Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 06:51 PM

615 posts, read 391,271 times

Advertisements

Companies are adding jobs like crazy in the northern WV panhandle, Pittsburgh Metro. So many that Weirton is going to see new housing development for the first time in 10 years.

Bidell gas has over 100 jobs, they came to Weirton with 40 in 2017.

Natural gas plant gets final permits in Weirton. Hundreds of new jobs coming. Perfect for those West of the city of Pittsburgh

https://www.wtrf.com/community/natur...its/1812619248

Pat Ford was the director of the URA under Pittsburgh mayor Luke Ravenstahl

https://www.wvnews.com/statejournal/...74378e84a.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 02:50 PM

3,592 posts, read 3,367,433 times
https://triblive.com/news/regional/p...r-apprentices/

Here are 22 jobs that only require only a high school degree and can possibly pay over 100 grand a year.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
https://triblive.com/news/regional/p...r-apprentices/

Here are 22 jobs that only require only a high school degree and can possibly pay over 100 grand a year.
Good post. Yes I agree 100K is possible.

I know there are folks on here that don’t care for WV or have a negative view of the state. The panhandle for sure is part of the Pittsburgh Metro. It may be hard to believe or for some people to acknowledge but there is more money and more people filtering into Weirton, Wheeling and Steubenville areas. Three springs drive is gridlock at rush hour. It seems there are a few dozen companies adding a few dozen jobs and the impact is noticeable. Not surprising they are building new homes in Weirton. A lot of jobs related to gas and energy.

Downtown wheeling is going through a resurgence. Old buildings are being renovated to residential and office space. The health plan built a brand new hq building in downtown wheeling for a few hundred employees. It was the first new office building in downtown wheeling in 30 years.

I do think Washington city, Greensburg City, Latrobe and possibly smaller cities in beaver county are following suit adding jobs and younger people are moving there and will regenerate their downtowns and business districts.

A lot of the job growth and resurgence in the Pittsburgh metro towns is being under reported or not reported at all.

Old 03-01-2019, 06:59 AM

They posted an article today about small towns and their central business district. Co share working space for new job growth in walkable small town communities. I believe the towns with existing business district like I mentioned above will be then next investment boom with housing and places where people want to live. Greensburg, New Kensington, Washington, Wheeling, Weirton, Steubenville and McKeesport are a few Pittsburgh metro towns that fit this profile.

https://triblive.com/features/more-l...-empty-spaces/

http://harrisondaily.com/news/busine...822cf5557.html

Last edited by pittsburghaccuweather; 03-01-2019 at 07:07 AM..

Old 03-01-2019, 07:14 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,854,921 times
I found myself in Greensburg and Ligonier the other day and they both were doing great. Greensburg is a very busy place that sure has a ton of restaurants for a place of its size. I have to say the one I ate at was superior to anything I have had in Pittsburgh, but maybe the lower costs translates into much better food. Had a wonderful filet, salmon, mussels and grilled brussels sprouts that were just wonderfully done.

I am not sure why city dwellers seem so intense about suburbs doing well, but it just seems so aggressive and short sided thinking. I hope our whole region including the city does well as the region is more important. Money being made in our area translates into a better core for all.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:50 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,150,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I found myself in Greensburg and Ligonier the other day and they both were doing great. Greensburg is a very busy place that sure has a ton of restaurants for a place of its size. I have to say the one I ate at was superior to anything I have had in Pittsburgh, but maybe the lower costs translates into much better food. Had a wonderful filet, salmon, mussels and grilled brussels sprouts that were just wonderfully done.

I am not sure why city dwellers seem so intense about suburbs doing well, but it just seems so aggressive and short sided thinking. I hope our whole region including the city does well as the region is more important. Money being made in our area translates into a better core for all.
I do not think you will find this generally to be the case among those of us who live in the city. Success can be had everywhere, and most urban enthusiasts would agree that redevelopment in places like Wheeling, Greensburg, New Kensington, Beaver, etc. is a great thing. I think the biggest complaints people in the city have of those who live in the suburbs and use city services are threefold:

1. Non-city residents complaining about new amenities that those of us in the city enjoy, voted for, and paid for (bike lanes, for example)

2. Non-city residents not paying their fair share for the infrastructure that they depend on to get to and from work, to obtain health services, and to be entertained

3. Greenfield development in the suburbs and exurbs that is tax-subsidized or otherwise built in low tax environments that exist purely because regional legacy costs are disproportionately borne by those remaining in the inner core, while those who move away to flee taxation think they are going somewhere more efficiently run (hint - the tax disparities between inner core areas and outlying counties, or between the densely developed Northeast and the more recently developed mid-south and Southern states are mostly a result of legacy costs remaining while outmigration occurs)

Old 03-04-2019, 06:46 PM

This is a good article on the available jobs in the Pittsburgh area. It looks like they got the attention of those in the education system. They are really trying to make it better.

There are some points of concern regarding a slow response of business to address the problem with higher education. The other point of concern is the wages being offered.

48 percent of available jobs pay less than 35,000 a year. While 70 percent of all Pittsburgh jobs pay less than 50,000 a year. The region needs to do much better with wages. Pittsburgh isn’t that cheap anymore. It will be difficult to attract and retain people. We can and should do better.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201903030003

Old 03-04-2019, 07:05 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,030,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
This is a good article on the available jobs in the Pittsburgh area. It looks like they got the attention of those in the education system. They are really trying to make it better.

There are some points of concern regarding a slow response of business to address the problem with higher education. The other point of concern is the wages being offered.

48 percent of available jobs pay less than 35,000 a year. While 70 percent of all Pittsburgh jobs pay less than 50,000 a year. The region needs to do much better with wages. Pittsburgh isn’t that cheap anymore. It will be difficult to attract and retain people. We can and should do better.

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201903030003
Interesting article. The brain drain is really hard to stop, particularly with engineering students. First off, you have to offer new grads a similar salary to what they would get in NC/TX/etc and then convince them this area (talking for Cleveland/Pittsburgh) is better. Try convincing a 22 year old to stay here - when they're getting offered $80k - $120k to go live in Austin or RTP. He/She has visions of warm beaches, high tech design, and finding a mate amongst a hoard of like minded youngsters.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Interesting article. The brain drain is really hard to stop, particularly with engineering students. First off, you have to offer new grads a similar salary to what they would get in NC/TX/etc and then convince them this area (talking for Cleveland/Pittsburgh) is better. Try convincing a 22 year old to stay here - when they're getting offered $80k - $120k to go live in Austin or RTP. He/She has visions of warm beaches, high tech design, and finding a mate amongst a hoard of like minded youngsters.
Agreed. You aren’t going to keep most people with those salaries. You will have a number of folks that stay just because of a million other reasons. We do hear a lot of those reasons on this board. However, it isn’t enough to offset those that leave or choose not to come here at all. Even if you choose a more expensive area, 401k match on 120k is much better than 60K in the long term. I have also said the lower salary and cheap cost of living gimmick doesn’t work.

With that said Wabtec is consolidating into greater downtown Pittsburgh and moving from wilmerding. It makes sense as to why greater downtown is leasing more office space than downtown itself. They are moving to the north shore.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...rtune-500.html

Old 03-04-2019, 07:17 PM

BNY Mellon reviewing work from home policy. Will the bank shed class A office space in downtown?

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...angements.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh