Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:10 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
The complaint shouldn't be that the amount of money spent per pupil is less in some districts. Cause a lot of poorer districts spend plenty. And Pennsylvania as a whole spends more than most states per pupil.

I really think that the only way to turn around some districts is to go to lengthen the school day (and feed the kids breakfast and lunch and send them home with dinner) and have school go year round.
All the schools are probably pretty good. It all has to do with parents, not the actual school. PPS spends a TON on each kid and it doesn't matter one bit. No parenting, no learning. It all has to do with home life and hard work parenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 10:51 AM

433 posts, read 287,286 times
If schools were merged and my children negatively impacted, which would most likely be the case if merging a very good system with a failing one, I would definitely move. One of the primary factors for picking a location to raise a family is quality of education. I'm stating the obvious. And, I'm not going to scarifice my children's potential by staying in the district. Some will argue that their potential wouldn't be sacrificed and in fact, could possibly be bettered because of a more socioeconomically diverse environment. I get it but overall and in general, I'm not one of them and if I'm forced to be, I will move.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:09 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,857,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
One of the primary factors for picking a location to raise a family is quality of education.
This is exactly why Pennsylvania needs mandatory open enrollment and where someone lives should not limit their educational opportunities.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:19 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
If schools were merged and my children negatively impacted, which would most likely be the case if merging a very good system with a failing one, I would definitely move. One of the primary factors for picking a location to raise a family is quality of education. I'm stating the obvious. And, I'm not going to scarifice my children's potential by staying in the district. Some will argue that their potential wouldn't be sacrificed and in fact, could possibly be bettered because of a more socioeconomically diverse environment. I get it but overall and in general, I'm not one of them and if I'm forced to be, I will move.
This sums it up well. I would also move to as far away as I had to.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackstar13 View Post
This is exactly why Pennsylvania needs mandatory open enrollment and where someone lives should not limit their educational opportunities.
Yes, that's a great idea, let's take away people's freedom and choices. That always works out really well doesn't it.

Old 06-12-2019, 12:43 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Yes, that's a great idea, let's take away people's freedom and choices. That always works out really well doesn't it.
Trackstar is proposing giving EVERYONE freedom and choices,not just those with money.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:

It is working in other states and I don't see how open enrollment takes away people's freedom and choices.

Old 06-12-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Trackstar is proposing giving EVERYONE freedom and choices,not just those with money.
Exactly

Old 06-12-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
"Mandatory" in effect, takes away my freedom. What gives you the right to decide what level of education my children get? My children are now in a good school district. What you propose will lower the value of their education, no matter how you try to spin it. In effect, what you want to do is take that away from them.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
"Mandatory" in effect, takes away my freedom. What gives you the right to decide what level of education my children get? My children are now in a good school district. What you propose will lower the value of their education, no matter how you try to spin it. In effect, what you want to do is take that away from them.
I’m going to try to explain it simply enough that even you can grasp it. The “mandatory” is for governments, not individuals. He is proposing that a higher government (state or federal) mandate that lower governments allow families to choose which schools their children can attend. No one is lowering the value of any child’s education. One would only think that unless they think the value lies in exclusivity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh