Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 10:22 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
The word for today is generalize
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to guy2073 again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 10:46 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
I attended my 40 year Mt Lebanon high school reunion awhile back. We had a graduating class of 750. Less than 10 of the attendees lived in Mt Lebanon. At least 90 percent never lived there after graduating.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:18 PM

36 posts, read 59,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Our boys are 10 and 11. We live in the burbs too. I don't think it is a given to have kids running around outside. Now we have homework followed by sports most nights of the week. Even on the weekends we usually have multiple games. And when the kids were younger we really didn't let them roam. They have more freedom now but less time.
Eventually, they found sports that they really do like. I think that kids spend so much time with sports/dance that most of their good friends are from their activities and not school. We know several girls that are 9 and they spend about 7 a day on weekends at cheer. They are not roaming the neighborhood.
I see your point, structured activities are important, but just as important [in my view] is unstructured 'free' play. Our kids had both, and it is a wonderful way to live. They would ride their bikes to a neighborhood park, and play with kids from neighborhood who also happened to go to the same school. They also took dance, martial arts, soccer, ice skating classes and participated in other activities.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Sports and activities keeping kids super busy is a key to success. We can clearly see the comparison in the good school districts compared to the city schools struggling. Kids in the burbs are just too busy to get into real trouble, like the drive-by stuff you hear about and a host of other criminal activities that can lead to someone getting shot.

Hope things get better in Mt Lebanon. I suggest a lot of formal activities and keep your kids busy with fun stuff.
We already tried to engage them in formal activities, they still keep asking if they could play outside, rollerskate, ride their bicycles, which is possible of course, in an organized manner (i.e. I load up the car and drive them). We stopped pushing classes on the older one when she flat out said that she doesn't want to take any more classes, she just wants to play with someone. Adding insult to injury, no friends at school, except one boy who plays videogames with her, and noone inviting to birthday parties. In DC she was a popular kid, but not here.

Two major problems where we are is 1. can't play outside because street is very busy (we didn't know this, since our agent would bring us to see the house at strategic times) 2. no other kids play outside (there's only 1 that is comparable age and they just hang out with their own friends that visit).

We spoke to another agent today, and if she doesn't get us out of this place, we will have to move out of state.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catia View Post
I'm gonna state the *obvious*-because, well, it needs to be stated, for the sake of 'the bigger picture'.

There's nothing wrong with this if it works for you, & you understand how to operate within it.
Every city has a suburb that is like this, you've found ours.

They have a 'circle of trust' LOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHJGoZpFeM8
This kind of tribalism will never work for us. We are waiting to hear from the real estate agent to see if there are parts of the city/suburbs we are missing and if that doesn't work out, we will be moving out of state. Two years in, it has been miserable from the beginning, no light at the end of the tunnel.
P.S. the video is spot on, lol

Last edited by MovingtoDC123; 04-02-2019 at 01:45 PM..

Old 04-03-2019, 08:49 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoDC123 View Post
We already tried to engage them in formal activities, they still keep asking if they could play outside, rollerskate, ride their bicycles, which is possible of course, in an organized manner (i.e. I load up the car and drive them). We stopped pushing classes on the older one when she flat out said that she doesn't want to take any more classes, she just wants to play with someone. Adding insult to injury, no friends at school, except one boy who plays videogames with her, and noone inviting to birthday parties. In DC she was a popular kid, but not here.

Two major problems where we are is 1. can't play outside because street is very busy (we didn't know this, since our agent would bring us to see the house at strategic times) 2. no other kids play outside (there's only 1 that is comparable age and they just hang out with their own friends that visit).

We spoke to another agent today, and if she doesn't get us out of this place, we will have to move out of state.
Seems a little drastic, but its your life. My neighborhood is nice, but there are really no kids my son's age. We debate about moving within the district to find more kids, but quite frankly, you never know if it'll really be that different when you get there. Nothing like when I grew up where you'd go out and there'd be 20 kids playing. We could have full games of football.

But its different now, kids are busy with sports (and I mean busy..... We have something sports related 7 days this week.), and then there are the video games and ipads which keep them inside, but believe it or, still social wit hall the online stuff.

I gotta think something in one of the new fast growing areas like Cranberry or Mars draws people from all over the place and more outsiders. My brother lives up in Apple Ridge and it seems like what you are looking for. A little cookie cutter, but tons of kids and pools and trails. They moved from Florida and have no complaints. But you have to fit in somewhere- for them it is the band.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:13 AM

75 posts, read 43,772 times
I think everyone's experience is different as we all have different expectations. I live in sunset hills (2 years) and I am a transplant from the fox chapel area. I have the best neighbors and the kids in and around our street are polite even when out playing. I will agree that lots of people who were born and raised here tend to keep to their inner circles but I have had no issues getting to know them. Pittsburgh may not be the place for you to call home if you think sunset hills is not friendly. I have lived all over the US and been in Pittsburgh for 10 years. It is, by far, my favorite city to live in.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjagginyinz View Post
I think everyone's experience is different as we all have different expectations. I live in sunset hills (2 years) and I am a transplant from the fox chapel area. I have the best neighbors and the kids in and around our street are polite even when out playing. I will agree that lots of people who were born and raised here tend to keep to their inner circles but I have had no issues getting to know them. Pittsburgh may not be the place for you to call home if you think sunset hills is not friendly. I have lived all over the US and been in Pittsburgh for 10 years. It is, by far, my favorite city to live in.
Coming from Fox Chapel area, you're hardly a transplant though. Perhaps you have similar interests as other families.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:50 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
I think the reality is you will not find kids out playing in most places. I currently live 50 miles outside of Pittsburgh in a newer neighborhood. I rarely see kids outside playing even though I know there are many in the neighborhood. It is very rare to see a kid on a bicycle. Years ago my son and his fiend used to play street hockey in the street but those kids are now over 30.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:56 AM

I want to clarify something - I'm not bashing MTL or Sunset Hills, of course some people are better fit here than others. I have, however, have had a lot of very frustrating experiences here, this is a small community, so I won't describe in details. I can only attribute this to cultural differences and differences in interests/lifestyle choices.

We aren't interested in cheerleading, girl scouts and religion. These are HUGE here. Girls scouts would have been a neat idea, except they just sit around, not a lot of 'active' exploration at all. Waste of time, if you ask me. My girls are great swimmers, they also love ice skating and riding their bikes, scooters, roller skates.

Where are all the kids after school? On weekends? Seems like their schedules are booked up or they sit in front of TV/tablet. There was a point in time that our children were enrolled in multiple classes/activities - it is overwhelming for children. Sometimes they just want to dig up some dirt in the yard with some friends...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh