Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 07:45 AM

36 posts, read 59,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catia View Post
I lived in Mt Lebo for a year of so when I was in high school. I made MANY friends, & kept a lot of those friends after I moved.
The larger issue was the parents. It seemed that it was 'fashionable' for the parents to *appear* accepting in public, but at home was another issue entirely.
Unfortunately, I also had similar encounters. For example, I have a brand new neighbor (the only nice person in the neighborhood) and his friend who is Hispanic-American was visiting him. Well, one of the long time residents spotted him, and yelled out - who the hell are you? He also got pulled over a few times by police, for no reason.

In another instance, a different neighbor was hosting an exchange student, and wanting to clear the air, she said: I just don't want you to think that he's my son. My son is the tall good looking one. She was completely embarrassed by the idea that someone might think this 'subhuman' was her son.

Yet another neighbor said that she was 'really fond of those people' that moved out of our house [as opposed to the savages that moved in, hint hint (us).] lol I couldn't make this up. Insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Barker View Post
Catia - what an ordeal! I think your advice is spot on. Once you are in a cohort with disagreeable characteristics it is hard to move out of it. I think the city might be the answer, but not all neighborhoods. Certainly Regent Square seems to attract a lot of transplants. I hope it can somehow work out for OP in ML especially given the cost (financial, time/effort, emotional) and disruption of moving.
We are researching other areas now. As much as we love our house, at this point, it feels more like a cage. I still believe Pittsburgh in general is a welcoming city and I am hoping to find a more suitable neighborhood. Thank you so much to everyone for your empathy and guidance.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:25 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,231 times
You'd be fine in most city neighborhoods, not just the East End. There's a certain judgmental aspect to most 1st ring suburbs here, some are worse than others. Don't judge Pittsburgh as a whole by your Mt Lebo experience though and good luck to you!

Old 03-28-2019, 08:30 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Good luck, I can understand with kids and yes schools seem very specific to the grades vs the school. We moved to Pittsburgh when our kids were in elementary and middle school. Still early but the big difference we see in most Pgh areas is people just don't move. They grow up then raise their family in the same place so the relationships are long set and hard for new kids to make a spot. My son had no real issues and still talks with many of his school friends after but my daughter always felt like she was working to fit in. Sports helped a lot which my kids loved. My daughter only really keeps in touch with a couple HS friends. I don't regret where we moved, they got a good education which was the point and not sure it would have been different anywhere else.
That said I would agree if you are unhappy don't force yourself to stay just for the house, there are many houses out there. I grew up with a single mom and worked hard my entire life, I am just more comfortable around hard working people and unfortunately nicer areas you run into more of the snobby people.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:51 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times
I think certain pockets of Pittsburgh and the surrounding suburbs are just clique. I don't live where you do, but I live out in the Eastern Suburbs, and its pretty white, but what really amazes me is the number of people living here that went to High School here, or a district over. And their families are all here. It's nuts. When I lived in Texas, everyone on the street was from somewhere else. Nothing like this.

Then you have the sports which are big (and highly political), and all the Catholics doing the Catholic things. Even the ladies in the PTO are nuts. It can sometimes be hard for outsiders to fit in without a little work.

Old 03-28-2019, 09:12 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I think certain pockets of Pittsburgh and the surrounding suburbs are just clique. I don't live where you do, but I live out in the Eastern Suburbs, and its pretty white, but what really amazes me is the number of people living here that went to High School here, or a district over. And their families are all here. It's nuts. When I lived in Texas, everyone on the street was from somewhere else. Nothing like this.
I'm not from here, I'm from a suburban town in Connecticut. Not a small town, not a working-class one, just a slice of faceless suburbs with about 36,000 people. Sometimes I'm on Facebook though, and see people I knew growing up but was not close to comment on friends posts. I'm always shocked at how many of them still live in my hometown (I'm going to be 40 this year). I all but ran from the place screaming. And with an exception of a few people who developed health issues or something and couldn't support themselves, it's invariably the biggest effin douchebags who seem to stay close to home.

Old 03-28-2019, 11:04 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm not from here, I'm from a suburban town in Connecticut. Not a small town, not a working-class one, just a slice of faceless suburbs with about 36,000 people. Sometimes I'm on Facebook though, and see people I knew growing up but was not close to comment on friends posts. I'm always shocked at how many of them still live in my hometown (I'm going to be 40 this year). I all but ran from the place screaming. And with an exception of a few people who developed health issues or something and couldn't support themselves, it's invariably the biggest effin douchebags who seem to stay close to home.

Ah its a mix I think, I was the same. Left NJ at 19 and never lived there again really. I see the same, about 1/2 the people I knew left and never went back and 1/2 are still there. There was just nothing important to me there, nothing bad (other than NJ costs) but nothing special. I guess when you have a large close family they are more likely to stay around. I mean I guess if it is a small town some people are limited in using their talents so need to move. It seems most those who stuck around opt for careers not involving the college route. Here though people just dont move, I mean there are more opportunities here than a small town but my kids about at least 1/2 of their classmates had parents that also went to school there.

Old 03-29-2019, 08:35 AM

270 posts, read 340,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I am just more comfortable around hard working people and unfortunately nicer areas you run into more of the snobby people.

I have to say I disagree with this. My experience has been that the "nicer" areas of Pittsburgh tend to have a bigger influx of people who moved in from elsewhere because of corporate transfers, etc. and sought the neighborhood out for reasons like good schools, nice homes, other transplants, etc. whereas the more modest areas tend to be chock full of "lifers" who have lived there their entire lives and are very insular and unwelcoming to outsiders. Money does not always equal snobbery and sometimes it actually makes for a less "nativist" attitude. I'm not saying that there are not some great, friendly people in the more working class areas of The Burgh but this is not somewhere like Los Angeles where the more blue-collar areas have lots of immigrants and a diverse mix of people- here it is actually the opposite.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:08 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
This all sounds made up.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
This all sounds made up.
I wish it was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh