Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 10:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,800 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to Pittsburgh from Memphis to attend Rx school. I was wondering what areas are safe & not costly for a student. I don't want 2 be near many students because I need to study & possibly work. I would like to be in an area close to Univ of Pittsburgh & doesn't require a lot of driving. I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 11:01 PM

4 posts, read 8,951 times
Default Rx

I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for but one of my children went to Pitt and never had much trouble but a place you may look is Shadyside. I understand alot of young people from schools in the area like it there.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:49 PM

353 posts, read 823,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalbluelady View Post
I am interested in moving to Pittsburgh from Memphis to attend Rx school. I was wondering what areas are safe & not costly for a student. I don't want 2 be near many students because I need to study & possibly work. I would like to be in an area close to Univ of Pittsburgh & doesn't require a lot of driving. I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!!
Parts of North and South Oakland are pretty nice. You might hear bad things about Oakland from some people, but it has come up quite a bit in the last 10 years. Not only is it the location of Pitt, Univ of Pittsburgh, but its also the cultural center of the city and the shopping is pretty good in terms of food, clothes and what have you.

North Squirrel Hill is close to campus, but you probably won't find much inexpensive housing there.

I live in Shadyside. Shadyside is nice, but it can be hard to find an apt for under $700. I currently pay $825 for 700 sq ft in a nice building. That's actually not bad compared to most cities, but if I didn't have something stowed away in the bank, I could never afford it. The benefits of living in Shadyside are that its quieter than Oakland, while still being within walking distance and providing the same access to everything you need. The shopping is great on Walnut Street (don't know if you are that kinda girl or not), there is a Boarders within walking distance on the edge of East Liberty, a Giant Eagle (local grocery chain) right next door in Bloomfield, Starbucks on Coopland St. etc etc. I currently rent under Mozart Management. They are pretty good. A little shady sometimes, but they have decent places all over. If you can rent under someone else and get something less expensive then go for it.

Places to avoid would be the Hill District... anywhere in the Hill District. I wouldn't live in East Liberty. Most parts of Bloomfield are pretty nice. I would highly recommend the south area of the neighborhood, but some of the back streets towards the north are a little rough.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:56 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,920,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalbluelady View Post
If you aren't interested in a lot of student-oriented night life, you might consider Polish Hill, Highland Park, Regent Square, and Park Place, all of which are popular with students who have similar preferences.

Polish Hill looks a little rundown, but it is very safe, very affordable, and right around the corner from Oakland. Note that while it does have bus service to Oakland, I believe it doesn't run late or on weekends.

Highland Park and Regent Square are both a little farther away from Oakland than neighborhoods like Shadyside and Squirrel Hill, but they are very family-friendly neighborhoods, comparable apartments tend to be less expensive than in Shadyside or Squirrel Hill, and the bus service to Oakland from either neighborhood is very good. These are popular neighborhoods with both grad students and professors.

Finally, Park Place is where I lived when I was a grad student at Pitt. It is to the immediate north of Regent Square, and while not quite as nice, it is generally safe and a bit more affordable than Regent Square, and again has good bus service to Oakland. Note that Park Place apartments might also be listed under Regent Square, Point Breeze, Frick Park, East End, and so on (no one really knows what to call this neighborhood).

Last edited by BrianTH; 04-15-2008 at 03:06 AM..

Old 04-15-2008, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 7,800 times
Default Rx School in pittsburgh

Thanks for your replies, again it is much appreciated.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:46 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,563,606 times
Squirrel hill and shadyside are where you most likely should look. Shadyside would be my personal choice, though you'll have to see if it fits your budget or not. Oakland could work but you have to be a little more careful with exactly where your place is because Oakland is not uniformly safe or nice. It's not a terrible part of Pittsburgh but you can do better.

Regent Square and point breeze aren't too much farther and would be worth a look as well. They are pretty nice, safe areas and would likely be somewhat cheaper.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:08 AM

158 posts, read 525,788 times
I'm in grad school at Pitt. If you are going to Pitt, you should probably move to Shadyside--close to campus (walk or bus), safe, nice, some restaurants and bars that aren't flooded with young drunks. Then decide from there. Oakland is dirty and full of undergrads.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:10 AM

158 posts, read 525,788 times
No Hill District. No Wilkinsburg. Mozart Management are shady and unreliable, I think. I rent a fantastic place in Shadyside for 700!! I found it by walking the streets and phoning in numbers in windows (not the permanent signs, but the new ones). That is the best bet. But not easy.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:51 AM

20,273 posts, read 32,920,739 times
Just a casual note:

The OP stated she wanted something not too costly and not near too many students. So, while a neighborhood like Shadyside is quite nice and very convenient to Oakland, I am not sure it precisely fits the OP's requirements, insofar as it is more or less the most expensive East End neighborhood and also has a lot of students.

Which is not to say it isn't worth mentioning Shadyside anyway, but I just thought it was worth noting for the OP the ways in which Shadyside is not quite what she was asking for.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:38 AM

353 posts, read 823,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smily Gladshanks View Post
No Hill District. No Wilkinsburg. Mozart Management are shady and unreliable, I think. I rent a fantastic place in Shadyside for 700!! I found it by walking the streets and phoning in numbers in windows (not the permanent signs, but the new ones). That is the best bet. But not easy.
I don't doubt that Mozart is shady, as I indicated in my previous post, but I wouldn't say unreliable. Plus you get some real bang for your buck, in spite of the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: