Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 01:20 PM

615 posts, read 393,805 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh was in the top ten for metros where Donald trump had more than 50 percent of the total votes cast metro wide.

Philly was 9 in votes for Clinton. Pittsburgh was 9 in votes for trump. Talk about
Polar opposite metros.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2016/...-voted/508313/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 01:30 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,590,030 times
That's why I would not want to live in most suburbs of Pittsburgh.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:32 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,150,425 times
And the concern troll is trying to divide PA's biggest cities ..... Hillary did just as well in Allegheny County as previous Democrats and Trump did the worst in the county than any Republican since Bush in 1992. Also, Wolf and Casey won two thirds of the vote in this county in November. Who Armstrong and Fayette County vote for is completely irrelevant to the places in this metro that actually matter.

It also amazes me too how many people act like Trump won in 2016 in some landslide instead of by one of the smallest and luckiest margins in history and act like the electorate didn't just reject how the GOP has been governing by a decent margin

Last edited by bradjl2009; 07-15-2019 at 01:43 PM..

Old 07-15-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Pittsburgh was in the top ten for metros where Donald trump had more than 50 percent of the total votes cast metro wide.

Philly was 9 in votes for Clinton. Pittsburgh was 9 in votes for trump. Talk about
Polar opposite metros.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2016/...-voted/508313/
I don’t know why they consider Weirton and Wheeling separate metros. Trump got 66.7 of the vote share here in the Ohio valley.

Interestingly Altoona pa metro broke for trump with 71 percent. Chambersburg pa was at 70 percent and Williamsport was 69 percent. More votes for trump in micro areas east of Pittsburgh than here in the West Virginia panhandle.

The OP will need to be selective if he chooses a suburb. There are a lot of republican areas in Allegheny county especially north and west of the city. Political affiliation means nothing to me. I dislike both groups when they are in your face. If you took out the city of Pittsburgh votes does trump win Allegheny county? It would be very close I believe

Old 07-15-2019, 01:51 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,933,464 times
[quote=slamont61;55676718... Let's see how he likes an actual 'Pittsburgh Left', if you know what I mean.[/quote]

I was in Pittsburgh this past weekend. I was stopped at a red light waiting to make a right-hand turn at an intersection posted "No Turns On Red".

The light turned Green and three oncoming cars in the Left Turn Lane all cut me off making their turn, preventing me from making my RH turn! I was driving a Full sized Suburban for cripes sake, not some innocent looking econo-box!

I am accustomed to one car occasionally making an illegal left here in Michigan by jumping the green light in front of on-coming traffic, but three cars in series!

Next time the skinny pedal is going to the floor when the light turns Green!

Old 07-15-2019, 03:43 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
It also amazes me too how many people act like Trump won in 2016 in some landslide instead of by one of the smallest and luckiest margins in history and act like the electorate didn't just reject how the GOP has been governing by a decent margin
If I remember correctly Trump has a sky-high approval rating among likely Republican voters. This means they'll turn out in droves next year to vote to re-elect him.

Meanwhile, the Democrats will probably end up putting up yet another lackluster candidate (Biden?), who will fail to attract enough people to the polls to defeat that enthusiasm among Republicans.

I'm sorry, but oft-angry working-class/lower-middle-class suburban and rural whites vote religiously (using my family back in rural PA as a prime example).

Many younger people and minorities only vote if the candidate appeals to them. Can Biden (or whomever the DNC will be pulling for this time around?) "excite" as many young people and minorities to vote for him as voted for President Obama in 2008 to drown out the very strong pro-Trump turnout?

Old 07-15-2019, 05:16 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If I remember correctly Trump has a sky-high approval rating among likely Republican voters. This means they'll turn out in droves next year to vote to re-elect him.
I think voter turnout will be low, but I feel Trump will win and it won't be because anything but the way the far left and media treat people that are open to voting for Trump. People in the middle are the majority and they are quiet. They are called the silent majority and they are huge. I am one of them. The far left treats the middle and right like crap and the media is unwatchable. Hollywood is unwatchable even for a middle person like myself. I am very uncomfortable being a democrat, so I quit this year and became an independent. I can't be part of either side with all that hate. I am not hateful and my party became filled with hate and even against me being a middle aged white male. No thanks. They lost me, but maybe I will return when and if they get it together. I voted for Bernie Sanders for goodness sake and then Hillary! Not anymore. I won't vote Trump, unless I am blocking a bigger idiot. Then I might! Again, I blame my party for enabling someone like a Trump in there. We deserve it and I feel we deserve another 4 years of him the way the dems act. Hate, hate, hate.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think voter turnout will be low, but I feel Trump will win and it won't be because anything but the way the far left and media treat people that are open to voting for Trump. People in the middle are the majority and they are quiet. They are called the silent majority and they are huge. I am one of them. The far left treats the middle and right like crap and the media is unwatchable. Hollywood is unwatchable even for a middle person like myself. I am very uncomfortable being a democrat, so I quit this year and became an independent. I can't be part of either side with all that hate. I am not hateful and my party became filled with hate and even against me being a middle aged white male. No thanks. They lost me, but maybe I will return when and if they get it together. I voted for Bernie Sanders for goodness sake and then Hillary! Not anymore. I won't vote Trump, unless I am blocking a bigger idiot. Then I might! Again, I blame my party for enabling someone like a Trump in there. We deserve it and I feel we deserve another 4 years of him the way the dems act. Hate, hate, hate.
Not to get political, but there is one candidate I like. She’s moderate and young and I think would beat trump. She’s the only one. Her name is Tulsi Gabbard. Fox News loves her and republicans and moderates would vote for her. She was the best in that debate and ripped Tim Ryan apart. If Democrats want to beat trump she’s the hope.

I’m tired of the loons on the left and on the right. Follow the constitution. People should be treated equally. We should have guns. We should have any religion we want to worship. Abortion should be legal and trade laws are stupid. If you want to make money go out and try. We shouldn’t pay off student loans for people. If the job is in the city you move there. Don’t sit at home and wait for the government to bring jobs to your dying rural town. Bring back accountability and responsibility. The world doesn’t owe you anything. You have to deal with the hand you are dealt. Everybody can make it a winning hand. Some just take more work than others to get there. Hard work an sacrifice to get there. You may not live in the city or neighborhood of your choice. Work to get there it takes time.

I’d rather have politicians that sit there collect a paycheck and not rock the boat. Keep us out of war and from collapse. Massage the system don’t turn it upside down.

And good luck OP. I hope the job works out and you find what you are looking for in Pittsburgh. If you wouldn’t mind a longer drive we would be happy to welcome you here just across the border in Weirton, WV .

Old 07-15-2019, 07:04 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,732 times
Quote:
Not to get political.

Ha, a little late for this thread to not get political.

Quote:

I’m tired of the loons on the left and on the right. Follow the constitution. People should be treated equally. We should have guns. We should have any religion we want to worship. Abortion should be legal and trade laws are stupid. If you want to make money go out and try. We shouldn’t pay off student loans for people. If the job is in the city you move there. Don’t sit at home and wait for the government to bring jobs to your dying rural town. Bring back accountability and responsibility. The world doesn’t owe you anything. You have to deal with the hand you are dealt. Everybody can make it a winning hand. Some just take more work than others to get there. Hard work an sacrifice to get there. You may not live in the city or neighborhood of your choice. Work to get there it takes time.

Um, that is pretty much my thought process. Just add in for the government to keep their noses out of most things and let nature take its course.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:19 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,150,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
You realize the Democrats just won the national House vote by 10 million right, so I think the middle has just made its voice loud and clear how they feel about the GOP. If people were as happy with Trump as some seem to think here, 41 Congressional seats would have flipped hands... Most Democrats elected are still middle aged white guys too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

Meanwhile, the Democrats will probably end up putting up yet another lackluster candidate (Biden?), who will fail to attract enough people to the polls to defeat that enthusiasm among Republicans.

I'm sorry, but oft-angry working-class/lower-middle-class suburban and rural whites vote religiously (using my family back in rural PA as a prime example).

Many younger people and minorities only vote if the candidate appeals to them. Can Biden (or whomever the DNC will be pulling for this time around?) "excite" as many young people and minorities to vote for him as voted for President Obama in 2008 to drown out the very strong pro-Trump turnout?
Well, if Millennials and Gen Z don't want that to happen, maybe they should actually vote in the primaries instead of staying home and letting older voters decide the nominee for a change as young voters are notoriously terrible at turning out for the primaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh