Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 02:29 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1412 View Post
Thanks in advance for the feedback thus far. We will likely rent and get comfortable with the area before we buy. Our budget is in the $500k-$600k range.
While I agree that in general renting before buying is a good thing, I'm not sure how good of a plan it is with three school-age kids, with the younger two at least in elementary school. If you move into a rental house, you're essentially going to have to decide the next year (or whenever) to choose between only looking for houses within your local elementary school's feeder zone, moving you children to a new school twice in a two-year period, or just staying put for a longer term in your rental. That would be a hard decision for me to make as a parent, personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 03:49 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,130,675 times
That is a hard decision, my kids come first as a parent but you are talking investing 500k+. Kids are pretty adaptable but I do agree it is easier to not let them get settled for a year and then move to another school again. My kids switched schools several times but our final move to Pgh they were in middle school and about to start HS. We said this was it, I would not want to make my kids change in HS but most middle schools funnel up so the start of HS is already a mix of various MS kids coming together which being new isnt as hard.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:21 PM

65 posts, read 207,574 times
Yes I agree as well. I will look to rent in the school district that we would eventually buy so the kids are not having to switch schools.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:33 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1412 View Post
Yes I agree as well. I will look to rent in the school district that we would eventually buy so the kids are not having to switch schools.
I dunno what it's like where you are from, but most school districts around here have multiple elementary schools. For example, Moon Area School District has five different K-4 schools. Thus if you moved there, you wouldn't just need to stay in the district, but stay in the same elementary school feeder in order to ensure that your kids wouldn't have to switch schools.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:37 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,529,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I dunno what it's like where you are from, but most school districts around here have multiple elementary schools. For example, Moon Area School District has five different K-4 schools. Thus if you moved there, you wouldn't just need to stay in the district, but stay in the same elementary school feeder in order to ensure that your kids wouldn't have to switch schools.

I agree with Eschaton. You are really limiting your housing options if want to buy in a specific elementary school feeder zone.

For the most part school districts that are similarly ranked are basically the same. Some are bigger some are smaller. But the education is comparable. The variables are the geographic location of the district and the type of houses that are available in your price point.

We had friends move back to town and they rented for a year. They sent their kids to private schools for the first year due to the location of their rental and then moved them to the public school. They did it because they were fairly specific in their needs in a house and they just couldn't find on that they liked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: