Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 01:33 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
No, I was looking under $700K and seeing homes that I thought were over $100K over and they are under agreement. There are homes under agreement that were around $150K a couple years ago and now are over $250K and in the same condition, yet now they sold.

It is a seller's market for sure, at least for our region. Maybe things will keep going up? It seems hard to believe in a way.
Do you have an example of the 150k houses? guessing something else is in play here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 01:46 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
Honestly there are many examples. Looking for 5 min in my area I found this. Maybe not those exact numbers but it sold mid 2015 for $189k then again 2019 for $252k. Longer time frame but there was no real change in the home from the 1st to current photos. If I took some time I could find more and in a closer timeframe but honestly most people don't buy and sell 2-3 years later unless flipping (not that they hold that long).

https://www.zillow.com/homes/170-Nor...11405214_zpid/

Old 05-07-2019, 02:16 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Honestly there are many examples. Looking for 5 min in my area I found this. Maybe not those exact numbers but it sold mid 2015 for $189k then again 2019 for $252k. Longer time frame but there was no real change in the home from the 1st to current photos. If I took some time I could find more and in a closer timeframe but honestly most people don't buy and sell 2-3 years later unless flipping (not that they hold that long).

https://www.zillow.com/homes/170-Nor...11405214_zpid/
Prices are not as badly depressed here as they used to be. $252K is still a quite reasonable price for that 4 bedroom house. It's about the same price as the average US house.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:28 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
I agree, I am not saying homes are as cheap as maybe 12 years ago but anyone who thinks Pittsburgh homes are high must not travel much. There are not many areas I can think of that are within 5-10 miles of a major city where you can still find good housing for 80-150k. jump go 200-250 and you can get a nice home. Taxes? yes higher than many states but still lower than many in the NE

Old 05-07-2019, 09:28 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
I agree, I am not saying homes are as cheap as maybe 12 years ago but anyone who thinks Pittsburgh homes are high must not travel much. There are not many areas I can think of that are within 5-10 miles of a major city where you can still find good housing for 80-150k. jump go 200-250 and you can get a nice home. Taxes? yes higher than many states but still lower than many in the NE
Well, this is Western PA we're talking about. An area where many locals have no interest travelling to somewhere not Florida or on the coast between Atlantic City and Myrtle Beach it seems like. It amazes me how many people around here go to the same place every year. Yes, the places along the beach are nice, but considering all there is out there to see, going nowhere for vacation but Ocean City or the Outer Banks would drive me crazy.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:41 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Well, this is Western PA we're talking about. An area where many locals have no interest travelling to somewhere not Florida or on the coast between Atlantic City and Myrtle Beach it seems like. It amazes me how many people around here go to the same place every year. Yes, the places along the beach are nice, but considering all there is out there to see, going nowhere for vacation but Ocean City or the Outer Banks would drive me crazy.
Anyone from Western Pa that goes to the places you mentioned that cared to check real estate prices would know how much more costly those areas can be.

I love all the places you mentioned. 5 months in Florida as a snowbird was awesome this past year.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:20 AM

807 posts, read 617,212 times
This is the latest high-priced home in Dormont that is causing some disagreement in the community:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...11571209_zpid/

Some residents have expressed shock at the rise in prices in recent years, while others (including folks in real estate) have suggested that the work here is well-done and that the price is not unreasonable based on comparative sales.

For my money, I quite like this listing, that just hit the market today -- with the only drawback for me being the fact that it only has one bath:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...11655684_zpid/

Old 05-08-2019, 06:03 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Keep in mind, I am comparing Pittsburgh to Pittsburgh only a few years ago. I am not comparing it to the big expensive areas, but we could compare it to other rust belt cities I guess.

If you buy a home around $400K, you are looking at a grand a month in real estate taxes in many areas here. Not a lot of people can afford that.

Old 05-08-2019, 06:30 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
I'll chime in to say that the market in Crafton and Ingram is also as the OP described. Almost zero inventory and prices much higher than a few years ago, but still less than similar homes in the trendier eastern neighborhoods. I'm hoping that it causes some much needed investment in nearby Sheraden. That area has been in decline for years. It has good housing stock and is an easy commute to downtown. Who knows, maybe people who are priced out of Crafton will take a chance on some of the better parts of Sheraden?

Old 05-08-2019, 06:51 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
This is the latest high-priced home in Dormont that is causing some disagreement in the community:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...11571209_zpid/

Some residents have expressed shock at the rise in prices in recent years, while others (including folks in real estate) have suggested that the work here is well-done and that the price is not unreasonable based on comparative sales.

For my money, I quite like this listing, that just hit the market today -- with the only drawback for me being the fact that it only has one bath:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...11655684_zpid/

Those are both beautiful houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh