Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 03:00 PM

266 posts, read 908,110 times

Advertisements

We have some relatives in Pittsburgh, and I'm hoping to visit the area for a few days with my husband and almost-3-year-old daughter to check out some of the sites I remember from my childhood. (My husband and I both grew up in the Burgh, but have been away a long time.) I have fond memories of Kennywood Park. Is it still a good place? When are the best times to go to avoid ridiculous crowds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 03:49 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,396,616 times
Certainly still a good place to go! Weekdays are best. Maybe check the website too to see if there's a special event going on that might add to the crowds. You may want to call ahead to make sure the Phantom's Revenge is running, if you're a coaster nut. Too many times it hasn't been.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:59 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,033,530 times
Weekends are the best?? Not to avoid the crowds. Weekends would be the worst. Actually, Friday and Saturday would be the worst, Sunday is usually okay.

I would recommend a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, personally, if you want to avoid the chaos. It's not open yet, though.

I grew up going to Kennywood, too, and although I'm only in my 20s, I don't think it's changed at all in terms of charm and safety and fun. I still find the place magical, myself.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:38 PM

41 posts, read 466,339 times
Bazz said weekDAYS.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:45 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,033,530 times
Oh you're right, I need to learn how to read. I thought he was saying weekends are the best time to have the most fun.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:35 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,839,466 times
you also might look into Idlewilde instead. It's geared toward the younger kids and even a 3 year old can ride the little roller coaster there with an adult.

It's got storybook forest and Mr Rogers neighobrhood with the trolley etc...
All my kids LOVED Idlewilde when they were little. We didn't take them to Kennywood until they were about 5 years old.

Kennywood does has the little kids area which is nice when you have little ones though.

And yes weekdays are best. Just check to makesure you aren't going on one of the local "school days"

Old 04-14-2008, 12:04 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,303,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
We have some relatives in Pittsburgh, and I'm hoping to visit the area for a few days with my husband and almost-3-year-old daughter to check out some of the sites I remember from my childhood. (My husband and I both grew up in the Burgh, but have been away a long time.) I have fond memories of Kennywood Park. Is it still a good place? When are the best times to go to avoid ridiculous crowds?
We went a couple of years ago and we had a very nice time. I thought the park was clean and charming. I'd take younger kids to it, just not babies. But a three year old can probably have some great fun.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:18 PM
igo

39 posts, read 134,128 times
The park is almost never super crowded. Just avoid holidays / holiday weekends. Certain school's "kennywood days" may make the park busier too.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:50 AM

299 posts, read 1,004,992 times
I used to work at Kennywood; crowds are generally worst on Saturdays, school picnic days, and ethnic days. Also in July and August. But the size of the crowd determines how long the park will stay open, especially in the early weeks of the season. May closings at 8 or 9 p.m. weren't rare when I worked at the entrance gates as a cashier.

But igo is right, the relative crowd size at Kennywood is never terribly bad.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:07 AM

31 posts, read 164,220 times
I enjoy Kennywood and I always have. Kiddieland is good, but your child's age is just about when my kids started to get afraid of the rides (why not younger, I could never figure out). Hopefully that's not an issue for you, but they always enjoy the merrygoround, too.
There's new ownership, so you may want to check online for changes, etc.
Wendy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh