Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 10:44 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,106,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post
It's possible, but it also opens up the possibility of small "service" job only towns as options.
Anything wrong with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2020, 10:56 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,673,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Agree with you on the region stepping over dimes to grab pennies. Pittsburgh isn't a big city, but has quite a few Fortune 500 headquarters for its size and an outsized academic, tech, and medical presence which is rare. It also has a geographic setting that isn't easy for dissipating air pollution and yet somehow the region is going for natural gas projects that don't provide anywhere near as many jobs or as high a pay as those other industries but make the region less attractive in regards to air quality issues.
Well the natural gas drilling is the reason for population stability and growth in the region in the late 2000s and 2010.

https://www.rural.palegislature.us/d...Population.pdf

And PA continues to lead in natural gas production.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...roduction.html

If anything, the region got it right to embrace the gas drilling industry. I’m not sure where you come up with it isn’t providing jobs. It is the main reason the population of this area stabilized and grew a bit for the first time in 70 years. Also remember the gas plant still is not in operation. So I’m not really sure how it is making the region less attractive to air quality. I think Pittsburgh’s pollution problem is due to the population density a lot of heads on this board embrace. More diesel and vehicle emissions in the city. Nobody wants to look at that though. Let’s blame a plant 35 miles away that isn’t even in operation yet. Typical.

Pittsburgh does have an outsized academic presence. One could easily make the argument those institutions have punched way below their weight. They haven’t created all the job spinoff and economic growth we are lead to believe. If those institutions were really an economic engine we wouldn’t be talking about population loss and job growth stagnation. And interestingly enough the industry that is bastardized on here is the Main reason for job growth and population stabilization. Unrelated to the universities and CMU which have yet to prove they are a massive job growth and population growth generating engine for the region.

Old 05-24-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Agree with you on the region stepping over dimes to grab pennies. Pittsburgh isn't a big city, but has quite a few Fortune 500 headquarters for its size and an outsized academic, tech, and medical presence which is rare. It also has a geographic setting that isn't easy for dissipating air pollution and yet somehow the region is going for natural gas projects that don't provide anywhere near as many jobs or as high a pay as those other industries but make the region less attractive in regards to air quality issues.
Pittsburgh has had some of the worst air quality in the nation for decades.

Money talks. Quality jobs bring people. A lack of quality jobs causes a loss in population and keeps people away, hence lack of population growth.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Pittsburgh has had some of the worst air quality in the nation for decades.

Money talks. Quality jobs bring people. A lack of quality jobs causes a loss in population and keeps people away, hence lack of population growth.
Agreed. Manufacturing makes up the lowest percentage of jobs since they started keep track in the Pittsburgh area. And the air is still bad. The pollution is most likely due to progressive ideals, but it is easy to blame an industry that has been demonized because it assumed they are major polluters and totally destroy the earth. So let’s blame a plant 35 miles away that isn’t even in production yet.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Agreed. Manufacturing makes up the lowest percentage of jobs since they started keep track in the Pittsburgh area. And the air is still bad. The pollution is most likely due to progressive ideals, but it is easy to blame an industry that has been demonized because it assumed they are major polluters and totally destroy the earth. So let’s blame a plant 35 miles away that isn’t even in production yet.
Feelings often trump reality. If people truly cared about air quality they wouldn’t live or move to the area.

Old 05-24-2020, 09:12 PM

684 posts, read 417,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
One could easily make the argument those institutions have punched way below their weight. They haven’t created all the job spinoff and economic growth we are lead to believe. If those institutions were really an economic engine we wouldn’t be talking about population loss and job growth stagnation. And interestingly enough the industry that is bastardized on here is the Main reason for job growth and population stabilization. Unrelated to the universities and CMU which have yet to prove they are a massive job growth and population growth generating engine for the region.
Wow, I don't even know where to begin.

Since 2011, more than $1 Billion was raised in venture capital funds by CMU startup companies.

Just a few off the top of my head:
  • Duolingo
  • Netronome
  • FORE Systems (Sold for about $6 Billion to Marconi/Ericsson, and has itself spun off tons of other local companies)
  • Ottomatika
  • CarnegieLearning
  • Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center
  • ForAllSecure
  • RoboTutor
  • WeSpeke

Old 05-25-2020, 07:25 AM

179 posts, read 106,362 times
I don't see why a company would pay people SF wages if they lived in Kansas. I figure they'd go towards the locality-pay model the federal government uses. That way the employees wouldn't be able to wage-arbitrage at the expense of the companies they work for.

If the companies did it in a way that accurately leveled the playing field between different locales, I suspect we'd mostly see the remote-workers locate in places that are already desirably expensive. As long as they're worth it to the companies to pay them enough to live in San Diego or Miami or wherever.

If the companies put a cap of some kind on the remote-work pay, then I could see people calculating trade-offs and going for places that punch above their weight.

Old 05-25-2020, 07:28 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,872,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post

Since 2011, more than $1 Billion was raised in venture capital funds by CMU startup companies.

• Duolingo
  • Netronome
  • FORE Systems (Sold for about $6 Billion to Marconi/Ericsson, and has itself spun off tons of other local companies)
  • Ottomatika
  • CarnegieLearning
  • ForAllSecure
  • RoboTutor
  • WeSpeke
Wow, some good news. Thanks for posting anything positive. I am having trouble coming up with much these days.

Old 05-25-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post

• Duolingo
  • Netronome
  • Ottomatika
  • CarnegieLearning
  • ForAllSecure
  • RoboTutor
  • WeSpeke
That’s good news.

Do you have information to show how many people they employ?

Old 05-25-2020, 09:09 AM

994 posts, read 498,837 times
prnlvsxy,

some only have internet access to this site apparently and can't look things up...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh