Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 12:00 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
On the bright side if more people start taking the Lincoln Highway between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia as the tolls continue to rise on the adjacent PA Turnpike, then maybe some of the struggling older "Main Street" towns along U.S. Route 30 will start to experience a revival as more motorists passing through decide to stop, shop, dine, explore, fuel up, etc.
I like this comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 01:23 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Is there any info easily available on how much PTC money goes to PAT and SEPTA, and what that funding represents as a portion of each public transit agency's budget?

At any rate, I totally agree with briantroutman, there is a lot to the PTC issues when you look under the hood, and a lot of the current issues have more to do with the state legislature than the PTC itself.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:41 PM

273 posts, read 318,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Is there any info easily available on how much PTC money goes to PAT and SEPTA, and what that funding represents as a portion of each public transit agency's budget?
Yes, that information is all public record.

According to PAT’s 2018 budget, total revenues—including fares collected, earnings from advertising on busses, etc.—were just under $102 million. Expenses, however, were just shy of $420 million, leaving a deficit of $318 million for last year alone. That shortfall was covered through subsidies: The feds kicked in about $36 million, and local and regional governments/authorities provided about $40 million more. The bottom line is that the state (and therefore, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission) provided nearly $242 million or almost 58% of PAT’s total budget. Were it not for the transfer of funds from the PTC to PAT, that $242 million would have to be supplied from some other source—higher gas taxes, the state’s general fund (and therefore sales and income taxes), etc. Or PAT’s budget would have to be cut by more than half. What would Pittsburgh transit look like then?

And before an armchair blowhard supplies a predictable response along the lines of “More wasteful government spending on mass transit that nobody wants...”:

Nearly ALL public transit—not only in the U.S. but also in dense, transit-loving Europe—requires more funding than its own revenues provide. Yes, even in New York City, with the highest rate of transit usage in the country, revenue from fares makes up only 44% of the MTA’s budget. This is known as the farebox recovery ratio. Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are reasonably respectable at 39% and 24%, respectively. Cleveland is at 18%; Dallas is at 14%.

You could look at that as being a money-losing venture...if you expect our cities and states to be run as ruthlessly as businesses. Personally, I don’t. No, public transit isn’t in itself profitable. Neither are K-12 schools, universities, public parks, museums...and on and on. Nor should they be. We as a society have determined that these institutions add value in ways that can’t be measured in dollars and cents—and are therefore worth our investment.

Last edited by briantroutman; 03-06-2019 at 03:33 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 01:18 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
They gotta do something about that Act 44. It is too much!!

https://triblive.com/news/pennsylvan...pasquale-says/

Old 03-21-2019, 07:21 PM

433 posts, read 287,434 times
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
On the bright side if more people start taking the Lincoln Highway between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia as the tolls continue to rise on the adjacent PA Turnpike, then maybe some of the struggling older "Main Street" towns along U.S. Route 30 will start to experience a revival as more motorists passing through decide to stop, shop, dine, explore, fuel up, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
I like this comment.
I like the comment as well. Avoid PA Turnpike. Rt30 is also really beautiful in places, particularly from Breezewood to Chambersburg. Although, I wouldn't want to have to drive a big truck through this section.

Last edited by Tractor Face; 03-21-2019 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 03-22-2019, 07:12 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
I was in Lancaster last year and on my return trip I took Route 30. Great little towns along the way, unfortunately I missed peach season in Chambersburg. Stopped in Gettysburg for a quick tour, hadn't been there since junior high. Stopped at the Flight 93 site as well. Takes a lot longer, but if you have the time, it's a very scenic ride.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:29 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
I took the Breezewood to Gettysburg leg as well a few years ago. Beautiful drive. Hairpin turns. NO TRUCKS.

Old 03-22-2019, 09:47 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
If you have the time, Route 30 is a beautiful drive across the state. Pretty mountainous around Breezewood, especially at the hairpin curve that splits into two separate lanes (one uphill/one downhill) to navigate the grade and curve. Much of the original road has been rerouted around the towns, but you can still follow the original route in places and go right through some towns.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,336 times
I’ve never taken the turnpike to Philly. I prefer 22 out to Altoona then up 99 to State College and 322 down into Harrisburg. If I lived in the southern suburbs I’d consider catching 68 across WV and MD to 81. A little less direct but time wise it’s only about an hour slower than the turnpike.

Then again I’m never in that big of a hurry where I can’t spare an hour or two to take the scenic route. Some feel the need to get where they are going ASAP; if I need to get to Philly that fast I’ll just fly. Paying those tolls is insane!

Old 03-23-2019, 01:13 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanduskysKids View Post
I’ve never taken the turnpike to Philly. I prefer 22 out to Altoona then up 99 to State College and 322 down into Harrisburg. If I lived in the southern suburbs I’d consider catching 68 across WV and MD to 81. A little less direct but time wise it’s only about an hour slower than the turnpike.

Then again I’m never in that big of a hurry where I can’t spare an hour or two to take the scenic route. Some feel the need to get where they are going ASAP; if I need to get to Philly that fast I’ll just fly. Paying those tolls is insane!

I've taken the same route to Harrisburg, very pretty drive. Try going onto Huntingdon and then toward Belleville where you can pick up 322. A lot of Amish homes and great scenery.

If you need to get to Philly fast, DRIVE. That airport is the worst and for a 40 minute flight you'll spend 5 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh