Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 12:11 PM

615 posts, read 394,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Yeah..... so its not just us racist suburbanites and ill-informed out-of-state residents who are making these observations.....

Stop homering, stop covering for Peduto's failings, and step outside of your East End cloisters of privilege.
These problems are real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
The irony is the forum clique hasn't stepped foot on Carson or Forbes in 10 years. I'm waiting for them to call you a troll or produce the standard Souless Cranberry garbage.
Quote:
Ding ding ding.
Can't rep you again, sorry mate - but completely agree with you and the post that you replied to.
There really is a tale of two Pittsburghs that we're living through.
All good comments. I love Pittsburgh and want to see it succeed. The hardest thing is to admit your own failures and areas needing improvement. Being able to see it yourself. Pittsburgh struggles with that.

No area is perfect. And I have no qualms admitting to the failures of West Virginia. The difference is I see hope in my little town. And the hope comes from the city leaders here admitting to long term failure and working to make it better. Whatever that translates to in the future I don’t know. But the first step to recovery is admitting to a problem.

Pittsburgh has difficulty embracing and accepting its own failure. It is always some other reason and not the city itself. It’s suburbanites that don’t pay taxes it’s people being bused in from the outside and it’s the state. And so son and so on. It’s endless pandering to one area of the city and only one group of people. When it starts to identify its own issues and takes care of its own housekeeping is when it will change. Gotta do the little things right first.

Downtown needs cleaned up. That’s where the money is made and that’s where people go to see Pittsburgh. That is the first impression of the city. If downtown sucks they won’t go to see lawrenceville. If that looks bad it fails and the region fails as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 12:21 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
All good comments. I love Pittsburgh and want to see it succeed. The hardest thing is to admit your own failures and areas needing improvement. Being able to see it yourself. Pittsburgh struggles with that.

No area is perfect. And I have no qualms admitting to the failures of West Virginia. The difference is I see hope in my little town. And the hope comes from the city leaders here admitting to long term failure and working to make it better. Whatever that translates to in the future I don’t know. But the first step to recovery is admitting to a problem.

Pittsburgh has difficulty embracing and accepting its own failure. It is always some other reason and not the city itself. It’s suburbanites that don’t pay taxes it’s people being bused in from the outside and it’s the state. And so son and so on. It’s endless pandering to one area of the city and only one group of people. When it starts to identify its own issues and takes care of its own housekeeping is when it will change. Gotta do the little things right first.

Downtown needs cleaned up. That’s where the money is made and that’s where people go to see Pittsburgh. That is the first impression of the city. If downtown sucks they won’t go to see lawrenceville. If that looks bad it fails and the region fails as a result.
But will it ever, and can it ever???
The defensiveness within Pittsburgh's culture can often feel impenetrable..

Old 08-10-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
That’s the million dollar question. Up to this point the answer is no and there has been no evidence of that changing in the near future. If you are an outsider that reads this board, you can easily mistake Pittsburgh as being a city of a dozen or so neighborhoods. You don’t realize their are 80 others that exist. Not only the out of touch with crime but the population numbers. I think they are totally missing the amount of decline in the 80 other neighborhoods. I Could be wrong on that but I’d bet otherwise. The southside grew by 15 percent the prior decade but the city still lost a whopping 28,000 residents. I remember talk of the city being flat and not declining much back then. The losses were 8,000 worse than originally projected.

If Weirton grew in the 2020s, Pittsburgh posters would somehow spin it and try to give Pittsburgh the credit, via proximity or something ridiculous like that. Right now Weirton has no ties to Pittsburgh, but if it grew it now does have ties. It is the the thought process and a culture difficult to change.

Crime downtown is not good. The fact that businesses are choosing greater downtown means something and it’s not good for the long term health of the main core of the city.

I’m
Hoping the Pittsburgh cultural trust really pushes this issue. It needs to be mentioned until things start to
Improve.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:48 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
It won’t get cleaned up unless police can be proactive like they used to be. Protesters and Peduto aren’t on board with that so Pittsburgh will slowly go downhill. Just the way it is.

Pittsburgh residents are so out of touch they protest when gangbangers get pulled over after trying to murder someone then the killers or accomplices try and flee and get shot by an officer protecting the citizens from more killing. When you are that out of touch things are going to go to crap and fast.

Last edited by gg; 08-10-2019 at 03:00 PM..

Old 08-11-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
That’s the million dollar question. Up to this point the answer is no and there has been no evidence of that changing in the near future. If you are an outsider that reads this board, you can easily mistake Pittsburgh as being a city of a dozen or so neighborhoods. You don’t realize their are 80 others that exist.
One thing that's interesting to me is that Pittsburgh's culture certainly has some Scots-Irish influence: the clannishness, the parochialism, and also the very thin-skin when faced with any criticism which leads to lashing back in anger instead of reflecting on the differing perspective.
In this sense, Pittsburgh is very Appalachian.

But unlike many other places in Appalachia, which are very contemptuous of government - Pittsburgh has an abiding love for big government and a deep tolerance for ineffectiveness and corruption within that government.

I think that its the Eastern European (keep your head down, know your place, don't rock the boat, don't speak up against the authorities) and Italian (a bloated, ineffective and corrupt government along with toleration of crime) cultural influences within Pittsburgh that cause it to be different.

And in defense of our readers who may not know that Pittsburgh consists of more than a dozen neighborhoods - the current mayoral administration only behaves as if the City consists of a dozen or so neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It won’t get cleaned up unless police can be proactive like they used to be. Protesters and Peduto aren’t on board with that so Pittsburgh will slowly go downhill. Just the way it is.

Pittsburgh residents are so out of touch they protest when gangbangers get pulled over after trying to murder someone then the killers or accomplices try and flee and get shot by an officer protecting the citizens from more killing. When you are that out of touch things are going to go to crap and fast.

The DA acting like an idiot doesn't help matters either.
-Cop shoots a black teenager while he was gangbanging. DA tries to crucify the cop.
-Other cops get plastered on the South Side, pick a fight in a bar, call in back-up, beat the heck out of people, and then try to destroy evidence afterwards. DA decides not to do ANYTHING about those cops.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
One thing that's interesting to me is that Pittsburgh's culture certainly has some Scots-Irish influence: the clannishness, the parochialism, and also the very thin-skin when faced with any criticism which leads to lashing back in anger instead of reflecting on the differing perspective.
In this sense, Pittsburgh is very Appalachian.

But unlike many other places in Appalachia, which are very contemptuous of government - Pittsburgh has an abiding love for big government and a deep tolerance for ineffectiveness and corruption within that government.

I think that its the Eastern European (keep your head down, know your place, don't rock the boat, don't speak up against the authorities) and Italian (a bloated, ineffective and corrupt government along with toleration of crime) cultural influences within Pittsburgh that cause it to be different.

And in defense of our readers who may not know that Pittsburgh consists of more than a dozen neighborhoods - the current mayoral administration only behaves as if the City consists of a dozen or so neighborhoods.
I love your first paragraph. It sounds like you are describing my wife lol. She grew up in the south hills. I grew up in Allegheny County as well. But you are right about Pittsburgh being Appalachian. I’ve said that over and over. It’s in a northeastern state but not northeastern at all. Appalachia extends from just west of Harrisburg and ends just past zanesville Ohio. That whole area is neither northeastern or Midwest. Even though those areas are in what maps consider a northeastern state in pa and a midwestern State such as Ohio.

So then what is West Virginia? Are we considered south if Appalachia isn’t an option? We aren’t really south either if you look at the civil war etc.

I always thought Kentucky, West Virginia and Maryland were funny in between states that don’t really fit in the south or the north or the Midwest or the northeast.

But yeah I think there is going to be a lot of soul searching going on for the Pittsburgh area. I think it has to somehow prioritize and decide on what they want to be. I think the growth corridor and western suburbs and exurbs are set with logistics and energy jobs. The rest of the metro is kinda lost and Pittsburgh right now only cares about a few east end neighborhoods. And not even downtown, where all of its money is made.

I don’t know what Pittsburgh’s 2030 vision is but I can’t see how the city can be a success without a safe and thriving downtown. And you can’t just rely on a handful of residential neighborhoods to carry an entire city the size of Pittsburgh. The economic engine is downtown and the city should do better because it can if it needs to and it is essential for the long term economic health of the entire region. Otherwise all the money is going to go where the growth is and that will be cranberry to canonsburg to past the airport.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:28 PM

994 posts, read 502,049 times
Wow.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Wow.
No kidding!

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion...s/201908090022

Old 08-11-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Love it!!!!!
See folks - I'm not delusional, and it's not just be saying these things!!!

Old 08-11-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Love it!!!!!
See folks - I'm not delusional, and it's not just be saying these things!!!
I appreciate the posters concern for Pittsburgh. They are down in Atlanta now and a little disconnected from what is going on in the city and region. We can both see things a little clearer here.

I would probably come into the city once a month to enjoy the cultural district, but this is the reason why I Don’t.

I feel bad because there are a lot of good people that want the best for Pittsburgh. I’ve seen it on this board. But there is a group on here that says they care about Pittsburgh. They speak the loudest and make things a personal attack. They live in silos and fail to see the big picture. The mayor of the city is living in his own silo. Blaming Trump for Pittsburgh’s problems. I don’t like trump at all but he isn’t mayor of Pittsburgh, Peduto is. Peduto was mayor before trump was president. And he blames the feds for Pittsburgh’s problem? If that’s the case start blaming every president that held office since Herbert Hoover, because Pittsburgh hasn’t grown since then. It’s ridiculous...

Pittsburgh cultural trust is one of the few Pittsburgh boosting non profits I respect. Their work is sincere. On the other hand the Allegheny Comference is totally silent on this. They should’ve folded when they supported the stadium tax 20 years ago and kept the amazon bid silent with heartfelt taxpayer giveaways. Peduto has photoops and kisses the feet of their leader and she’s as crooked as the day is long. Yet he can’t have a good relationship with Mr.McMahon, whose organization is mostly responsible for bringing downtown back from the doldrums.

If anything Peduto is a lot like trump. Both live in a silo, tone deaf, gets along with the poor leaders and can’t maintain a healthy relationship with good leaders, tweets ridiculous posts, stirs the pot and puts foot in mouth and is a divider not a Uniter One just happens to be a republican and the other a Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh