Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 03:55 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,883,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"A young Syrian refugee living in Pittsburgh plotted to blow up a North Side church next month in support of the Islamic State of Iraq and Al-Sham, according to the FBI.

Mustafa Mousab Alowemer, 21, who came to the U.S. in 2016 and recently graduated from a city high school, was arrested Wednesday morning by the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force."

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/cr...Jnpk5tInxPZjTU
I wonder if Peduto will tweet about this, given his VOCAL support for refugees when it was a Progressive cause du jour. ... I doubt it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 04:00 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,059,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I wonder if Peduto will tweet about this, given his VOCAL support for refugees when it was a Progressive cause du jour. ... I doubt it.
Maybe, but it will be interesting to see who does, and what they have to say.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:23 PM

994 posts, read 497,428 times
Quote:
Interesting priority of thoughts on your part.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:22 PM

159 posts, read 170,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Where do you believe his thoughts should be prioritized?

Old 06-19-2019, 08:08 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,828,089 times
Below is a free article. Wow, that is some scary stuff! I think we need to take things VERY seriously. This isn't a very big story outside of Pittsburgh it seems. At least not yet. I hope the news sources put this on some front pages. Our guard needs to be up on this crap and I am VERY glad the FBI/Police took this guy down ahead of yet anther disaster in our nice little city.

https://www.wtae.com/article/pittsbu...hurch/28108243

Old 06-19-2019, 08:27 PM

179 posts, read 106,129 times
Peduto was quoted as saying

Quote:
Today's events are especially alarming due to the suspect's alleged target of yet another place of worship in our city, like the Tree Of Life Synagogue, which should be peaceful places of refuge and reflection that are free from threats of violence. source
I suspect someone with a more practical attitude would say that people are going after soft targets because they're soft targets (undefended); what you feel should be the case is irrelevant.

If he meant "alarming" in the sense of "beyond the pale" like Asst. AG Demers did further down in that article, it might make more sense when you consider that it was that someone from a country Pew ranked as being one of the most religiously hostile countries in the world in the year (2016) that he was brought here. It's not exactly a secret that Muslims target Christians and churches throughout the world. I guess if you just take what Peduto said at face value, then it certainly is alarming that we've welcomed people into our country who are targeting churches here like they do in other countries.

Quote:
I have always been consistent in our message: we welcome all refugees and immigrants
I don't believe we can prevent all crimes from people who were born and raised here, like the Tree Of Life murderer, but 100% of crimes committed by refugees and immigrants who are welcomed into the community are preventable. So this would appear to be in direct opposition to the statement of US Attorney Brady later in the article, that "Our top priority is protecting the citizens of Western Pennsylvania."

Old 06-20-2019, 06:11 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,912,108 times
Bad person planned to do bad thing. Plot foiled. We should stop helping people because some of them might be bad. Am I doing this right?

Old 06-20-2019, 06:21 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,893,314 times
Very happy this plot was foiled. Hope is sentenced to life in prison without parole.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:34 AM

More disturbing details..

Quote:
Alowemer also discussed the desire to bomb a Pittsburgh-area mosque with practicing Shia Muslims — but he decided against it after realizing the mosque had strong security measures, was located near a police station and that Sunni Muslims worshipped there, too, the complaint said. He chose the North Side church because it included Christians and “Nigerians,” the complaint said.
https://triblive.com/local/pittsburg...sburgh-church/

Old 06-20-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Almost as interesting as the Mayor's....
His priorities are gallivanting around the globe, and standing up to soapbox on issues that are within the purview of the Federal and State governments (ie: immigration and guns) to show what a Progressive he is. Meanwhile we have issues with poor infrastructure, a plethora of issues with PWSA, problems with Pittsburgh Police, poor public transit, gentrification, etc, etc... things that actually ARE within a Mayor's purview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shift View Post
I don't believe we can prevent all crimes from people who were born and raised here, like the Tree Of Life murderer, but 100% of crimes committed by refugees and immigrants who are welcomed into the community are preventable. So this would appear to be in direct opposition to the statement of US Attorney Brady later in the article, that "Our top priority is protecting the citizens of Western Pennsylvania."
"Bingo"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
We should stop helping people because some of them might be bad. Am I doing this right?
No. We don't need to stop helping people.
But when conservatives express concern that we may want to check out WHO we're helping and WHO we're welcoming into our communities, maybe we actually have some valid points that are worthy of consideration instead of the reflexive Progressive response of labeling us as racist xenophobes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh