Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 11:19 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yall really shouldn't be questioning a black man on whether racism really exists in the area. I'm sure gets lots of reactions from people we do not.
I am curious on where he believes racism is not as prevalent in pgh. I think it is a fair question as a follow up to his statement. I feel that it is everywhere in the city and suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 11:22 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
If you don't understand why a Black man married to an immigrant might not want to raise kids in a community full of Trump supporters, I don't have enough time to bring you up to speed.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:28 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Yall really shouldn't be questioning a black man on whether racism really exists in the area. I'm sure he gets lots of reactions from people we do not.
If statements are going to be made on a public forum, then there should be no issue giving the specific areas.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
If you don't understand why a Black man married to an immigrant might not want to raise kids in a community full of Trump supporters, I don't have enough time to bring you up to speed.
So you’re saying all Trump supporters are racist?

Old 07-15-2019, 11:39 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,024 times
Here is a map showing the breakdown of the election results as a guide. I am a trump supporter, i am curious if you say my neighborhood. Btw clinton took most of allegheny county by a majority so i guess anywhere in the city is an acceptable place to raise your children?

https://archive.theincline.com/2016/...ent-for-trump/

Old 07-15-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
^ This. I'm white and have overheard some overt racist remarks since moving here. Racism does still exist here, believe it or not.
Nobody said racism doesn’t exist. However, the thinking by some that think every white person is racist is absolutely ridiculous, and racist in itself.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:46 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Nobody said racism doesn’t exist. However, the thinking by some that think every white person is racist is absolutely ridiculous.
I don't think that was what he implied.

I recall years ago, Wpipkins mentioned that when he goes to South Hills Village with his family, some people stare at them like they have nine heads. IIRC he said that was the only mall it happened in - people don't act like that at the Monroeville Mall, the Robinson Mall, or even the Ross Park Mall (despite it being the most upscale). It was one of many reasons he said he was just uncomfortable with the South Hills, and would never consider living there.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:47 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
So you’re saying all Trump supporters are racist?
I'm saying that all (100%) of Trump supporters are either oblivious to or have a high tolerance for racism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Here is a map showing the breakdown of the election results as a guide. I am a trump supporter, i am curious if you say my neighborhood. Btw clinton took most of allegheny county by a majority so i guess anywhere in the city is an acceptable place to raise your children?

https://archive.theincline.com/2016/...ent-for-trump/
The OP stated that they would rather not live around a bunch of Trump supporters, and others suggested that caring about the political climate in which one chooses to live is somehow trivial. I simply offered up that experiences are different among people who aren't cis-het Caucasians. For many of us, it isn't just about differing opinions. Trump heavy enclaves are not welcoming environments for all of us, and may not be healthy places to raise our children.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:48 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
I don't think that was what he implied.

I recall years ago, Wpipkins mentioned that when he goes to South Hills Village with his family, some people stare at them like they have nine heads. IIRC he said that was the only mall it happened in - people don't act like that at the Monroeville Mall, the Robinson mall, or even the Ross Park Mall (despite it being the most upscale). It was one of many reasons he said he was just uncomfortable with the South Hills, and would never consider living there.
^ Correct. Even as a gay person, for example, there are certain places I'd feel comfortable walking hand-in-hand with my partner, and there's certain places I would not feel comfortable doing so.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:49 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
^ This. I'm white and have overheard some overt racist remarks since moving here. Racism does still exist here, believe it or not.
It is around from white to black and even more from black to white, but it isn’t the norm. In highly educated communities like mine people are above such things. I should know since I lived all over the city and in the burbs. Less racism in first ring suburbs. Plenty of racism in the city. Go way out and you find more racism.

With the new echo chamber vibe in the cities I find it unwelcoming. Much better 5 or so years ago. Echo chambers are bad for cities. I like diverse minds and I don’t find that in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh