Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 01:44 PM

50 posts, read 39,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
The schools in that area are ranked lowest in the state. I would expect to homeschool of private school if i lived there.
Private school is not an option, so I'll look elsewhere. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 01:45 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loverinthecold View Post
What's the Wilkinsburg neighborhood like?

I was just skimming Zillow and something like this would be exactly what we're looking for given it's a decent neighborhood.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...11341459_zpid/
As others have said, Wilkinsburg's public schools are horrendous. I mean, I'm someone who lives in the city and sends by kids to public school, and even I wouldn't enroll my kids in public school if I lived there. Property taxes are also among the highest, if not the absolute highest, in the state, though as a renter that wouldn't matter for you.

That particular block is transitional between the mostly white/middle class Greater Park place and the mostly black Peebles Square area. I don't think it's a particularly high-crime area for Wilkinsburg, but it's not a rapidly gentrifying area either.

You could rent a four-bedroom townhouse in Squirrel Hill for less than that, so I'm not sure why you'd consider that particular area.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As others have said, Wilkinsburg's public schools are horrendous. I mean, I'm someone who lives in the city and sends by kids to public school, and even I wouldn't enroll my kids in public school if I lived there. Property taxes are also among the highest, if not the absolute highest, in the state, though as a renter that wouldn't matter for you.

That particular block is transitional between the mostly white/middle class Greater Park place and the mostly black Peebles Square area. I don't think it's a particularly high-crime area for Wilkinsburg, but it's not a rapidly gentrifying area either.

You could rent a four-bedroom townhouse in Squirrel Hill for less than that, so I'm not sure why you'd consider that particular area.
I'm not necessarily considering it, it just popped up and looked nice and I wondered about the neighborhood. Is Squirrel Hill considered the cream of the crop within a 30 minute commute for public schools?

Old 07-14-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Is Squirrel Hill considered the cream of the crop within a 30 minute commute for public schools?
Colfax K-8 is the best neighborhood elementary school in the city of Pittsburgh. In terms of aggregate test scores, it's probably still a bit lower than Fox Chapel area, but this is entirely attributable to a non-trivial percentage of black students (22%) where it would be something like 1% in the top suburbs. Although gaps in black/white achievement at Colfax are much lower than the average (nationally, statewide, in the district, etc) they still exist to some degree, which makes it score a bit lower in aggregate. I'm outside of the Colfax feeder (my children attend magnet schools) but I'd have zero concerns sending my kids to the neighborhood school if I lived in Squirrel Hill.

Be aware though that the far southern portions of the neighborhood don't go to Colfax, but instead attend Minadeo - which is still above-average for a city school, but doesn't have as stellar of a reputation. On the other hand, all of Shadyside and Point Breeze west of Fifth Avenue also go to Colfax, meaning if you find a rental you like in those areas you could consider it.

There are no "good" public schools to the immediate east of Pittsburgh, only mediocre to bad ones (to the point that city schools are preferred over say Wilkinsburg SD or Woodland Hills SD). Many of what are traditionally considered the top suburban school districts (Fox Chapel, Upper Saint Clair, Quaker Valley, etc) are well outside a 30-minute commute range for East Liberty. This means the only "top suburban" area that really meets your qualifications is Fox Chapel SD.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:21 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
I'm not necessarily considering it, it just popped up and looked nice and I wondered about the neighborhood. Is Squirrel Hill considered the cream of the crop within a 30 minute commute for public schools?
I would say squirrel hill or shady side for city and fox chapel school district for other areas.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
I would say squirrel hill or shady side for city and fox chapel school district for other areas.
One last thing which might tilt the OP to the city - there are only 10 rentals within his price range in Fox Chapel Area School District, versus over two dozen in Squirrel Hill alone (including Shadyside makes it over 30).

Old 07-14-2019, 02:50 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
One last thing which might tilt the OP to the city - there are only 10 rentals within his price range in Fox Chapel Area School District, versus over two dozen in Squirrel Hill alone (including Shadyside makes it over 30).
There is a reason for that, it is a high demand area.

Old 07-14-2019, 02:53 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
I've done just fine in Squirrel Hill. If there's one thing I've learned, it's that everybody who has a bridge or a tunnel between their house and their office spends way too much of their life planning things around when the roads are busy and nearly all underestimate how much all the driving costs in terms of $ and hours.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Colfax K-8 is the best neighborhood elementary school in the city of Pittsburgh. In terms of aggregate test scores, it's probably still a bit lower than Fox Chapel area, but this is entirely attributable to a non-trivial percentage of black students (22%) where it would be something like 1% in the top suburbs. Although gaps in black/white achievement at Colfax are much lower than the average (nationally, statewide, in the district, etc) they still exist to some degree, which makes it score a bit lower in aggregate. I'm outside of the Colfax feeder (my children attend magnet schools) but I'd have zero concerns sending my kids to the neighborhood school if I lived in Squirrel Hill.

Be aware though that the far southern portions of the neighborhood don't go to Colfax, but instead attend Minadeo - which is still above-average for a city school, but doesn't have as stellar of a reputation. On the other hand, all of Shadyside and Point Breeze west of Fifth Avenue also go to Colfax, meaning if you find a rental you like in those areas you could consider it.

There are no "good" public schools to the immediate east of Pittsburgh, only mediocre to bad ones (to the point that city schools are preferred over say Wilkinsburg SD or Woodland Hills SD). Many of what are traditionally considered the top suburban school districts (Fox Chapel, Upper Saint Clair, Quaker Valley, etc) are well outside a 30-minute commute range for East Liberty. This means the only "top suburban" area that really meets your qualifications is Fox Chapel SD.
Thanks for the info!

I'm a firm believer in public schools, so that's the route we intend to go.

I don't get too hung up on test scores or finding the absolute best or highest achieving schools.

What I do want is a public school that is safe, with little reputation for bullying, drugs, etc. And one where my girls will be happy and be able to find friends.

As odd as it sounds, the academic aspects of the school are less important than the safety and comfort.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:27 PM

615 posts, read 394,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And of those, you can immediately discount Scott, Greentree and Brentwood, because they'll be much more than a 30 minute commute to East Liberty during rush.
Most places are a 30 minute commute from East Liberty during rush hour. Green tree is 17 minutes, the farthest part of Scott is 25. We have a friend that works at Children’s Hospital. She makes it home in 40 minutes during rush hour to Whitehall and driving through Brentwood. If you haven’t driven it you don’t know.

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

I'm a firm believer in public schools, so that's the route we intend to go.

I don't get too hung up on test scores or finding the absolute best or highest achieving schools.

What I do want is a public school that is safe, with little reputation for bullying, drugs, etc. And one where my girls will be happy and be able to find friends.

As odd as it sounds, the academic aspects of the school are less important than the safety and comfort.
Dormont, Carnegie are options as well. They are mediocre schools but safe. If you are looking to buy and have a decent budget Rosslyn Farms is a hidden gem. It is the same school district as Carnegie. Bellevue, benavon and emsworth would be good choices. They are around the Ross /west view area

I personally would avoid Wilkinsburg. I like Edgewood and Churchill, but Woodland Hills is just not a safe district anymore. Oakmont is probably the only eastern Allegheny suburb I’d touch with kids. Maybe north Versailles as well. East Allegheny school district isn’t so bad. The eastern Allegheny county suburbs have declined a lot and the school districts are low performing and not as safe as they were 10 to 15 years ago. I’d keep my search north, south or west of the golden triangle(downtown). That’s the problem of working in the east end part of town with a family. If you want decent and safe public schools your gonna to have a commute and live outside of the city north, west or south and use a parkway, route 65, route 28 or the liberty tunnel to get into the east end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh