Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 10:57 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I have never had a political discussion with any of my neighbors in the last 45 years. How is this even a requirement for house hunting?
Some people are more sociable than others, and the OP is from Minnesota, where friendly surface-level chitchat with neighbors is a normal thing.

I'm originally from New England, so to me, Pittsburghers are raging extroverts, even though I can go weeks without speaking to one of my next door neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 11:32 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Some people are more sociable than others, and the OP is from Minnesota, where friendly surface-level chitchat with neighbors is a normal thing.

I'm originally from New England, so to me, Pittsburghers are raging extroverts, even though I can go weeks without speaking to one of my next door neighbors.
I guess i am under the impression that if your neighbors political opinions are troubling maybe they are not the problem. There are the exceptions to my theory like the guy who hung a giant swastika in his front yard recently but for the most part a couple of yard signs or bumper stickers should not keep a normal person from living in a neighborhood.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:06 PM

100 posts, read 69,726 times
West View, Ross

Old 07-14-2019, 12:15 PM

50 posts, read 39,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I guess i am under the impression that if your neighbors political opinions are troubling maybe they are not the problem. There are the exceptions to my theory like the guy who hung a giant swastika in his front yard recently but for the most part a couple of yard signs or bumper stickers should not keep a normal person from living in a neighborhood.
I don't care about yard signs or bumper stickers. To each their own. But as a left leaning person, I don't want to move into a deep sea of red either. We like multiculturalism and diversity and don't want to move into a community dominated by what church you go to or how much news entertainment you watch. Believe it or not, even in a liberal state like Minnesota these types of communities exist and they're just not our cup of tea. A healthy mix or 1/1 ratio would be fine. Just not looking for 2/1 conservative or higher, especially if it's far or alt-right style.

That being said, from my time in Pittsburgh, and what everybody has said here, I don't see this being an issue.

Old 07-14-2019, 12:30 PM

50 posts, read 39,409 times
What's the Wilkinsburg neighborhood like?

I was just skimming Zillow and something like this would be exactly what we're looking for given it's a decent neighborhood.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...11341459_zpid/

Old 07-14-2019, 12:50 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loverinthecold View Post

I was just skimming Zillow and something like this would be exactly what we're looking for given it's a decent neighborhood.

they have one of the worst school districts in the state. Also, the crime rate in parts of the neighborhood( but not all) is rather high.

Most of the people of means that move into wilkinsburg with children tend to send them to private school.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I don't care about yard signs or bumper stickers. To each their own. But as a left leaning person, I don't want to move into a deep sea of red either. We like multiculturalism and diversity and don't want to move into a community dominated by what church you go to or how much news entertainment you watch. Believe it or not, even in a liberal state like Minnesota these types of communities exist and they're just not our cup of tea. A healthy mix or 1/1 ratio would be fine. Just not looking for 2/1 conservative or higher, especially if it's far or alt-right style.

That being said, from my time in Pittsburgh, and what everybody has said here, I don't see this being an issue.
Sorry, this comes up from time to time, i was not trying to single you out. I just picked your post to hijack. I should have waited to comment especially after you had mentioned it wasn't a major issue in a previous post.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:19 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:

It’s far left and would be a good echo chamber to live in. No diversity at all. Everyone far left like most of the city. If you want diversity many first ring suburbs are more interesting than the mono note city vibe with everyone thinking alike.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:25 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:

That part of Wilkinsburg is very close to the corner of Braddock and Penn, and also close to the Regent Square business district and Frick Park, which is a desirable area. Parts of Wilkinsburg can be sketchy, and as have been mentioned, the schools aren't great, but you can't beat the commute to East Liberty from there.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-14-2019 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-14-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That part of Wilkinsburg is very close to the corner of Braddock and Penn, and also close to the Regent Square business district, which is a desirable area. Parts of Wilkinsburg can be sketchy, and as have been mentioned, the schools aren't great, but you can't beat the commute to East Liberty from there.
The schools in that area are ranked lowest in the state. I would expect to homeschool of private school if i lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh