Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 01:37 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Departing Wheeling at 5 pm, it says 1 hour to 1 hour 25 mins.

Also, what streets/area are you saying are like that in Bridgeville? Not denying it, just curious as I am 100% unfamiliar with that area.
The majority of bridgeville is walkable. Bridgeville is a very small town. Its postal zip covers a large area so many areas get labled as Bridgeville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 01:50 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,992,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWalker View Post
4 hours? A place like Mt. Washington to Wheeling would be about 2.5 hours a day, according to Google Maps (which isn't the final authority, but a pretty accurate tool).

Republican neighbors?!? Gasp!

I've lived in cities my entire life, its just a preference to live in one. I don't mind a 2.5 hour commute to and from work if i can still live in a city.
If you will commuting any time around rush hour, Google Maps is not reliable in this area.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:28 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
As a single guy in my late 20's, I understand the sentiment of not wanting to live in Wheeling. I go down there once a year and there are some ok parts, but I feel like overall the WV/OH area is provincial, stuck in the past, and not in great shape at all. I agree with the other posters who have mentioned Carnegie, Bridgeville, and Mt. Lebanon too. They're not as exciting as the East End, but they will check off a lot of what you want in your list with a bit shorter of a drive, and you're close enough to the other areas you won't mind heading to them on your weekends.

It will be a long commute, but once you're south of Southpointe, you shouldn't really have congestion issues. Even north of there to 79/376, 79 isn't that bad usually unless there's a wreck.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:46 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
The gps says the commute time at 1:50 pm today is 1 hour 23 minutes, i am curious what that time will be at 5 pm.

The op could consider bridgeville or carnegie. They are closer to wheeling and close enough to the city for going out a few nights a week. Bridgeville is a very walkable neighborhood with many amenities and reasonable rents.

I agree with this recommendation but I'll be a bit more specific. I would not want to be more than 5-10 minutes from I-79. Bridgeville puts you close enough to Wheeling for a daily commute, yet close enough to go into the city whenever you want. If you can't hop on I-79 easily, the South Hills gets very congested.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:37 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I agree with this recommendation but I'll be a bit more specific. I would not want to be more than 5-10 minutes from I-79. Bridgeville puts you close enough to Wheeling for a daily commute, yet close enough to go into the city whenever you want. If you can't hop on I-79 easily, the South Hills gets very congested.
The entire town of bridgeville is under 5 minutes from 79. When i lived there i took the back roads to get to 79 and the only place i had to wait was for the light to change to get on 79.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:42 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,773,197 times
If the OP is only going to be happy in a real urban place I'm not sure Carnegie or Mt. Lebanon will work. Yes they have some aspects but they're hardly a replacement for city hoods. Mt. Washington is the only place the OP could avoid some major in out traffic and still be near the city, but its got the problem of being on a cliff, making real city access a problem. I'd say if the OP doesn't mind Ubering from there to city neighborhoods, that's a good compromise.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:54 AM

748 posts, read 339,585 times
Commuting to Wheeling would be a challenging commute, even from, say a suburban I-79 location.
I mean, if the person is up to it, then try it for a time, but I wouldn't buy a house. Rent and see how it goes.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:34 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
I'd seriously consider Carnegie. It's changing rapidly. Lots of fun places opening on Main St. Not as urban as you want, but from a commute standpoint, a good fit. It's also very close to Pittsburgh. You'd have easy access to all the city has to offer and you'd have a good array of options in Carnegie itself. Check out the Carnegie Crawl if you have a chance. https://visitcarnegie.com/carnegie-crawl/

Old 05-13-2019, 07:47 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,290 times
mt Washington for sure is your best bet.

there are 15+ restaurants/bars in the business district. a post office, grocery store, 2 convenience stores, 2 gas stations, wine and spirits, 2 salons, 2 barber shops, 3 flower/gift shops.

you also have extremely easy access to commuting in any direction.

im a 30 something guy and have lived in the area for a number of years. I can tell you firsthand that its an enjoyable area and has plenty going on for your day to day needs. Try to find a place within 5-10 min walk of shiloh/virginia.

Do you have a budget for housing?

Old 05-13-2019, 09:59 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,312,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWalker View Post
4 hours? A place like Mt. Washington to Wheeling would be about 2.5 hours a day, according to Google Maps (which isn't the final authority, but a pretty accurate tool).

Republican neighbors?!? Gasp!

I've lived in cities my entire life, its just a preference to live in one. I don't mind a 2.5 hour commute to and from work if i can still live in a city.
Ugh, spending more than 15 min traffic sounds crappy. I've purposefully made sure I never in my life had more than a 15 min commute. How you spend your time is your choice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh