank as I might normally do, and am relying on the advice of you who live and bank there already.

So far, Natioonal City & Citizen's seem to be the two best options for our needs....

Old 04-11-2008, 07:53 AM

471 posts, read 1,661,270 times
PNC loyalist here. Even though we are now living in Fl. I am able to do everything online and with my free minimum average balance(2000) checking account I can use any atm and fees are refunded immediately(sometimes before the withdrawal is posted, latest for me has been w/in 24 hrs.)
The branch manager is your friend, do establish a relationship with them and it will be to your advantage.
Also if you do decide to use their investment services you will be assigned a relationship manager and that is a valuable contact to have in handling all your banking issues.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:39 PM

5 posts, read 12,199 times
Had a friend recommend Dollar, why hasn't anyone here done so?

Old 04-12-2008, 01:56 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Dollar Bank is fine except it only has 50 or so offices between here and Cleveland. It isn't very convenient.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,744 times
Hey,

I just moved to Pittsburgh due to work and I opened my account at Citizen's Bank. My reason was mainly due to the number of branches. There is one nearby my work, one near my new home and as well as a bunch of them spread out. Also, their website gave me the impression, its a reputed bank as well as their checking account options.

Hope this helps.

-Slick

Old 04-14-2008, 05:11 PM

23 posts, read 53,178 times
Nobody's as good as Commerce in terms of hours open during the week and on weekends and holidays.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:12 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
^ Maybe. If you can find one. Title of thread is Most Bank Branches in PGH area.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:52 AM

803 posts, read 2,970,234 times
Default Thanks!

Well, thanks everyone... we opted for National City (even though there's "buyout/merger" talk going around), because they seemed to have the best options fitting our needs, and the most overall locations... and if they are bought out by a Fifth/Third or someone else, then that should only increase their presence...

I agree with the comment on Commerce, though... I love them here in NYC, and it's a shame that they're being bought out, and will not get to grow into the northeast the way that I thought they might get to, someday...

Old 05-18-2008, 06:36 AM

36 posts, read 246,626 times
Any banks in South Hills that have identity theft safeguards?Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh