Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 10:17 AM

36 posts, read 59,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
Regardless, I hope things get better for your family soon. Hopefully, the passage of some time may help.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 11:49 AM

270 posts, read 340,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDC123 View Post
The reason I asked about Lincoln and Washington Elementary, is that those neighborhoods tend to attract more transplants (at least there's anecdotal evidence), and Howe Elementary has lots of families who moved from other parts of Pittsburgh, therefore have more family/friend/church connections. This is my subjective opinion (disclaimer for Goinback2011). I don't know much about other elementary schools in MTL.
This is interesting. I will say this- the one thing I do know about Sunset Hills is that it is in the part of Mt Lebanon that borders on Castle Shannon, which is absolutely one of those areas that comes to mind for me when I think "lifers who have never spent any time outside of the area and have known each other their entire lives". Perhaps you would be happier in another part of Mt Lebo.

Really, your story surprised me not because I can't imagine those things happening but because you are in one of the areas that seem to attract more transplants and newcomers.

I take it both your girls are in elementary school? One of the problems with communities that have multiple elementary schools that route from different neighborhoods is that your kids end up spending the first 4 years of their school life with the same kids from the same neighborhoods. As they filter into the middle and high school you may find that your children are part of a much larger social pool of kids from all over MT Lebo., and things may change for them.

The one couple w/kids we know from Mt Lebo are transplants, are educated, open-minded type people, and have a middle schooler who is the bookish non-athletic type. They seem to like it just fine, although they are not in the same neighborhood you are (I'm thinking maybe Cedarhurst or somewhere more central).

Last edited by Garvdog; 03-29-2019 at 12:04 PM..

Old 04-01-2019, 10:13 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,526,995 times
Our boys are 10 and 11. We live in the burbs too. I don't think it is a given to have kids running around outside. Now we have homework followed by sports most nights of the week. Even on the weekends we usually have multiple games. And when the kids were younger we really didn't let them roam. They have more freedom now but less time.

In our area, at a young age most kids played soccer. Our kids weren't that interested in soccer but they did like hanging out with other kids. For us and many families soccer was an activity, like an art class or karate class. And kids definitely do more than one "activity" at a time.

Eventually, they found sports that they really do like. I think that kids spend so much time with sports/dance that most of their good friends are from their activities and not school. We know several girls that are 9 and they spend about 7 a day on weekends at cheer. They are not roaming the neighborhood.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:12 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,944,600 times
Not at all shocked to see reports like this coming out of the South Hills.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:38 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm not from here, I'm from a suburban town in Connecticut. Not a small town, not a working-class one, just a slice of faceless suburbs with about 36,000 people. Sometimes I'm on Facebook though, and see people I knew growing up but was not close to comment on friends posts. I'm always shocked at how many of them still live in my hometown (I'm going to be 40 this year). I all but ran from the place screaming. And with an exception of a few people who developed health issues or something and couldn't support themselves, it's invariably the biggest effin douchebags who seem to stay close to home.
You got that right- but in the case of where I am, these people are mostly educated. They just chose to not move 15 miles from where they grew up. Its weird to me.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:50 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
You got that right- but in the case of where I am, these people are mostly educated. They just chose to not move 15 miles from where they grew up. Its weird to me.
My wife is from the South Hills originally. She, like me, had a mostly unhappy time in school growing up. When we were looking for houses, she told me flat out she wouldn't move to Dormont because it was too close to home.

I think it's actually the norm that people who were less socially well adjusted are more likely to up and leave the place they grew up. Too many unhappy memories.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:12 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,962,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Our boys are 10 and 11. We live in the burbs too. I don't think it is a given to have kids running around outside. Now we have homework followed by sports most nights of the week. Even on the weekends we usually have multiple games. And when the kids were younger we really didn't let them roam. They have more freedom now but less time.

In our area, at a young age most kids played soccer. Our kids weren't that interested in soccer but they did like hanging out with other kids. For us and many families soccer was an activity, like an art class or karate class. And kids definitely do more than one "activity" at a time.

Eventually, they found sports that they really do like. I think that kids spend so much time with sports/dance that most of their good friends are from their activities and not school. We know several girls that are 9 and they spend about 7 a day on weekends at cheer. They are not roaming the neighborhood.
Sports and activities keeping kids super busy is a key to success. We can clearly see the comparison in the good school districts compared to the city schools struggling. Kids in the burbs are just too busy to get into real trouble, like the drive-by stuff you hear about and a host of other criminal activities that can lead to someone getting shot.

Hope things get better in Mt Lebanon. I suggest a lot of formal activities and keep your kids busy with fun stuff.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:37 PM

387 posts, read 470,840 times
I'm gonna state the *obvious*-because, well, it needs to be stated, for the sake of 'the bigger picture'.

Moving a few blocks over to a different part of Mt Lebanon, will still leave you living in Mt Lebanon.
That's just madness!

Your neighbors will change, sure.

Some (most) of those new neighbors will be related to, or work with, or be on a board with, or a member of a church group, or drink with, golf with, or their kids are involved with the other kids of the SAME people who are giving you crap.
Then what? Your problems will be the same, only 'by-proxy'-so your world just got exponentially smaller & more difficult.
Moving to the 'other side' of Mt Lebo will NOT change your world.
At all.
You will still be living in Mt Lebanon. Your children will eventually all go to the same high school.

If whatever issues you are having cannot be resolved, COMPLETELY, your problems it WILL remain, regardless of which 'side' of Lebo you move to.
It's the yuppie 'refined' equivalent to gang activity in the hood, it's just 'more polite' appearing LOL
That's just the way it is. It is a small town that does things their way. Down to the borough, the magistrate, the police, business owners,-everyone is related to someone, or inlaws of, or working for, & they're all hooking up their own.

Heck, I'd be willing to bet 1/2 of the transplants are related in some way. There's less than 6 degrees of separation, is what I am sayin, & nothing in coincidental.
It's a tight neighborhood, & they intend to keep it that way. It's kinda what makes it what it is. Deals are made during backyard bbq's, based on who knows who, & favors for relatives, or my kids play with your kids. They protect their own.

Mt Lebo is a suburb of Pittsburgh, but it's pretty much it's own little universe, & it has been that way ever since I can remember.
Heck, some of the school teachers there now, are now the children of the teachers I had. Same with borough workers, & so on. They did as they were told, they emulated their parents, moved down the street, followed in their foot steps, got jobs there, just like their parents. It's their American dream. They are the pillars of the community, & their community is strong.
You conform in Mt Lebanon. It doesn't work any other way there.

There's nothing wrong with this if it works for you, & you understand how to operate within it.
Every city has a suburb that is like this, you've found ours.

They have a 'circle of trust' LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHJGoZpFeM8

Old 04-02-2019, 08:46 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catia View Post
I'm gonna state the *obvious*-because, well, it needs to be stated, for the sake of 'the bigger picture'.

Moving a few blocks over to a different part of Mt Lebanon, will still leave you living in Mt Lebanon.
That's just madness!

Your neighbors will change, sure.

Some (most) of those new neighbors will be related to, or work with, or be on a board with, or a member of a church group, or drink with, golf with, or their kids are involved with the other kids of the SAME people who are giving you crap.
Then what? Your problems will be the same, only 'by-proxy'-so your world just got exponentially smaller & more difficult.
Moving to the 'other side' of Mt Lebo will NOT change your world.
At all.
You will still be living in Mt Lebanon. Your children will eventually all go to the same high school.

If whatever issues you are having cannot be resolved, COMPLETELY, your problems it WILL remain, regardless of which 'side' of Lebo you move to.
It's the yuppie 'refined' equivalent to gang activity in the hood, it's just 'more polite' appearing LOL
That's just the way it is. It is a small town that does things their way. Down to the borough, the magistrate, the police, business owners,-everyone is related to someone, or inlaws of, or working for, & they're all hooking up their own.

Heck, I'd be willing to bet 1/2 of the transplants are related in some way. There's less than 6 degrees of separation, is what I am sayin, & nothing in coincidental.
It's a tight neighborhood, & they intend to keep it that way. It's kinda what makes it what it is. Deals are made during backyard bbq's, based on who knows who, & favors for relatives, or my kids play with your kids. They protect their own.

Mt Lebo is a suburb of Pittsburgh, but it's pretty much it's own little universe, & it has been that way ever since I can remember.
Heck, some of the school teachers there now, are now the children of the teachers I had. Same with borough workers, & so on. They did as they were told, they emulated their parents, moved down the street, followed in their foot steps, got jobs there, just like their parents. It's their American dream. They are the pillars of the community, & their community is strong.
You conform in Mt Lebanon. It doesn't work any other way there.

There's nothing wrong with this if it works for you, & you understand how to operate within it.
Every city has a suburb that is like this, you've found ours.

They have a 'circle of trust' LOL

I'm sorry you had a bad experience growing up in Mt. Lebanon but I totally disagree with you. ML is a suburb of a large city and has a very high turnover of houses. What you are describing tends to be true in small town that are further away from a large city. Families have lived in these small towns for three, four, five or more generations.Try living in Greene, Fayette, Somerset, Clearfield, Jefferson, or Armstrong counties and you will understand what I mean. You will even find generations of the same family who have lived in places like West Mifflin, Munhall, etc. I've lived in Mt. Lebanon and what you described and is much less likely to occur there. I've also lived in some of the other places I mentioned.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:07 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
Not at all shocked to see reports like this coming out of the South Hills.
The word for today is generalize
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh