Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:14 AM

35 posts, read 82,351 times

Advertisements

I don't think it's bad at all. Look at it this way, it get's better everytime somebody good moves in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 11:01 AM

29,627 posts, read 34,112,869 times
Quote:
Homestead does have one of my favorite Chinese restaurants, Me Lyng.
This place is great! It cracks me up that people are standing outside waiting for ages for PF Chang's, and Me Lyng is so much better and cheaper.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:05 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee~35 View Post
I don't think it's bad at all. Look at it this way, it get's better everytime somebody good moves in.
Not necessarily, because as one person moves in, two move out. Well, it's not quite that bad, but is still losing population.

It's hard to pin down crime trends in a place like Homestead because it is such a small town (pop. 3500) that a handful of incidents can skew the per-capita crime stats way upward. Still, the fact that a town of 3500 averages about one murder, four rapes, 30 assaults, 50 burglaries and 25 robberies per year suggests that it's not a particularly nice place. The fact that a town as small as Homestead has enough crime to even discern a trend says a lot about its problems. How isolated the waterfront residences are from those problems, I don't know.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:27 AM

64 posts, read 239,585 times
Homestead got off to a new start with the Waterfront complex but I always thought the next step for the borough was to change its name and get out from under Homewood's shadow. I have heard so many people through the years confuse Homestead and Homewood. And that only can hurt Homestead's image. Also the Waterfront actually spans through not just Homestead but the nicier (less depressed) boroughs of West Homestead and Munhall.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:03 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The fact that a town as small as Homestead has enough crime to even discern a trend says a lot about its problems. How isolated the waterfront residences are from those problems, I don't know.
Generally violent crimes tend to be between people who know each other, and that is particularly true in economically depressed areas. So while I also don't know for sure, I doubt there is much chance of someone living in Homestead proper crossing the entire Waterfront retail area and murdering a stranger living in the Waterfront residential area.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:17 AM

299 posts, read 1,005,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This place is great! It cracks me up that people are standing outside waiting for ages for PF Chang's, and Me Lyng is so much better and cheaper.
I made the mistake of going to PF Chang's once ... it was awful! I'll never go back.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 3,707 times
Smile Sit around and Listen to the native speak

Ive been living in homestead for 23 years and im a firefighter in the borough for the past 4 years. That being said you can imagine that i work closely with the police and with the residents. Homestead gets a bad wrap becuse it is a small area that is not your usual suburbinite city where everyone cuts their grass on the same day. Yes we get a good bit of crime down here... MOSTLY domestic and of course shoplifting. yes a few months ago there was a shooting over a spoiled relationship between drug dealer and purchaser, but i never really felt unsafe here.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,751,145 times
Actually I think Homestead gets a bad rap because its crime rate is astronomical. Like I said before, having such a small population can skew crime data because a handful of incidents can register a huge per-capita incident rate. Nonetheless, the fact that the numbers are consistently high year after year does paint an unflattering trend. So the bottom line is Homestead's bad rap is not exactly undeserved.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:42 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,933,215 times
As a history buff, I've walked around Homestead for years with my little camera taking pictures of not only the Eighth Ave business district, but the neighborhoods on the hill as well. Great architecture, and a great snapshot of a late 19th century early 20th century industrial town. I have never been mugged, accosted, robbed, or even looked at twice by anyone with a menacing stare. It's just an historic little one-industry town where the one industry up and left. Actually, it's a very famous town. The people who live there, for the most part, are older people, some middle class, some poorer families, and a few gay couples who bought some of the big houses near the library and fixed them up. If you get out and explore, you may not be so afraid.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:23 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,877,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
I have never been mugged, accosted, robbed, or even looked at twice by anyone with a menacing stare. . . . If you get out and explore, you may not be so afraid.
That is part of the point I was trying to make above--a lot of violent crime in this country, and particularly in areas like this, isn't between strangers. So, those sorts of crime statistics aren't necessarily indicative of a problem that would affect any random individual that happened to visit (or for that matter live in) the relevant area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh