Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:38 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,341 times

Advertisements

Well, everyone has a right to like what they like...nothing wrong with prefering Denny's over Ruth's Chris if that's your thing. We're talking about personal opinion, and opinions will never all agree.

I personally don't like the Mill's. I think it's hickish and the stores suck, Pitts10yrs doesn't like to watch movies in Allegheny county....Pitts can go to the Mills and avoid the rest of Allegheny county, I can avoid the Mills...everybody's happy so what's the problem? The world is big enough for everyone.

Finally, stop trying to use the argument "...I don't like Monroeville, therefore the Mills is awesome...". Personally, I think the Monroeville mall is perfectly average, but liking or disliking the Monroeville Mall has nothing to do with whether or not the Mills sucks. If it's less confusing, you can imagine I only mentioned Ross Park. So, pretend I said, "I don't like the Mills, I prefer the crowd at Ross Park".

PS

This is only my opinion, but I think some of this confusion comes from the belief that all black people are "inner city hillbillies". If you can't distinguish a black person from Homewood and a black person from Sewickley. If you don't understand that black people span the entire social spectrum. If, instead, you feel more comfortable lumping all black people into one monolithic category....then I guess it's pretty easy to see where a lot of these opinions come from. But this is America, and in America it's your right to dumb-it-down to your own personal comfort level.....but I'm getting off-topic, we're talking about the Mills and I don't want to change the subject.

Last edited by zip95; 04-13-2008 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:31 AM

353 posts, read 1,728,491 times
"Regarding the hicks issue... I'm sorry but to suggest that Monroeville has a more sophisticated population than nearly anywhere else in Pittsburgh makes me laugh -- and if I saw someone walking around Monroeville Mall wearing Prada I'd wonder where the heck they thought they were."

I agree. Although, I not happy with the selection of stores at the Mills, I think that will change in time. But, to suggest that Monroeville Mall or South Hill Village is upscale
really makes me laugh!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:58 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghREA View Post
"Regarding the hicks issue... I'm sorry but to suggest that Monroeville has a more sophisticated population than nearly anywhere else in Pittsburgh makes me laugh -- and if I saw someone walking around Monroeville Mall wearing Prada I'd wonder where the heck they thought they were."

I agree. Although, I not happy with the selection of stores at the Mills, I think that will change in time. But, to suggest that Monroeville Mall or South Hill Village is upscale
really makes me laugh!
You can always disagree with me, but make sure you disagree with what I actually said and meant. Don't twist my comments and then argue against something I never stated.

I never said Monroeville or South Hills Village where upscale. I said Monroeville is perfectly average, and Monroeville, Ross Park, and South Hills Village are not hickish. I also said I prefer Prada over Steelers Jerseys which has nothing to do with upscale or downscale and everything to do with culture (that's easy to see since you can buy Steelers Jerseys that cost more than Prada Shirts). I'm talking about culture. In fact I don't think Pittsburgh has any truly upscale shopping areas....Some thing in the North Hills could emerge....time will tell.

Anyway, for the record, here's my opinion.

Top Tier
Southside works -- Pittsburgh's Flagship
WaterFront -- pretty nice although not as nice as Southside works

Middle Tier
Ross Park -- slightly above average
Monroeville -- average
South Hills village -- average
Robinson -- average but with more modern architecture

Bottom Tier
Century III -- worst in Pittsburgh
Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills -- country and the stores suck
Waterworks -- I place waterworks in the bottom tier only because it feels like a glorified shopping center.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:11 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Ross Park's getting a Nordstrom's and a Tiffany store (and there are rumors of a Crate & Barrel,) which should bump it up toward the more upscale end of the spectrum.

I like the Waterfront, but it's really just an outdoor mall with the same stores as South Hills Village or Robinson.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:38 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,067,760 times
Rosspark is without question the highest tier mall in Pittsburgh if you're talking about the scale of the shops.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:45 PM

275 posts, read 628,284 times
My parents are native to the area, but moved away, and have since retired to Florida. Returning here to visit is hard from them, Pittsburgh has a lot charm, diversity, and history that makes it very interesting. When visiting my dad made a comment that stuck in my head, "Everything is so old here, run down, and dirty...I never noticed that till I moved away." He was very charmed by visiting the Mills, seeing all new stores, a clean mall, and again, though some may not say, good customer service. Certainly I am not defending Florida, or putting down Pittsburgh, they both have there place.

I have to agree with Zip in some way, since I have a friend in Delmont and I do ocassionally go there to eat, and catch a movie. Its very boring the people are rather backward, some might describe them as "hicks", but they do lack sophistication of some sort. I guess with so many universities and colleges in the Pittsburgh area you get a diversity of views, an educated at that. If you really want "hicks" drop down in Blairsville....their whole world there revolves around high school football. (No I am not from Blairsville.)

Old 04-13-2008, 01:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Ross Park's getting a Nordstrom's and a Tiffany store (and there are rumors of a Crate & Barrel,) which should bump it up toward the more upscale end of the spectrum.

I like the Waterfront, but it's really just an outdoor mall with the same stores as South Hills Village or Robinson.
H***, they're ALL the same. I am not a big believer in the "homogenization of America", but you can go to the 16th St. Mall in Denver and see the same stores. Macy's bought out a dept store chain in our area, too. Now it's Macy's coast to coast for moderate priced dept. store merchandise. That is just one example.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
H***, they're ALL the same. I am not a big believer in the "homogenization of America"
It's a difficult market. People need the power of the brand name behind the product to spend that kind of money. For example, if Rosspark Mall or any other mall for that matter started putting in a bunch of one-of-a-kind and unique shops/boutiques/merchants that sold absolutely beautiful clothes but at up-scale and designer prices, it would never make it.

I mean, you'd probably get your posh folks who may browse and purchase some things because they genuinely like the merchandise (like Chick Downtown is doing okay) but it's not sustainable. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but the time of "one-of-a-kinds" is gone.

It'll all be the same from Pittsburgh to Denver to California to Vermont and back again. Aside from perhaps a few exceptions in markets where exceptions can actually make it, for example, Beverly Hills where money is literally no object, it's hard to complain about stuff being all the same when there's really no other option.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but the time of "one-of-a-kinds" is gone.
Too true, as my British friend likes to say. I'm not sure if there ever was such a time, except for designer clothes. When my mom was a little kid growing up in N. Wisconsin, her family made liberal use of the Sears catalog. She probably was dressed just like the kids in Pittsburgh, LOL!

Old 04-13-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Too true, as my British friend likes to say. I'm not sure if there ever was such a time, except for designer clothes. When my mom was a little kid growing up in N. Wisconsin, her family made liberal use of the Sears catalog. She probably was dressed just like the kids in Pittsburgh, LOL!
Do you think maybe mass media and marketing killed it? I bet before the Sears Catalog everything had to be one-of-a-kind from the local merchants.

There WAS a time before the chain, but I imagine things like catalogs and radio and later TV and internet put an end to all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh