Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 11:42 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I agree that absolutely no one will drive into downtown Pittsburgh to go to the movies. Why do that when a space in a downtown parking garage is so much more expensive than the free parking basically anywhere else.

That said, this theater is clearly not targeted at the "drive to the movies" contingent. It's to cater to people who already have reason to be downtown (live there, staying in a hotel, have free time after work, etc), people who already had a night on the town planned for dinner/drinks, or people who don't drive much or at all. Add all those groups together and you have a pretty sizable potential population - particularly when you consider that Manor Theater is the only other urban movie theater left in Pittsburgh with more than a single screen.
There is a larger contingent of people out there than people realize that don't see paying for parking as a deterrent to where one goes for a night out. My group of friends NEVER complain about having to pay for park or driving downtown when we plan where we are going to meet up. Entertainment choice trumps paying to park all of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 11:50 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,771,337 times
Given that it seems they will have a bar / serve drinks there, I assume a lot of people not using public transit, would simply Uber or Lyft, instead of driving and parking. People already do that to go all over the place at night, so I don't see why they wouldn't take those to a movie theater downtown.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:54 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
There is a larger contingent of people out there than people realize that don't see paying for parking as a deterrent to where one goes for a night out. My group of friends NEVER complain about having to pay for park or driving downtown when we plan where we are going to meet up. Entertainment choice trumps paying to park all of the time.
Of course. My point is people will not drive downtown just to go to the movies. They'll integrate it into doing something else in the evening/weekend. After all, if all you really want is to see the latest MCU movie or something, you can probably do it cheaper somewhere else. But if you want "a night on the town" mixing in a movie can be a great thing.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:05 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I live in Polish Hill. We would definitely be willing to walk Downtown to see movies.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:24 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,749 times
Quote:
I disagree.

First, there will be people who work downtown who decide to stick around after work and see a film.

Secondly, downtown is convenient by mass transit to virtually everywhere. All of those other movie theaters are really only convenient if you want to drive there, or if you live in the neighborhood in the case of Squirrel Hill. I don't think people would take the bus downtown just to see a movie much, but if you're planning on eating dinner there or something it could easily be added to the evening.
really depends on one's own definition of convenience here. i am guessing the theatre crowd is very much in favor of driving/ubering

Old 03-01-2019, 03:31 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Get a big grocery store down there and people can have it all in walking distance. It is going to happen.
Not to completely change the subject, but a full-service grocer just failed in Uptown - a 20 minute walk from downtown. If it didn't work there - it's not going to work downtown.

Quote:
I disagree.

First, there will be people who work downtown who decide to stick around after work and see a film.

Secondly, downtown is convenient by mass transit to virtually everywhere. All of those other movie theaters are really only convenient if you want to drive there, or if you live in the neighborhood in the case of Squirrel Hill. I don't think people would take the bus downtown just to see a movie much, but if you're planning on eating dinner there or something it could easily be added to the evening.
I don't know how many folks would actually stay downtown and watch a movie after work. I say that as a downtown worker. Staying for happy hour - sure... but nobody can stay too late after work because the bus service to return people home to the suburbs diminishes as the night goes on.

So you're left with either sticking your thump up your butt while waiting for a bus that may or may not come, or forking over money for Uber. Again, I just don't see this being as popular as some folks here believe - the 'bridge and tunnel' crowd is going to take the convenient bus home after work, change, kick their feet up for a hot minute, and then go meet their friends at a more convenient cinema.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
There are many more people living in town than there were 40 years ago when town had multiple theaters that showed new releases. I suspect this will do well. Also, If I was a Pitt student I'd much rather bus it to town than to the South Side or Squirrel Hill.
40 years ago was completely different - downtown was still a retail destination in and of itself. People would go there for shopping - to Kaufman's, etc. Don't you remember how upset all the old Yinzers were when Macy's closed downtown and those folks wouldn't be able to go ride the escalators once a year and eat at Tick-Tock?
Look at all of the retail that downtown has lost in the last few years: Kaufman's/Macy's, Lord & Taylor...

Just because more people live there now doesn't mean that more will patronize the movie theater - those who went to the cinema 40 years ago downtown weren't living there either. There was something else to bring them in.

Quote:
That said, this theater is clearly not targeted at the "drive to the movies" contingent. It's to cater to people who already have reason to be downtown (live there, staying in a hotel, have free time after work, etc), people who already had a night on the town planned for dinner/drinks, or people who don't drive much or at all. Add all those groups together and you have a pretty sizable potential population - particularly when you consider that Manor Theater is the only other urban movie theater left in Pittsburgh with more than a single screen.
Waterworks is a multi-screen theater that is technically within the City of Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Yes, I just suspect the already in town crowd will not be able to support this long term. I know many people who work downtown and none would goto the movies there after work. Then you have people going out for entertainment which not sure most would pick downtown if the plan was dinner/drinks and a movie. Those who live there, sure but out of town folks in hotels are not likely to hit up a movie. I travel alot as do most people I work with and if we are in another town there are so many things we'd rather do than a movie.

Again, they will have clients but I can only imaging the costs downtown to operate and just can't see if they are charging standard prices they could survive especially with limited screens.
I agree with eschaton that this theater is targeted at people who already have a reason to be downtown.
But I agree with Knepper3 that there are not enough such people to make this a viable long-term thing. I don't think that the downtown workers are going to stay downtown for a movie - for reasons I mentioned above.
I don't think hotel guests are going to visit the cinema either. Downtown hotel guests are either tourists, or folks in town for business. Tourists aren't going to waste their vacation by watching a movie that they could watch when they get home. And if businesspeople's employers are paying to put them up downtown - those folks are enjoying their per diem at a bar or restaurant, especially if they can take their clients there and charge it to their expense account.

The cinema I see as a bit of an apples/oranges mish-mash with the restaurants. If you're going to a theater or the symphony, it makes sense to go to a place like tako or Meat & Potatoes or Ten Penny or McCormick & Schmick.
If you're going to the movies - you're going to go to a place like Burgatory or Cheesecake Factory to eat.

I just don't see this location working for a multi-screen cinema... the Cultural District is a good fit for a small arthouse cinema like Harris Theater. But I don't think its a good fit for a multiscreen cinema.

Quote:
I think part of the reason why this can work is because - as I said - there are simply almost no movie theaters left in the city. If there was a big one in Oakland or East Liberty it would be different, because the college/East End crowd would have somewhere more convenient to go. But for the most part, you have to go to the suburbs to see movies if you live in the city, which signals a big untapped market.
But from the East End, who would want to go downtown? Manor Theater is in Sq Hill. Loews is just across the bridge in Homestead. SouthSide Works is home to a cinema. Waterworks is within City limits.

Old 03-01-2019, 03:43 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
People who don’t live in the city don’t believe downtown movie theater will work. News at 11.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:10 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,899 times
Point Park has a hefty student population downtown and Duquesne is right there to, so that population most likely would use it.

Also, the Hill District Shop ’n Save is not a good barometer for how a downtown grocery store would work. No one is saying downtown needs a Market District Giant Eagle, but a Trader Joes would make a killing. No one from the downtown area near Market Square was ever going to walk 25 mins one way to Shop ’n Save and back to pick up a few things during the work day. Smithfield Street? Yes. If you can’t see the difference of downtown workers and residents walking a block or two to grab some groceries, versus an hour+ round trip walk to a grocery store, than you are purposefully being obtuse.

Old 03-01-2019, 04:24 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,200,791 times
Quote:
Point Park has a hefty student population downtown and Duquesne is right there to, so that population most likely would use it.

Also, the Hill District Shop ’n Save is not a good barometer for how a downtown grocery store would work. No one is saying downtown needs a Market District Giant Eagle, but a Trader Joes would make a killing. No one from the downtown area near Market Square was ever going to walk 25 mins one way to Shop ’n Save and back to pick up a few things during the work day. Smithfield Street? Yes. If you can’t see the difference of downtown workers and residents walking a block or two to grab some groceries, versus an hour+ round trip walk to a grocery store, than you are purposefully being obtuse.
If there was money to be made with a grocery store, someone would be making it.

Old 03-01-2019, 05:00 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
People who don’t live in the city don’t believe downtown movie theater will work. News at 11.
Yup - even though I work downtown, and even though I'm one of the people that other posters agree am targeted as a potential customer of this cinema - because I live a mile outside of the borders of the City my opinion is worthless in your eyes.

Gotta love that open-mindedness and tolerance.

Quote:

Again - more apples and oranges.
Earlier talk in this thread was that this would be an upscale theater, top of the line food, drinks, etc. The type of theater to cater to people who would enjoy the other types of cultural and culinary amenities in the Cultural District. People pay for that. College kids dont have money - they look for cheap deals. On the one hand, this thread is talking about attracting to this cinema the types of people who go to Heinz Hall and Vallozzi's, and on the hand hand we're defending that this decision will be economically viable because there's a lot of college kids downtown. This isn't adding up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
If there was money to be made with a grocery store, someone would be making it.
Indeed! Here is whats going on - a very upscale, boutique 'grocery'. Market Street Grocery - Home
Places like CVS, especially the CVS near Market Square already sell extremely basic sundries.
What the heck would people buy downtown that they already can't? Places like CVS are already for like "I need a snack or a quick and cheap meal or eggs or milk for when I get home".

The obtuseness is people insisting that what downtown needs is more generic amenities. There doesn't need to be a grocery store. There doesn't need to be a cinema. They're not convenient for that location.

What's needed downtown are attractions that are unique enough to overcome the inconvenience factor. Like the theaters in the Cultural District. Like the independent small screen cinema in the Cultural District. There's an escape room downtown - that's pretty unique. The year-round rooftop bar (Il Tetto) at Sienna Mercato is unique. Fort Pitt Museum and Point State Park are both unique. Market Square has a unique ambiance - and special, unique events throughout the year (Christmas Market, the ice rink, the farmers market on Thursdays when the weather is decent, etc, etc)... PPG Paints Arena is unique.
If a place like Dave and Busters had opened inside of the old Macy's building (instead of in the old Northway Mall in McCandless) - that would be a unique draw to downtown. There has to be something more to draw people downtown than two streets with theaters, a handful of nice restaurants, a square, a park, empty office buildings, and crackheads waiting for a bus transfer.

The development of downtown isn't necessarily a bad thing. But there needs to be something unique to actually draw people there. A cinema ain't gonna do it - its misplaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh