Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:30 PM

146 posts, read 133,706 times

Advertisements

While looking over a list of the school districts in Allegheny Co. with the highest taxes, most of the schools either have serious financial issues, like Penn Hills, or are small districts in depressed areas that really should combine with other schools, like Wilkinsburg, East Allegheny, Brentwood, etc.

But, South Fayette is near the top too and they stand out. This is not a poor area and it isn't a small, dying township. It's a growing twp with a solid tax base and an excellent school district. I don't believe they recently remodeled their schools to cause this, so what's the deal? Is it just a wildly mismanaged school district? How is this place growing so rapidly with such a high tax rate? At 26.7 mills that would be over $8k just in school taxes alone on a $300k home, which there are plenty of in that township with all the new construction. You'd think that kind of insanity would detract buyers at some point. Why isn't anyone rioting over this in South Fayette???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 05:14 AM

265 posts, read 150,575 times
Sounds about par for the course for Allegheny county.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:48 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amattaro View Post
Sounds about par for the course for Allegheny county.
they are definitely high and people know it. it has kept a couple of my friends from buying. mt lebo is also known as being very high. mccandless or ross is best bang for your buck in the county, imho for suburban areas.city is awesome as well though.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:15 AM

5,298 posts, read 6,176,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinsFan14 View Post

But, South Fayette is near the top too and they stand out. This is not a poor area and it isn't a small, dying township. It's a growing twp with a solid tax base and an excellent school district. I don't believe they recently remodeled their schools to cause this, so what's the deal?

Act 88 of 1992 is a big culprit. It was written essentially by operatives of the teachers unions and gives those unions carte blanche in demanding and receiving pay and benefits increases. The other big reason is that the Commonwealth of PA does not grant its citizens a mandatory and binding referendum on local municipal bond proposals to build or renovate schools or for other purposes. If a school board wants to build a new $50 million dollar high school all that they must do locally is to hold an "act 34 of 1973" meeting. To heck with the taxpayers.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:23 PM

270 posts, read 340,855 times
I live in Upper St Clair and our taxes are not much different than SF. Neither are Mt. Lebanon's. All three of those townships have top-notch schools though so if it makes you feel better you can imagine that its like getting reasonably-priced private schools that your neighbors are subsidizing. It's really a raw deal in the lower-quality school districts in Allegheny Co. that still have the high taxes and not much to show for it in return.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:40 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,038 times
On a tangentially-related topic, I am curious why school taxes in Allegheny County are generally higher per dollar of current market real estate value than in surrounding counties. As far as I can tell, other than having a common basis for evaluating property values, the school districts are not related in any way that would tie them to their county, aside from maybe a few shared special education programs. I have always hypothesized that it has to do with legacy costs, but that would not seem to be the case for a school district like South Fayette, where growth is certainly more recent (probably on par with or exceeding Peter's Township in nearby Washington County).

Anyone have any good, critical insights here?

Note, I am not looking for things like "greed", "liberals", etc. I am really honestly interested in an assessment of the tax situation for Allegheny County schools vs. surrounding counties. It has never felt right to me, but no one has ever been able to explain why.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:43 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,695,165 times
Always thought it not equal that an older retired couple in Mt. Leb pay school taxes but a person renting there with 3 kids in public school pay nothing.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:48 PM

270 posts, read 340,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Always thought it not equal that an older retired couple in Mt. Leb pay school taxes but a person renting there with 3 kids in public school pay nothing.
Trust me, those renters are paying the taxes indirectly through their rents.

But I agree that lots of empty nesters are subsidizing the schools for those who still have kids in school. Makes me wonder why so many of them hang around. I suppose their mortgage is paid and they maybe are getting treated kindly at reassesment time if they have owned the house for many years. And yes, there is that "volume discount"- the more kids you have the cheaper the effective school cost, if you look at it that way.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:10 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,024 times
Quote:
My tenants cover my property taxes.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:24 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,541,508 times
Quote:

Already been answered. But, don't forget, when that retired couple had kids in the system, no doubt ANOTHER retired couple was helping them by paying. What about someone with 1 kid vs 4 kids? Should they pay less? I pay some of the highest school taxes living in McCandless, doesn't bother me. I value the education they provide.

But even though I don't live in the Pine-Richland SD, that frickin' 10 million dollar football stadium really honks me off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh