Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,917 times

Advertisements

Hey, I love the Regent Square area too and grew up here! Thought it might be helpful to post that my Housecleaning Services are available to the residents here! I have great references and a criminal record clearance available. No job too small so reply for a free estimate! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 08:23 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,672,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
LOL at the negativity from Pitt transplant. LOL, you watch too much law and order suv or something. Settle down. There are crimes in small, medium, and big towns.

Regent square is a beautiful, quiet, nice, peaceful part of the city. Kids walk around freely, people take pride in the neighborhood, and the streets even smell good. I can't say enough good things about this part of the city.

South Wilkinsburg is very nice also. I walk around that part of the area all the time. I never see anything. It is just more of the same decribed of the above. So many people are ignorant of this fact. They hear "Wilkinsburg" and think of the bombed out parts of the more northern section. Get out and walk around your city more, and try to learn it a little better.
One of the best posts I've seen in any of these neighborhood posts.

I did just what you recomended, and walked around and biked around the area. It's not hard to get a sense for where you should go and where you shouldn't.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:46 AM

370 posts, read 1,012,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
But, pitt_transplant talked about the east Busway... not a school bus. Little kids on and off a PAT bus by themselves... I don't think so!
I guess I missed that, holy crap, is he insane?!

I've gotten harassed and mugged on a PAT bus when I was 16-17, I don't think a early elementary school student should be anywhere near one. That's absolutely insane

Old 12-29-2008, 07:50 AM

803 posts, read 2,961,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturdayskids View Post

I've gotten harassed and mugged on a PAT bus when I was 16-17, I don't think a early elementary school student should be anywhere near one. That's absolutely insane

Looks like we've thread-jacked this one, but I have to agree; little kids riding the city bus system unchaperoned is ust askin' for trouble...

If the PAT here is anything like NYC's MTA Bus system, there'll be all sorts of degenerates riding it... urine stench, graffiti, and the potential for violence at any given moment... and elementary-aged kids just don't ned to be exposed to such crap... the school system(s) should go ahead and invest the money into a comprehensive school bus routing system that actually works for all kids within their districts. Yeah, it may add a couple bucks to the property taxes, but in this case, I'd think it's money well spent....

Old 12-29-2008, 07:58 AM

370 posts, read 1,012,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
Looks like we've thread-jacked this one, but I have to agree; little kids riding the city bus system unchaperoned is ust askin' for trouble...

If the PAT here is anything like NYC's MTA Bus system, there'll be all sorts of degenerates riding it... urine stench, graffiti, and the potential for violence at any given moment... and elementary-aged kids just don't ned to be exposed to such crap... the school system(s) should go ahead and invest the money into a comprehensive school bus routing system that actually works for all kids within their districts. Yeah, it may add a couple bucks to the property taxes, but in this case, I'd think it's money well spent....
It all depends which area you get on the bus. Homestead is where I had problems, the 53F usually, the 55M was never crowded or had anyone on it really, so that was always ideal. After all, who would wanna goto CIII?

But the bus issue aside, I think Regent Square is lovely.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:54 PM

781 posts, read 1,612,706 times
I met my son at the school bus after school and I walked him to his school bus stop 1 block away every morning, and waitied for the bus to arrive before I left him. Everyone was always friendly, an older couple that had grandchildren on the same bus always kept an extra eye out for my son. It is a very nice community. I am sure there are criminals and sex offenders all over the planet including Pittsburgh. According to the map there were zero living near me, most of them appear to be in surrounding neighborhoods actually. I don't live in fear, I just practice caution regarding the safety of my kids.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:07 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,913,551 times
I always thought Familywatchdog was taken off line because of vigilante groups going after neighbors that already have done their time. I heard of a story on NPR that resulted in a murder with a group of people going after a child molestor.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:48 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,174,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestViewdrive View Post
LOL at the negativity from Pitt transplant. LOL, you watch too much law and order suv or something. Settle down. There are crimes in small, medium, and big towns.

Regent square is a beautiful, quiet, nice, peaceful part of the city. Kids walk around freely, people take pride in the neighborhood, and the streets even smell good. I can't say enough good things about this part of the city.

South Wilkinsburg is very nice also. I walk around that part of the area all the time. I never see anything. It is just more of the same decribed of the above. So many people are ignorant of this fact. They hear "Wilkinsburg" and think of the bombed out parts of the more northern section. Get out and walk around your city more, and try to learn it a little better.
Get freakin real

I agree you need to take a freakin walk and then come back and tell how you got jacked in beautiful wilkinsburgh.If you make it back.
Law and order my ***...why dont you talk to a COP in the area and ask them about what they did the past few weekends.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:41 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,672,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Get freakin real

I agree you need to take a freakin walk and then come back and tell how you got jacked in beautiful wilkinsburgh.If you make it back.
Law and order my ***...why dont you talk to a COP in the area and ask them about what they did the past few weekends.
I jog through Wilkinsburg, Regent Square, Edgewood every night, still very much alive over here.

Talk to a cop? I do quite often. Nothing that they have to say makes me want to pack up all my belongings on this cold and icy New Years Eve and run for my life.

If you feel uncomfortable and scared around the Regent Square area, you best stay inside and never come out. In around 7 hours, 2009 begins. Crime is every where these days.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:22 PM

283 posts, read 595,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Get freakin real

I walk through South Wilkinsburg all the time. I live in Regent Square (the Pittsburgh section), and go for walks up through edgewood, and into South Wilkinsburgh all the time. I never got jacked, and yes south Wilkinsburg is beautiful. I don't know any cops, but I am sure cops in the middle of Nebraska have to deal with meth heads and child molestors too.

You seem like you don't know the area I am talking about. I know the main section of Wilkinsburg is bad. I am talking about South Wilkinsburg in the Regent Square section. It is very nice, great houses, quiet streets, and more. I would appreciate if you wouldn't be on a internet forum talking about my neighborhood like you will get "jacked", and there are child molestors everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh