Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 12:12 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge23 View Post

Not sure if it's still the same in "New Pittsburgh" - I'm sure in a place like Lawrenceville where everyone's new to the area it might be different. Those people are just aloof and unfriendly because it's cool (LOL, joking....well, kinda).

No, that's not a joke. Those people are the least friendly folks you'll ever meet. They only associate with people who are basically clones of themselves. That's why they move to those neighborhoods in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2023, 03:40 PM

27 posts, read 8,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDC123 View Post
born and bread Pittsburghers.
That all sounds awful, but I think we do knead to hear more about these "bread Pittsburghers" - they sound delicious.

Old 02-18-2023, 03:44 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
No, that's not a joke. Those people are the least friendly folks you'll ever meet. They only associate with people who are basically clones of themselves. That's why they move to those neighborhoods in the first place.
Very socially awkward. That is okay though as they are true Guinea pigs that dealt with the poisonous internet at a young age. Shame people can’t see it.

Old 02-18-2023, 04:59 PM

36 posts, read 59,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burghophilia-16 View Post
That all sounds awful, but I think we do knead to hear more about these "bread Pittsburghers" - they sound delicious.

Good job finding one of many typos and punctuation errors in my text.

Are you from Canonsburg by any chance? You sound familiar.

Old 02-18-2023, 05:37 PM

27 posts, read 8,024 times
Quote:
Good job finding one of many typos and punctuation errors in my text.
I'd characterize it more as a "malapropism" than a typo.

Old 02-18-2023, 05:55 PM

36 posts, read 59,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burghophilia-16 View Post
I'd characterize it more as a "malapropism" than a typo.
as long as it isn't a "priapism", you're good.

Old 03-10-2024, 01:18 PM

2 posts, read 972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Ha. The UU church has become a woke left-wing political arm of the Democratic Party. Not what a church is supposed to be. Flying a bunch of flags on the grounds. Electronic billboards telling us how to think, etc. I speak from experience. It's a joke now. I'd actually advise AGAINST visiting a UU church.
I’ve been going to the local UU church for 1-2 years and I guess I agree that it’s “woke,” as opposed to blind and asleep. Which is why I go there…

I am always fascinated how so many otherwise sensible folks, hunting for the right words to insult liberals, can so often come up with nothing more substantial than describing them as enlightened, encouraging, accepting, etc. With their social justice and those flags telling historically-maligned people that they care about them. How awful.

“No, you don’t understand… many of those people are hypocrites and just pretending to care about others!”

Uh, okay. As opposed to which not hypocritical group? People are selfish. I’m selfish. But I’m trying to do better. Maybe my yard sign telling gay kids that I see them is just “virtue signaling” (another term that is confusing to me… should I hide all my virtue and only let the worst parts of me show through?). Maybe my little flag is just my (admittedly very weak) attempt to let someone who is hurting know that there people out there that care about them.

Is my little rant relevant to the nature of living in Sunset Hills? I think so. My neighbors on the left are on the political right, and my neighbors on the right on on the political left. I’m a libertarian. And we all hang out in the street and talk, and we don’t all agree, and we sometimes avoid saying what we really think, for the sake of getting along… but THIS, for me, is the character of Sunset Hills. The military sent me so many places I don’t want to go back to, but I came back here because my neighbors have diverse perspectives, because we spend hours standing in the street talking to each other, and because it feels like a safe place for my kids to ride their bikes or take the dog for a walk. Is it more liberal than conservative? Yes, but this is definitely my preference (in the current era of conservatism anyway). Is it pretty white? Yes, which isn’t ideal from my perspective… I think diversity (in every sense) is inherently good. But it’s where we ended up… was sort of by accident, but I’m happy enough with it. Anyway, it’s changing for the better (particularly at the UU church I mentioned).

This was my experience and perspective. It’s clearly not everyone’s.

Old 03-10-2024, 06:15 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
One thing I have noticed about all born and bread Pittsburghers is that they are all hypersensitive to any criticism. They take it as a personal attack, which is incredible. Look up any negative video or thread about Pittsburgh and read the comments. How can anything improve if we can't accept our flaws and try to make them better? Just a thought.
Well, honestly, people are far less likely to tolerate broad generalizations, or take seriously those who make them. That's human nature, regardless of geography. In fact, broad generalizations based on geography are just as ignorant as those based on race, religion, sexual preference, or any other demographic.

Old 03-14-2024, 12:37 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,312,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo Tobit View Post
I’ve been going to the local UU church for 1-2 years and I guess I agree that it’s “woke,” as opposed to blind and asleep. Which is why I go there…

I am always fascinated how so many otherwise sensible folks, hunting for the right words to insult liberals, can so often come up with nothing more substantial than describing them as enlightened, encouraging, accepting, etc. With their social justice and those flags telling historically-maligned people that they care about them. How awful.

“No, you don’t understand… many of those people are hypocrites and just pretending to care about others!”

Uh, okay. As opposed to which not hypocritical group? People are selfish. I’m selfish. But I’m trying to do better. Maybe my yard sign telling gay kids that I see them is just “virtue signaling” (another term that is confusing to me… should I hide all my virtue and only let the worst parts of me show through?). Maybe my little flag is just my (admittedly very weak) attempt to let someone who is hurting know that there people out there that care about them.

Is my little rant relevant to the nature of living in Sunset Hills? I think so. My neighbors on the left are on the political right, and my neighbors on the right on on the political left. I’m a libertarian. And we all hang out in the street and talk, and we don’t all agree, and we sometimes avoid saying what we really think, for the sake of getting along… but THIS, for me, is the character of Sunset Hills. The military sent me so many places I don’t want to go back to, but I came back here because my neighbors have diverse perspectives, because we spend hours standing in the street talking to each other, and because it feels like a safe place for my kids to ride their bikes or take the dog for a walk. Is it more liberal than conservative? Yes, but this is definitely my preference (in the current era of conservatism anyway). Is it pretty white? Yes, which isn’t ideal from my perspective… I think diversity (in every sense) is inherently good. But it’s where we ended up… was sort of by accident, but I’m happy enough with it. Anyway, it’s changing for the better (particularly at the UU church I mentioned).

This was my experience and perspective. It’s clearly not everyone’s.
You rebut all of your own arguments, so it's hard to know what to say to this. As far as I can tell, there aren't many gay people in Mt. Lebanon. There certainly aren't any black or hispanic people. Putting signs in front of your house or church telling the world how much you love people whom you show no interest in living near or sending your kids to school with is disingenuous, at best. You say that you live in Mt. Lebanon by accident or something, but I can't imagine what could be stopping you from moving to, say, Beechview, and sending your kids to the much more diverse Pittsburgh Public Schools.

You claim that everyone else is a hypocrite, but fI'm not sure who you're talking about. So that guy with the "Don't Tread on Me" flag outside his house secretly wants the government to tread on him? The guy with the Steelers flag secretly roots against the Steelers?

Mt. Lebanon is "changing for the better," by which you seem to seem to mean, "is becoming less white?" I don't see how that could even be possible, at least not to any serious degree. It is losing population in general, though. The population of Lebo dropped 2.5% between 2020 and 2022. I wonder why?

Old 03-15-2024, 07:06 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,691,854 times
I lived and raised children in Lebo rather recently. Went to UU church for years. Great people back then. Some hypocrites. Like "feed the hungry" but wouldn't volunteer at a food kitchen. Many often ridiculed other religions. The UU church of today I don't care for. Too many messages. But just my opinion. Mt Lebanon real estate is always a good investment though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh