Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-29-2019, 09:36 AM
 
36 posts, read 59,442 times
Reputation: 37

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvdog View Post
I have to say I disagree with this. My experience has been that the "nicer" areas of Pittsburgh tend to have a bigger influx of people who moved in from elsewhere because of corporate transfers, etc. and sought the neighborhood out for reasons like good schools, nice homes, other transplants, etc. whereas the more modest areas tend to be chock full of "lifers" who have lived there their entire lives and are very insular and unwelcoming to outsiders. Money does not always equal snobbery and sometimes it actually makes for a less "nativist" attitude. I'm not saying that there are not some great, friendly people in the more working class areas of The Burgh but this is not somewhere like Los Angeles where the more blue-collar areas have lots of immigrants and a diverse mix of people- here it is actually the opposite.
I think the snobs of Mt.Lebanon are the locals that have lived in other neighborhoods all of their lives and are finally able to 'make it' to Mt.Lebanon, consider this a lifetime achievement. The cure is easy- go live in DC for a while, and see how rich you really are. Therefore, transplants are more simple people, we are only looking for simple human interaction. I'm worried about my girls, and their self esteem, that's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-29-2019, 09:38 AM
 
11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Reputation: 6392
People move into and out of Mt Lebanon all the time. It's not like your family is the only one. And a principal ignoring accusations of bullying? Not today. There are 2 sides to this and we're hearing one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 09:43 AM
 
36 posts, read 59,442 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
People move into and out of Mt Lebanon all the time. It's not like your family is the only one. And a principal ignoring accusations of bullying? Not today. There are 2 sides to this and we're hearing one.
Principal did NOT ignore bullying, actions were taken!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 09:46 AM
 
36 posts, read 59,442 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
There are 2 sides to this and we're hearing one.
Sorry to disappoint, I can only give you my side of the story. Sounds like you are having the opposite experience. All I can say is, good for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 09:57 AM
 
11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Reputation: 6392
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDC123 View Post
Principal did NOT ignore bullying, actions were taken!
If I were a parent whose child was accused of bullying, I would tell my child to minimize interaction with the bullied. I would also be reluctant to interact with the parents of that child in this litigious society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 09:57 AM
 
36 posts, read 59,442 times
Reputation: 37
The reason I asked about Lincoln and Washington Elementary, is that those neighborhoods tend to attract more transplants (at least there's anecdotal evidence), and Howe Elementary has lots of families who moved from other parts of Pittsburgh, therefore have more family/friend/church connections. This is my subjective opinion (disclaimer for Goinback2011). I don't know much about other elementary schools in MTL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 10:00 AM
 
36 posts, read 59,442 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
If I were a parent whose child was accused of bullying, I would tell my child to minimize interaction with the bullied. I would also be reluctant to interact with the parents of that child in this litigious society.
Well, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 10:06 AM
 
11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Reputation: 6392
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDC123 View Post
Well, of course.
So, this is what is occurring, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 10:09 AM
 
36 posts, read 59,442 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
So, this is what is occurring, correct?
I can only suspect. But this is just 4-5 kids. What about the rest. My kids never had issues making friends before moving here. In fact, they keep asking to go back so they can reunite. This is a difficult decision, because my in-laws are old, and I feel it is wrong to leave them here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2019, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Fox Chapel
433 posts, read 287,073 times
Reputation: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDC123 View Post
I can only suspect. But this is just 4-5 kids. What about the rest. My kids never had issues making friends before moving here. In fact, they keep asking to go back so they can reunite. This is a difficult decision, because my in-laws are old, and I feel it is wrong to leave them here...
Regardless, I hope things get better for your family soon. Hopefully, the passage of some time may help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top