Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 4,323 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I will be relocating to the Pittsburgh area with my wife and three kids this summer. We haven't found a house yet but have been primarily looking in the suburbs NE of the city so far. I'm a golfer and am wondering if anyone can shed some light on the clubs in the area, and in particular Longue Vue Club and Fox Chapel Golf Club.

Fox Chapel - why so expensive? I have seen clubs with a high initiation or high dues, but typically not both. Does this club not have enough members to support the operating costs? Is this a club where young families join or is it typically an older crowd? Can you walk this course? What is the "vibe" here?

Longue Vue - would this be a better choice for a young family? I'm guessing it would be a bit further drive for us but if there are more families it might make sense. What neighborhoods does this club typically draw from? Can you walk this course? What is the "vibe" here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 03:40 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT6514 View Post
Fox Chapel - why so expensive?

To keep out people who don't have a lot of money.

Old 04-27-2019, 06:02 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT6514 View Post
Hi everyone. I will be relocating to the Pittsburgh area with my wife and three kids this summer. We haven't found a house yet but have been primarily looking in the suburbs NE of the city so far. I'm a golfer and am wondering if anyone can shed some light on the clubs in the area, and in particular Longue Vue Club and Fox Chapel Golf Club.

Fox Chapel - why so expensive? I have seen clubs with a high initiation or high dues, but typically not both. Does this club not have enough members to support the operating costs? Is this a club where young families join or is it typically an older crowd? Can you walk this course? What is the "vibe" here?

Longue Vue - would this be a better choice for a young family? I'm guessing it would be a bit further drive for us but if there are more families it might make sense. What neighborhoods does this club typically draw from? Can you walk this course? What is the "vibe" here?
FC Golf Club is expensive because of demand. Not easy to get in. You can walk the course and it is really nice. You will need to know a member to be considered.

Longue Vue is easier to get into. You could walk it, but it isn't really done. Every time I have played there I rode and didn't see any caddies. It is a little younger crowd where you have people from Fox Chapel, O'Hara and that area, plus you have city people that enjoy golf and activities. I love Longue Vew's club house and the location with views is nice. The course is pretty nice as well.

Ratings of golf clubs in the area just for golf would be as follows.

1. Fox Chapel Golf Club
2. Oakmont -super hard to get in
3. Longue Vue
4. Field Club

Most would rank Oakmont first, but I don't like it as well. Some of the lesser clubs went public, but the ones listed here are in good shape in every way.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:47 PM

433 posts, read 287,018 times
The clubs, in particular Field Club and Fox Chapel, aren't as blue blood as they used to be, particularly since 2008 and the downturn in the economy, or whatever you want to call it. There are actually people of color(sort of) at Fox Chapel. They have to get more people in because older people are dying off and some can't afford it anymore. It's not like it used to be. It does still hold true, with some exceptions, that Catholics belong to the Field Club and Protestants belong to Fox Chapel. Field Club, in general, is more active. The Field Club has many more hills than Fox Chapel. Fox Chapel sits sort of in a big basin and doesn't drain particulalrly well. Both clubs are exceptionally pretty and well manicured. I think the greens are better at Fox Chapel but the Field Club's course is more interesting. I think the food is a bit lame at both clubs, comepared to what you can get at restaurants but I think that's common. Both clubs have tennis(hardtrue courts), paddle tennis(in the winter), shooting, swimming pool. You need to find a member to sponsor you in order to join. Then, they throw a get together and the members get to talk to you and your wife to see if you'll fit in. I know this is rediculous but it's how they do it.

Oakmont, golf wise, is in another stratosphere. It's completely superior. No one would even question this. Socially, however, I think the Field Club and Fox Chapel are still more exclusive, although things might have changed. But people join Oakmont for one reason only, golf.

Longvue is nice.

I forgot to add that I winced after I wrote all of this, knowing full well how absolutely rediculous it is. But, that's really how it is. I wish I could contribute more to threads that discuss the inner workings of the universe or causes for the new super bugs that endanger our state but no, I'm sorry to say that I'm the junk commentor.

Getting back to the topic, just like anywhere, there are some really nice and friendly members and and some not so nice. For many, it's their parents's or family money. It is expensive, even after joining.

Last edited by Tractor Face; 04-27-2019 at 10:24 PM..

Old 04-28-2019, 03:15 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,706,617 times
Full disclosure I am not a golfer and am not married to one. My impression is that there are numerous levels of golf clubs and courses and country clubs in our region. So not knowing what you are looking for in a golf course or even if you expressed it, I am not certain I would be able to provide an intelligent opinion as to greens and tees and etc

All that being said there are some neighborhoods also in our Pittsburgh area that are built around a course and club. In the South Hills area there is Nevillewood and in the Northern area there is a community called Treesdale. Buying in the community does not equal membership as that would be a separate fee but numerous homeowners do belong as well as members from outside of the community. These 2 are newer courses than some of the ones you mentioned and were discussed. Of course everyone knows Oakmont is the oldest top ranked course in the USA, so these do not have that reputation, but I believe were designed by some top notch golfers and some holes apparently are ranked????

As you can see I may be offering little, but on the off chance that no one mentioned these to you, I just thought I would. I do know that quite a few current and former professional athletes( Steelers and Penguins) live in these 2 communities in order to golf. Does that mean anything about course competitiveness? I do know both courses are beautiful. I have been on each in the evening and driven around them in the day.

Good luck and welcome to Pittsburgh. There are some fine school districts and some fine golfing in our region and much more in between. May you find the perfect match for your family's needs!

Old 04-28-2019, 07:46 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,458,694 times
the nicest course in our region is Laurel Valley but its a bit of a drive outside the city. It beats out everything else hands down (IMO of course). Oakmont is a great competition course, but Im not sure id love playing it all the time.

treesedale and diamond run are both club corp owned facilities, if you are familiar with them, you kind of know what to expect. Diamond run does not have a pool or tennis.

nevilewood and mystic rock are both also very nice courses to play.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:06 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
the nicest course in our region is Laurel Valley but its a bit of a drive outside the city. It beats out everything else hands down (IMO of course). Oakmont is a great competition course, but Im not sure id love playing it all the time.

treesedale and diamond run are both club corp owned facilities, if you are familiar with them, you kind of know what to expect. Diamond run does not have a pool or tennis.

nevilewood and mystic rock are both also very nice courses to play.
Isn’t Laurel Valley nearly impossible to get into?

Old 04-29-2019, 08:59 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,458,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Isn’t Laurel Valley nearly impossible to get into?
Im not sure the difficulty to join, but I know a decent bit of people that have played there. In all fairness though, I have family and friends in the golf business so my opinion is a bit skewed on the difficulty to get on the course.

another good course that isn't at all difficult to go play is Totteridge. it was private when it first opened but went semi private years back. They went through a bit of tough times a few years ago, but when the new head pro took over last year, they really got the course back in shape. Its a great layout and fun course to play.

Old 04-29-2019, 11:41 AM

436 posts, read 342,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
To keep out people who don't have a lot of money.
Ahh, after attending a party there, I'm confident I could drive my family there, park and use the pool and facilities without being questioned. Not that we don't have a lot of money, by the way

Old 04-29-2019, 12:21 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8YearsinPittsburgh View Post
Ahh, after attending a party there, I'm confident I could drive my family there, park and use the pool and facilities without being questioned. Not that we don't have a lot of money, by the way

Congratulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh