Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 06:34 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,968,600 times

Advertisements

Slightly lower than the national average.

https://www.wesa.fm/post/pittsburgh-...-its-been-1970
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 08:42 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Good. Maybe at some point Pittsburghers' wages will begin to increase to match the rapidly rising rents?

I mean I've worked at my office for roughly three years. We've been understaffed since at least that time. I've been soaking up a ton of overtime because we can't attract enough qualified applicants to apply at the starting wage (~$15/hr.) that is offered who don't have a needle hanging out of their arms.

Pittsburgh's not a "cheap" city anymore where $30,000/year is "good money". Pittsburgh's employers REALLY need to start loosening their purse strings. I worked at PNC just several years ago and made ~$10/hr., too, while wearing a tie. Meanwhile PNC is one of the largest banks in the country. It's literally insulting how low the hourly wages are that many Pittsburghers that aren't in the "tech" scene/sector are paid.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:55 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Good. Maybe at some point Pittsburghers' wages will begin to increase to match the rapidly rising rents?

I mean I've worked at my office for roughly three years. We've been understaffed since at least that time. I've been soaking up a ton of overtime because we can't attract enough qualified applicants to apply at the starting wage (~$15/hr.) that is offered who don't have a needle hanging out of their arms.

Pittsburgh's not a "cheap" city anymore where $30,000/year is "good money". Pittsburgh's employers REALLY need to start loosening their purse strings. I worked at PNC just several years ago and made ~$10/hr., too, while wearing a tie. Meanwhile PNC is one of the largest banks in the country. It's literally insulting how low the hourly wages are that many Pittsburghers that aren't in the "tech" scene/sector are paid.
Wages will begin to rise after rents for older apartments begin to fall. Just gotta keep waiting....

Old 03-14-2019, 05:25 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,968,600 times
Quote:

You’re half-right. Wages are relatively low, but Pittsburgh is still cheap. You can still purchase a single-family home in a safe neighborhood or first ring suburb for under 100k. The US median home price is 200k.

As far as your organization goes; you’re a government employee lower wages come with the territory. Traditionally, people have been willing to take wages lower than those of the private sector, in exchange for the stability and benefits of a government job.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:56 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:

Much better chance of finding a better paying job than expecting wages to go up.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:15 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,504 times
Yeah I have a buddy from NJ Transit, don't know his salary but he lives average but he started early and at like 53 he gets basically full salary pension

Old 03-15-2019, 06:05 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,272 times
I would also like to add, you cannot sit and wait for your salary to rise. If you are not seeing the gains you would like, or expect, after a few years of quality performance, you need to move on. The money is out there, you just have to chase it.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:16 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,775,115 times
Yep I always understood that the pensions were the big reason people want government jobs, they're usually much better than anything you can do with a 401k

Old 03-15-2019, 08:34 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,132,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I would also like to add, you cannot sit and wait for your salary to rise. If you are not seeing the gains you would like, or expect, after a few years of quality performance, you need to move on. The money is out there, you just have to chase it.

This is very true, people now are lucky to get 2-3% raise each year. Its nice for a slow steady increase and keep up with inflation but it doesnt really afford you to move up in life. I had a friend who year in and year out just crushed it at work yet each year the raise was no different. Promotions were just title changes resulting in the same annual raise. People who well under performed got 1% less. He eventually split and got a nice 20% bump in new salary.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:35 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Excellent advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh