Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 11:01 AM

30 posts, read 149,819 times

Advertisements

I live in Philly now. If I am from Western PA I am loving this article. Less congestion, less crime, less BS and less traffic. Look, I live on the east coast but lived in Pgh. for 5 years. I still go back 2x a year to walk up Mt. Wash and around Shadyside and sail at Lake Moraine. You don't want to go in the direction of the east coast. I like it here but you've got something special out there in western PA (except for the weather).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 01:05 PM

85 posts, read 285,709 times
Second that.

Also, Scranton is hardly glamorous - ten years ago when I went there it was probably the most depressing place I'd ever seen in my life, and when I drive by now it doesn't look that different except for some shiny new big box stores.

I lived in NYC for the first half of this decade and trust me, the people moving to Scranton and commuting into NYC are either: planning to retire in a few years, on welfare, or they work in the NJ suburbs.

It's good to see that area rebounding off of rock bottom but hardly anything to gloat about in comparison to the strides made in Pittsburgh or other similar cities in the same time span.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,345 times
How bad is the weather? I'm considering a move to Pittsburgh from the Philly area.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:59 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRRR View Post
How bad is the weather? I'm considering a move to Pittsburgh from the Philly area.
The chief weather complaint is that among major cities in the continental United States, Pittsburgh has a relatively high number of cloudy days. Otherwise it is not a particularly problematic area: it doesn't get much lake effect snow, or much hurricane activity, or a lot of tornados, or so on.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:23 PM

31 posts, read 164,277 times
JCRRR--this is a great place to live. Consider this from a person who spent over a decade living in South Florida.
We have all 4 seasons, beautiful countryside and very nice people. No hurricanes, only 1 tornado that I have ever heard of, no earthquakes, etc.
Our only issue is the occasional flood--don't buy a house right by a river!

Also, for all:
Allegheny County brings in more out of state tourism dollars than any other county in PA. We also have some other great statistics. Check it out: Pittsburgh Pennsylvania Convention and Visitors Bureau

Wendy Piquette
Moderator cut: URL removed

Last edited by Marka; 04-19-2008 at 04:12 AM..

Old 04-14-2008, 04:49 PM

20,273 posts, read 32,871,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelyn Piquette View Post
Also, for all:
Allegheny County brings in more out of state tourism dollars than any other county in PA.
Very interesting--I would have guessed Philly, but it finished second.

Edit: Oh, and I agree with that Frommers article cited in the roundup of rankings. Pittsburgh has done a pretty good job of holding onto and building upon its arts and architectural legacies.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:46 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,170,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I would not say this article is anti-Pittsburgh but it is more of a campaign to "sell" the eastern region of the state. I find absurd the comment that the areas west of Cumberland County are Midwestern. Even though I am not from PA I have traveled and visited it extensively and I find western PA and Pittsburgh to be a decidedly Northeastern city with just a touch of Appalachian influences.

Don't be surprised that when prices start to rise in eastern PA due to the vast influx of NYers and Jersyites that some of that growth eventually finds its way into western PA. I can already see some of it going into some areas of central PA and western PA is bound to eventually see some new residents looking for an affordable and lower taxes area when compared to Philly and much of southeastern PA.
Where are you from (if you don't mind my asking)?

Anyway, one of my problems with the article is the remark that insinuated Pittsburgh is losing all its young people. That is simply deceptive as Pittsburgh has the highest retention rate of its youth of the 25 largest metros.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:10 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,109,679 times
This article is crap.

Quote:
In the west, the youth are moving out and leaving behind an aging population. . . . In the east, you have the stresses of the population increase."
That's false. Pittsburgh, Philly, DC, Boston, and many, many other cities are losing more in domestic migration than in bound domestic migration.

Where Philly has gained (and very mildly so) is in foreign immigration and that's what has propelled many other cities too.

Additionally the population loss of the 80's created an age gap - these people took their kids (or kids they would soon have) with them and Pittsburgh is in a unique situation where deaths are higher than births.

Pittsburgh is not losing more people than other regions. It lacks in gaining more people.

The demographic trends have improved as the region transitioned since
80's. It was a major change. Most can't see it, because people get all worked up at Census numbers without the context.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:25 PM

30 posts, read 149,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRRR View Post
Bad as in northeast bad. You know, 5 months of crap with windows closed and lots of cloudy days. 7 months are great. I could say this about any northeast city.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:44 PM

71 posts, read 185,068 times
Default Philly vs the Burgh

Overall Philadelphia has much more to offer than Pittsburgh does. There are more attractions, jobs, sunny days, quality restaurants and shopping, and interesting things to do; but Philadelphia doesn’t come close to Pittsburgh on its people. Pittsburgh people are some the friendliest people I have known, that is the only thing I miss about the area. Philadelphia attitudes took awhile to get used to, but it’s worth putting up with when you factor in all the positives that come with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh