Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 04:14 PM

81 posts, read 43,807 times

Advertisements

The Public Transportation isn't great. On any given weekday , there will literally be about 3 or 4 P1's lined up behind each other on Smithfield Street.

Absolutely ridiculous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 05:17 PM

615 posts, read 393,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I agree with everything you've said here. Overall I do find the Northern Panhandle of WV, just depressing and feeling like somewhere stuck 25 years in the past. Wheeling does have some nice spots and architecture, but overall not many people are going to voluntarily choose to live out that way if they work in Pittsburgh. Unlike your typical exburb (Cranberry), you'll still have to drive into the this area to do your major shopping.
Lol and a good part of the city of Pittsburgh isn’t stuck more than 25 years in the past? Man give me some of that kool aid.

Weirton was still growing into the 1970s. Pittsburgh’s growth stopped long before that.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:06 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Lol and a good part of the city of Pittsburgh isn’t stuck more than 25 years in the past? Man give me some of that kool aid.

Weirton was still growing into the 1970s. Pittsburgh’s growth stopped long before that.
According to the Wiki page, the city of Weirton reached its population peak in 1960, meaning it only had an extra decade of growth over Pittsburgh.

Even this doesn't really mean much honestly. West Virginia has the southern mode of local government, meaning strong counties, scattered cities, and lots of unincorporated county land. Weirton expanded from the Ohio River to the Pennsylvania border, isn't really bordered by any built up areas to its north, and to its south doesn't have any sizable unincorporated areas left but East Steubenville.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:56 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,955,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wood_lake View Post
Damn, nailed it. This is exactly how I felt when I was living in Pittsburgh. In my earlier post in this thread I said how the locals absolutely do not want their worldview questioned and this is exactly why. Everything had to be the same, one way, and if you ever deviated from that you got so much backlash. The concept of "different strokes for different folks" just wasn't something that was adhered to, ever.

I was always told Pittsburgh was a "live and let live" type of place but I experienced the polar opposite. If you didn't adhere to a strict way of living and appropriate self beliefs you were shunned and had zero chance at penetrating social circles. In many cases people will be outright hostiles towards you at even the slightest deviation from what they deem appropriate. I'm not even talking about the kitschy "Hunts vs. Heinz" debate type stuff either, but stuff like "you live in across the river and I don't like that part of town, so you are a lesser person".

The sad part is that it's not just the old school Yinzer types, but the young people too (who at times are even stricter about what they deem as rocking the boat).
Must be two Pittsburghs.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:41 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,915,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaldude12 View Post
The Public Transportation isn't great. On any given weekday , there will literally be about 3 or 4 P1's lined up behind each other on Smithfield Street.

Absolutely ridiculous
Wait...so there are too many buses? That is the busiest bus route in the entire system and it is always packed.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:16 PM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Wait...so there are too many buses? That is the busiest bus route in the entire system and it is always packed.
The P1s are ridiculous. There certainly are a stack of them - I've seen three immediately in succession, and all packed.

SoCaldude, you might not realize that by the time those buses load, they are ready to explode - even when there are three P1s in a row.

The bus system is much maligned, but I grant the Authority kudos. It appears they SCALED back to stay within their means, and have slowly expanded to accommodate proven demand. They run themselves well, unlike, say, the City of Pittsburgh, which is just lucky to get a windfall from gentrification.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:57 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Must be two Pittsburghs.
Bingo

Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh City-Data

Old 07-20-2019, 09:42 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post

LOL not at the level of the state you live in which happens to have one of the worst qualities of life of any state in the country.....

Old 07-20-2019, 09:44 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Even if different modes of transportation cut Parkway West traffic in half, the Parkway West would still be over capacity. It needs to be widened, period, bottom line.
It does. While I am honestly against further expanding spur highways into rural areas, the Parkway East and West have been badly overcapacity for decades now and need to be widened.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:13 PM

615 posts, read 393,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo

Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh City-Data

Couldn’t agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
LOL not at the level of the state you live in which happens to have one of the worst qualities of life of any state in the country.....
Keep it classy. Maybe one day Pittsburgh will grow and be a place people will move to. If you are able to live forever you may see it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh