Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2019, 12:37 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,129,168 times

Advertisements

We will see on Mason. I mean I don't think he will be the next Ben but maybe he develops into a solid starter. I will say I think he is by far the best replacement to Ben we have tried so far, maybe not the answer but much better than others.

Old 09-23-2019, 12:43 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Agreed

Old 09-23-2019, 06:10 PM

615 posts, read 393,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
We will see on Mason. I mean I don't think he will be the next Ben but maybe he develops into a solid starter. I will say I think he is by far the best replacement to Ben we have tried so far, maybe not the answer but much better than others.
That’s a pretty good assessment and I agree.

This team stinks otherwise from top to bottom. The O Line is the biggest disappointment of them all. James Conner was a feel good story and an inspiration but he stinks at football. JuJu ain’t a number 1 receiver yet either. He is half the talent of AB right now. Cam Heyward and bud Dupree are huge disappointments. Overall a defense that is just not very good.

I like Fitzpatrick, but giving up a first rounder for him could end up being a disaster especially if the Steelers are a bottom 10 or bottom 5 first round pick in 2020. I like Fitzpatrick but he wouldn’t be worth a top 5 or 10 first round pick if the Steelers finish that low. Right now it’s looking possible they could finish in the bottom 10 maybe lower.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:11 PM

170 posts, read 97,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Oh and Tomlin is way past his expiration date. Very sloppy every week.
I have been saying this for the past several years, I really don't think the Rooney's care. Cowher had a number of so-so years himself and in their minds perhaps it's part of doing business maybe?

Although in fairness, Cowher made the playoffs ten times in fifteen seasons, Tomlin is eight in twelve seasons before this one per Wikipedia.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28CarsLater View Post
I have been saying this for the past several years, I really don't think the Rooney's care. Cowher had a number of so-so years himself and in their minds perhaps it's part of doing business maybe?

Although in fairness, Cowher made the playoffs ten times in fifteen seasons, Tomlin is eight in twelve seasons before this one per Wikipedia.
Cowher was a much better coach than tomlin. I didn’t care for his blow hard personality but he didn’t have a really good QB till he drafted Ben. He made the playoffs with average QBs like Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Tommy Maddox, and super bowl with average Neil O’Donnell and I believe Kent Graham. Ben was the best QB he had and it led to a Super Bowl win. His players also respected him.

Tomlin has had Ben his whole coaching career. Cowher drafted Ben and that is what carried Tomlins coaching career. Tomlins Super Bowl win was with Cowher’s team. Oh and Troy Polamalu was a cowher draft pick. Who really stands out as a great Tomlin draft pick that they won with? You know what I mean.

Tomlin can’t coach without Ben. Cowher coached for years and made playoffs with qbs of a mason rudolph caliber taking snaps behind center. I would argue that cowher held onto Kordell too long as a QB

Old 09-23-2019, 10:23 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Tomlins Super Bowl win was with Cowher’s team.
I always hear people saying this, but I have never understood it. They were Colbert's players not just Cowher's. And if simply inheriting a team was good enough to win super bowls then a ton of teams like the eagles should have a couple. Cowher lost many AFC title games, a super bowl, and couldn't even win with his own players (went 8-8 after winning the super bowl). Teams are just different year to year.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:37 AM

684 posts, read 419,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
I always hear people saying this, but I have never understood it. They were Colbert's players not just Cowher's. And if simply inheriting a team was good enough to win super bowls then a ton of teams like the eagles should have a couple. Cowher lost many AFC title games, a super bowl, and couldn't even win with his own players (went 8-8 after winning the super bowl). Teams are just different year to year.
But he's white.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:48 AM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
But he's white.
And?

Old 09-24-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
But he's white.
His skin color has nothing to do with it. Why would you even make a statement like that? I like Tomlin much better as a person than Cowher. I just think Cowher was the more disciplined and better coach.

Cowher lost many AFC champ games with the likes of Neil ODonnell and Kordell Stewart at QB. Of his 15 years coaching only 3 of them were with a franchise QB. He lost Super Bowl 30 with an inferior QB and running game. Had his average QB not known for turnovers , threw one less interception the Steelers could’ve pulled an upset. It is fair to say he got the most out of average talent at the QB position. Not to mention recycling of mike tomczak and tommy Maddox to give this team a playoff game and winning record for this crap football town fan base where most folks know nothing about the game.

Tomlin was handed a franchise QB in the prime of his career. He won the Super Bowl with a team that was mostly Cowher era players. Ben won that game himself and cemented himself as a legend. Tomlin has had one QB the whole time. A franchise player and sure hall of gamer. Yet only 1 Super Bowl win, Super Bowl loss and constant under achieving in the playoffs since. The Stiller’s should’ve had at least 1 maybe two more trips to the big dance with Ben. Tomlin was out coached many times. Arguably the best regular season coach ever, but worst playoff coach ever.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:00 AM

And in my opinion, Tomlin should’ve been let go after the 2016 conference championship loss. That was his 5th playoff loss including the Super Bowl 45 loss to Green Bay. 5 playoff losses with a hall of fame qb. Then they wheels began to fall off the wagon losing control, the rise of the toxic twins etc. Tomlin is 3 years past his expiration date.

You could even make an argument for firing him after the 2015 season. Two wild card losses in 2013 and 2014 and lose the divisional round in 2015. At the very least 2016 should’ve been it. The championship game loss should’ve been the last game he coached for the Steelers. Now they are just a declining sloppy mess. Tainted with the fallout and lingering effects of the toxic twins.

Last edited by pittsburghaccuweather; 09-24-2019 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh