Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 02:29 PM

50 posts, read 39,369 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm looking for help in narrowing down some neighborhoods. My wife has a potential job opportunity in Pittsburgh, and while it's nowhere near a done deal yet, we are both optimistic about the possibility of relocating should she receive an offer.

We are from, and currently live in Minnesota. We spent 6 years living in New Brunswick, NJ and have visited Pittsburgh many times traveling back and forth from the coast to the Midwest. I've had a lot of good, touristy fun in Pittsburgh but I'm not really familiar with the neighborhood aspects and such as far as where would be a good place to live.

Her job, if she gets an offer (hopefully not jinxing it), would be outside of downtown in the East Liberty area.

Our general criteria in what we are looking for is as follows:

An ideal commute (as in when traffic is flowing smoothly) of around 30 minutes or less. Obviously, there are going to be days with bad traffic congestion. Bus or train transportation to the East Liberty area would be great instead of having to drive all the time.

Small single, family home with a small backyard. Ideally under $2000 a month for rent. Not looking to buy right away. I'm a musician though so no rowhouses or condos. Need to be able to practice without getting the cops called for noise complaints.

Very safe neighborhood for two young girls (ages 2 and 6).

Good schools, daycare nearby for young girls.

Easy access to shopping (Target, Walmart, nearby Mall, big box grocery, etc.).

Moderate to left leaning political views. To each their own, but we're not interested in moving to a deep Trump area.

Based on that criteria, the two areas that come up when I dig around are Monroeville and Ross Township. Both have a decent size mall and other shopping and appear to fit the bill for the other criteria, but maybe there are other closer areas too. Looking for some local advice. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 06:28 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,459,774 times
Monroeville doesn't have a very highly rated school district.

I think you would probably like Aspinwall. its in the fox chapel school district which is one of the highest rated in our area. decently easy commute to east liberty and plenty of access to shopping.

finding a rental home may be a bit challenging, but I'm sure if you look for a while something would pop up.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:25 PM

50 posts, read 39,369 times
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out!

I've also heard good things about Cranberry Township, but not sure what that commute would be like.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:36 PM

615 posts, read 393,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loverinthecold View Post
Hi all,

I'm looking for help in narrowing down some neighborhoods. My wife has a potential job opportunity in Pittsburgh, and while it's nowhere near a done deal yet, we are both optimistic about the possibility of relocating should she receive an offer.

We are from, and currently live in Minnesota. We spent 6 years living in New Brunswick, NJ and have visited Pittsburgh many times traveling back and forth from the coast to the Midwest. I've had a lot of good, touristy fun in Pittsburgh but I'm not really familiar with the neighborhood aspects and such as far as where would be a good place to live.

Her job, if she gets an offer (hopefully not jinxing it), would be outside of downtown in the East Liberty area.

Our general criteria in what we are looking for is as follows:

An ideal commute (as in when traffic is flowing smoothly) of around 30 minutes or less. Obviously, there are going to be days with bad traffic congestion. Bus or train transportation to the East Liberty area would be great instead of having to drive all the time.

Small single, family home with a small backyard. Ideally under $2000 a month for rent. Not looking to buy right away. I'm a musician though so no rowhouses or condos. Need to be able to practice without getting the cops called for noise complaints.

Very safe neighborhood for two young girls (ages 2 and 6).

Good schools, daycare nearby for young girls.

Easy access to shopping (Target, Walmart, nearby Mall, big box grocery, etc.).

Moderate to left leaning political views. To each their own, but we're not interested in moving to a deep Trump area.

Based on that criteria, the two areas that come up when I dig around are Monroeville and Ross Township. Both have a decent size mall and other shopping and appear to fit the bill for the other criteria, but maybe there are other closer areas too. Looking for some local advice. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Now I would love to recommend Weirton, WV. I know I will get some nasty replies on here. It would be around 40 minutes to commute to Pittsburgh. However we have a lot of those things you mention with great access to Robinson township. Hey I had to at least give it a shot

In another thread we were talking about population and future census numbers. One area I always liked was Scott Township. It fits probably everything you are looking for. It is a little more left leaning than here in Weirton. I’d honestly look at Scott Township. You have pretty good access to either Robinson Mall or south hills village. And the commute would be in your timeframe. Charters Valley school district is excellent. Again it probably is a better choice than Ross and definitely a better choice than monroeville. Scott is very safe and it is a built out suburban township.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:45 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Finding a whole house rental in any neighborhood in Pittsburgh is difficult, because this is very much more of a homeowner than a renter-focused metro. When you restrict this to family-friendly neighborhoods at a reasonable price, it's even more difficult. Basically there are a lot of areas you could consider as a potential homeowner at that general price point where stock will be very hard to come buy at the same price point renting.

To add to this, since your older daughter is school age, unless you wanted to disrupt her whole schooling for a second year in a row, you'd basically become "locked in" to whatever particular neighborhood you ended up renting in.

If I were in your position, I'd rent a three bedroom apartment/townhouse in an area you like and some sort of off-site studio space for the first year. Set up your home studio when you find your "forever home."

Personally, I think Squirrel Hill and Aspinwall would work best for your needs, but YMMV.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:47 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loverinthecold View Post
I've also heard good things about Cranberry Township, but not sure what that commute would be like.
Cranberry is pretty right-wing as far as Pittsburgh suburbs go, in part because its growth was fueled to a large part by people fleeing across the county line for lower property taxes. As far as commuting, it's not a bad area to live if you work downtown, but commuting into the East End would make it a bit more difficult to recommend.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:00 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,130,675 times
Many people seem to be missing the 30 min from East End. That definitely limits your options, then school rankings on top. Cranberry to East End maybe in 30 min at 2am, not even sure then? For the rest, I think $2k gives you plenty of options just rentals are not as easy to find. Not Trump country, I can't really name any hardcore right areas in the general area so not sure I'd worry about that. I lean more moderate/right, seem to be in the minority but really not an issue for either side I've found, more like you mention moderate/left.

You mention schools, for what ages? If you are only going to be in an area for 1 year before buying, school ratings can vary from Elementary to HS vs when you buy maybe focusing on the District overall. Fox Chapel, Aspinwall, Squirrel Hill maybe Shaler or Allison Park but AP might really be pushing 30 min. Ross might be an option too but also 30 min might be close under normal rush hour traffic.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:05 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,130,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Cranberry is pretty right-wing as far as Pittsburgh suburbs go, in part because its growth was fueled to a large part by people fleeing across the county line for lower property taxes. As far as commuting, it's not a bad area to live if you work downtown, but commuting into the East End would make it a bit more difficult to recommend.

Granted I dont live in Cranberry but we don most of our shopping outside groceries there. I've never really noticed it as noticeably right wing. I think as you get the the burbs things start to move a little less left. I honestly can't say I can think of anywhere I'd say is Far Right majority, I've lived down south so I do know far right communities and if that is what you mean I don't think you have any worry unless you get pretty far from the city.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:10 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Blawnox if you can find something. Also O'Hara has a wide variety of homes in all price ranges. Both are good commutes and Fox Chapel Schools.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:18 PM

433 posts, read 287,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
Monroeville doesn't have a very highly rated school district.

I think you would probably like Aspinwall. its in the fox chapel school district which is one of the highest rated in our area. decently easy commute to east liberty and plenty of access to shopping.

finding a rental home may be a bit challenging, but I'm sure if you look for a while something would pop up.
I go through Aspinwall quite often and seem to see "for rent" signs frequently. From Aspinwall, East Liberty is just across the bridge. And while I can't vouch for any particular political leaning, it's not a "Trump area" and would guess that it's moderate to left leaning. It's just a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh