Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 03:45 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
I didn't say the economy was strong or not due for correction, but unfortunately the markets don't care what you or I think. Im just saying that calling a top or the next recession is very difficult. there have been countless people calling the top since before the dow hit 20k. Oh and what do we see today, dow hits all new high yet again of 27,092.
Ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 05:53 PM

615 posts, read 393,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
I didn't say the economy was strong or not due for correction, but unfortunately the markets don't care what you or I think. Im just saying that calling a top or the next recession is very difficult. there have been countless people calling the top since before the dow hit 20k. Oh and what do we see today, dow hits all new high yet again of 27,092.
The economy is the best it has ever been. These are the best times right now. There probably won’t be another recession unless trade deals go through. There are so many jobs open across the country and not enough people to fill them. You will still have the sluggish regions, but if you are willing to move where the jobs are you can make a lot of money. I personally believe there has been good economic policy making since the late 2000s and it’s just continued onward

Old 07-11-2019, 06:26 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
From the 2020 census to the 2021 estimate.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:12 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,040,748 times
I wouldn't get too hung up on population numbers, particularly since Pittsburgh has such nice things that many people seek in a city. Taken within the context of its rustbelt peers, Pittsburgh's population is what we've come to expect, some years up, some years down. Most rustbelt metros have essentially been flatlining since 1970, granted city propers did continue to empty out in large numbers after 1970.

This population contest that is argued ad infinitum on this forum always seems absurd to me. The Dallas metro is gaining by about 125k per year, do you envy that? Would you move there? Its not about population to me, its about quality of life on a daily basis, its about you. To many, Dallas is apparently just fine, but for me, I would much rather live in Pittsburgh (or Cleveland.)

Pittsburgh will continue to flatline for the next 20 years just like its rustbelt peers. After that, don't even bother to guess, there are bigger forces that will start to play out: climate change, politics, pollution, war/terrorism, technological change. Who knows, by then, maybe smaller is better.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:59 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,644,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
And people wonder why businesses avoid or leave the area and in migration to the region is non existent. Pittsburgh wants to be a big city but it operates as a small town with the same people, policy and ideas getting recycled over and over.
I moved here from San Francisco and started a business. My next door neighbors are both self employed. She moved here from DC and he from San Diego. My neighbors on the other side of my house are from Pittsburgh. He started his own business a few years ago. We have a family from Portland, Oregon and another man from the west coast down the block. I guess my street in Crafton couldn't possibly be representative of regional trends? But seriously, it seems that many people coming to the region are well educated professionals. Families are smaller now than in the baby boom years. So while population is flatlining, it doesn't mean the economy is suffering as a result of it.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
I moved here from San Francisco and started a business. My next door neighbors are both self employed. She moved here from DC and he from San Diego. My neighbors on the other side of my house are from Pittsburgh. He started his own business a few years ago. We have a family from Portland, Oregon and another man from the west coast down the block. I guess my street in Crafton couldn't possibly be representative of regional trends? But seriously, it seems that many people coming to the region are well educated professionals. Families are smaller now than in the baby boom years. So while population is flatlining, it doesn't mean the economy is suffering as a result of it.
I am happy you came here to start a business. We need more people like you to come to the area. Since this thread is about if Pittsburgh will ever increase in population, I merely was pointing out the backwards policy and funding wants instead of needs and how it has had a negative effect on pretty much everything including business thus hindering population growth.

So let me pose a hypothetical question to you. What would the public reaction be if the water system in San Francisco was inadequate with lead lines and drainage was poor causing mass flooding every rainfall? All the while politicians were like hey we have 2 billion dollars to upgrade an adequate airport, but silence and no attention to the water system or drainage to prevent flooding? I find it hard to believe the local public would take it there. In fact I bet it would be national news.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:50 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,959,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
I am happy you came here to start a business. We need more people like you to come to the area. Since this thread is about if Pittsburgh will ever increase in population, I merely was pointing out the backwards policy and funding wants instead of needs and how it has had a negative effect on pretty much everything including business thus hindering population growth.

So let me pose a hypothetical question to you. What would the public reaction be if the water system in San Francisco was inadequate with lead lines and drainage was poor causing mass flooding every rainfall? All the while politicians were like hey we have 2 billion dollars to upgrade an adequate airport, but silence and no attention to the water system or drainage to prevent flooding? I find it hard to believe the local public would take it there. In fact I bet it would be national news.
PWSA /= Airport Authority. But enjoy continuing to conflate city and airport issues

Old 07-12-2019, 07:25 AM

969 posts, read 771,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
PWSA /= Airport Authority. But enjoy continuing to conflate city and airport issues
Hey, they may be dense but they also don't have a vote. Just internet noise, really.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:31 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times
How do people not understand not everything is connected, there are laws that govern things. To me this is part of the problem, people get in an outrage demanding change not understanding the basic facts. Lets just fix online bullying by shutting down the internet in the US too.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Hey, they may be dense but they also don't have a vote. Just internet noise, really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
How do people not understand not everything is connected, there are laws that govern things. To me this is part of the problem, people get in an outrage demanding change not understanding the basic facts. Lets just fix online bullying by shutting down the internet in the US too.

Yeah I guess you guys are right. Things just haven’t worked out for Pittsburgh with population growth like it has for other cities. I guess God just picks the winners and losers and it has had nothing to do with bad public policy the last 70 years. Keep hoping and praying we turn a corner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh