Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 12:07 PM

969 posts, read 772,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Why do you feel that the Strip needs more residents?
Because it's the urban core and I believe in density. Why don't you think people should live there, assuming that's your position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 12:13 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
The Strip District =/= a food desert. Seriously.
Yeah, there's not a full-service "regular" grocery store. But there's several Asian grocers, a few Italian grocers, a Middle Eastern grocer, a Mexican grocer, a bakery, a butcher, produce stands, Wholeys, spice, candy and tea shops, etc. It might be kinda hard to get the rando non-food things you need from time to time, like toothpaste and shaving cream, but it's convenient as hell for everything else.

So yeah, no one-stop shopping. But everyone used to shop at multiple stores a few generations back. And frankly if the Strip had a full-service grocery store a lot of the specialty retailers would probably die off and be replaced by more upscale bars and restaurants.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:16 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Because the Strip isn't congested enough as is...
I think many will embrace the congestion because it will make them feel like the city is becoming more significant.

I’m curious to see/hear opinions when more and more changes occur in the Strip and it possibly becomes a be careful what you wish for scenario for those that are promoting it.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Because it's the urban core and I believe in density. Why don't you think people should live there, assuming that's your position?
Let me add to that a big thing in favor of the Strip having more residents is there's basically no one to gentrify out. Prior to the Cork Factory opening on 2007 the neighborhood only had around 200 residents scattered in a handful of remaining rowhouses. Thus all of the new residential activity has taken place with virtually no displacement.

Of course, some employers have been displaced as result of new development. But these were mostly light industrial and warehouse jobs in buildings which (due to automation and the like) employed only a fraction of what they had 30-40 years ago. Keeping those jobs in the exact same area wouldn't have been the highest and best use versus hundreds of new apartments or office jobs.

I'd also say that if development happens in the Strip, it's better it's residential versus commercial. People who move to the Strip likely almost all have cars, but most of them will keep their cars parked in garages for the majority of the time. In contrast the new office buildings in the Strip will directly contribute to rush-hour traffic in the region.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:22 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yeah, there's not a full-service "regular" grocery store. But there's several Asian grocers, a few Italian grocers, a Middle Eastern grocer, a Mexican grocer, a bakery, a butcher, produce stands, Wholeys, spice, candy and tea shops, etc. It might be kinda hard to get the rando non-food things you need from time to time, like toothpaste and shaving cream, but it's convenient as hell for everything else.

So yeah, no one-stop shopping. But everyone used to shop at multiple stores a few generations back. And frankly if the Strip had a full-service grocery store a lot of the specialty retailers would probably die off and be replaced by more upscale bars and restaurants.
We can't get a full grocery order walking shop to shop to shop in the Strip, and it's a pain lugging those bags back up to Polish Hill. The specialty markets there are great for what they are, but there's no reason why both the specialty markets and a full-service grocer can't co-exist. There is a Whole Foods right near the specialty markets in South Philadelphia, for example. If we can continue to land more and more high-rises in the Strip, then density will increase to the point where both specialty markets and a full-service grocer can co-exist.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:26 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
If anybody here was around to experience the Strip on a Sunday afternoon 30 or more years ago they'd tell you it was literally a ghost town. All that space and you could walk for blocks and never see another person on the street. Bring in business, bring in people, I'm good with it.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
We can't get a full grocery order walking shop to shop to shop in the Strip, and it's a pain lugging those bags back up to Polish Hill. The specialty markets there are great for what they are, but there's no reason why both the specialty markets and a full-service grocer can't co-exist. There is a Whole Foods right near the specialty markets in South Philadelphia, for example. If we can continue to land more and more high-rises in the Strip, then density will increase to the point where both specialty markets and a full-service grocer can co-exist.
Yeah, but I'm not talking about you - I'm talking about the people who live in the Strip. Like you can roll out of Edge 1909 and walk to Penn Mac in 5 mins. Basically, the Strip's grocery options are really convenient for three groups of people - those who live there, those who work there, and suburbanites who are willing to pay the ridiculous "park all day" fees and make an entire outing of it.

They are admittedly not very convenient for people like us who live in the city but don't want to make an entire daily outing of it. I mean, even when I lived in Lawrenceville, I would really only shop in the Strip if I was biking through and pick up a single backpack of groceries. I would never drive there to shop, and I would never bus it just to shop.

This is fine though. I mean, it's not like I drive to Squirrel Hill to do grocery shopping either. Neighborhood retail is supposed to be convenient for neighborhood residents.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:34 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Because I'm concerned that the transportation infrastructure, being as 'funneled' as it is through the Strip District, has already reached its carrying capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
But you'd still have to get those bags back up to Polish Hill if you bought your groceries at a full-service grocer in the Strip??

Old 09-20-2019, 12:41 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yeah, but I'm not talking about you - I'm talking about the people who live in the Strip. Like you can roll out of Edge 1909 and walk to Penn Mac in 5 mins. Basically, the Strip's grocery options are really convenient for three groups of people - those who live there, those who work there, and suburbanites who are willing to pay the ridiculous "park all day" fees and make an entire outing of it.
I don’t find $10 for all day parking ridiculous, but since I can’t find reasons to stay there all day, I have no problem paying for 2 hour parking.

Old 09-20-2019, 12:46 PM

969 posts, read 772,376 times
Quote:
Because I'm concerned that the transportation infrastructure, being as 'funneled' as it is through the Strip District, has already reached its carrying capacity.
I commute via bus down Liberty about twice a week and my trip is about 25-30 min. Traffic inbound is nothing at 745 on Liberty. Traffic outbound can be backed up in some pinch points, near 31st but usually only the turning lane. I know this impacts your specific commute, and probably the rest of the suburban commutes in that direction but that's not my concern, catering City development needs to suburban car commuters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh