Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 07:29 PM

128 posts, read 347,689 times

Advertisements

...I liked the city! I was part of a large group in town for a conference and we were there for a week (returned home yesterday). Our hotel was a few blocks away from Market Square and we walked to various sections of the area for dinner, sometimes heading back to our hotel on darkened streets after 9 p.m.

Glad I didn’t read this forum before the trip because I probably would’ve been overly concerned about our safety. We were in the direct vicinity where some of the recent stabbings occurred (had no idea until I read about them later in the news and this forum). Other than being approached by a few random people asking for or selling something and seeing a man arguing with himself, there was nothing out of the ordinary.

We enjoyed ourselves each night after conference activities and was glad to finally visit Pittsburgh. I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect, but as a visitor, I thought it was a nice city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 07:33 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFinMD View Post
...I liked the city! I was part of a large group in town for a conference and we were there for a week (returned home yesterday). Our hotel was a few blocks away from Market Square and we walked to various sections of the area for dinner, sometimes heading back to our hotel on darkened streets after 9 p.m.

Glad I didn’t read this forum before the trip because I probably would’ve been overly concerned about our safety. We were in the direct vicinity where some of the recent stabbings occurred (had no idea until I read about them later in the news and this forum). Other than being approached by a few random people asking for or selling something and seeing a man arguing with himself, there was nothing out of the ordinary.

We enjoyed ourselves each night after conference activities and was glad to finally visit Pittsburgh. I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect, but as a visitor, I thought it was a nice city.

Great! glad to hear. your chances of being stabbed in Pgh are like being struck by lightning, unless you instigate it

Old 08-24-2019, 07:46 PM

27 posts, read 24,347 times
Just visited Pittsburgh first time loved it. I was mostly in the culture district area felt safe the whole time. Pan handlers no worse then any other city. Before visiting i came to this forum and some made it feel like a bad dangerous city and after visiting i did not see that at all.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:53 PM

Oh BB is back! I never thought of it as political, but there has has always been a city vs suburb rivalry here which kinda makes me cringe because there's no good reason for it. Personally I think its just online bravado , i'm suburban myslef but like the city too

Old 08-24-2019, 09:37 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
Suburban rules! JK, I'm suburban and never really felt attacked or dismissed. Everyone has their preferences, I just like space and the ability to interact when I want to . I love heading to the city but could never live there.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:40 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Oh BB is back! I never thought of it as political, but there has has always been a city vs suburb rivalry here which kinda makes me cringe because there's no good reason for it. Personally I think its just online bravado , i'm suburban myslef but like the city too
It's legit two or three people who are the cause of most of it too. I know plenty of people who live in the suburbs and they do not say things remotely like a couple here do.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:40 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Suburban rules! JK, I'm suburban and never really felt attacked or dismissed. Everyone has their preferences, I just like space and the ability to interact when I want to . I love heading to the city but could never live there.
Bingo

Old 08-24-2019, 10:03 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,131,042 times
I think people who feel unsafe in Pittsburgh have never really spent a good amount of time in other major cities. I know there are areas I might avoid at night but even those if I found myself on a main street at midnight I wouldnt freak out. The most unsafe I ever felt was driving near Trenton at night lost. Not a major city but there is crime everywhere, most places you need to go looking for it.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:29 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
I think people who feel unsafe in Pittsburgh have never really spent a good amount of time in other major cities. I know there are areas I might avoid at night but even those if I found myself on a main street at midnight I wouldnt freak out. The most unsafe I ever felt was driving near Trenton at night lost. Not a major city but there is crime everywhere, most places you need to go looking for it.
I totally agree with you. Yes, in light of recent events this month the city should have more cops in Downtown out and about, but I have never felt personally unsafe the times I have been out and about. I work Downtown too.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:

Trenton I get, I haven't been there much but I can see how someone immediately gets a bad impression. Pittsburgh seems much safer even if there have been news stories of random violence, it may not be so random and its probably a lot less given the population. Anyway your chances of being a victim of random violence in Pgh are really low. Compared to Trenton, Philly, Baltimore, or even DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh