Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 08:38 PM

27 posts, read 24,365 times

Advertisements

If you had to spend one night in Pittsburgh and you only had three choices for a hotel which would you choose and why?

1.) Renaissance Pittsburgh Hotel
2.) The Oaklander Hotel, Autograph Collection
3.) SPRINGHILL SUITES PITTSBURGH SOUTHSIDE WORKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 04:12 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Renaissance because I prefer downtown to Oakland or South Side.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:46 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Oaklander is the nicer hotel, but the Renaissance has a better location. Actually, if a person were only spending one night, the Oaklander wouldn’t be a bad choice because it’s close to the museums and has a great restaurant with fantastic views.

Based on the story selections, I’m assuming the person staying as a Marriott elite status, in which case I would certainly rule out the Springhill suites on the southside, as the potential for upgrades is more limited. Also, the south side sucks.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:19 AM

527 posts, read 320,004 times
Why just those 3? They are in different parts of town so that might impact decisions, regardless of the specific hotel.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:55 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
I like the history of this place, but not on your list. This is always my first choice because it is more unique.

https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/pi...medium=organic

Old 08-14-2019, 07:36 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Oaklander is the nicer hotel, but the Renaissance has a better location. Actually, if a person were only spending one night, the Oaklander wouldn’t be a bad choice because it’s close to the museums and has a great restaurant with fantastic views.

Based on the story selections, I’m assuming the person staying as a Marriott elite status, in which case I would certainly rule out the Springhill suites on the southside, as the potential for upgrades is more limited. Also, the south side sucks.
I assumed the same with respect to Marriott status. I had a very bad experience at the restaurant at the Oaklander (basically, was not served or even asked for a drink order for over a half hour after we were seated...we left). Maybe things are better now or maybe we had an off night.

If I wanted evening options, downtown is the better choice than Oakland. For daytime things, like museums, access to parks, Phipps, etc., I agree Oakland might be better.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:51 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Renaissance because I prefer downtown to Oakland or South Side.

Totally agree on the preference for Downtown.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:06 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I like the history of this place, but not on your list. This is always my first choice because it is more unique.

https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/pi...medium=organic
A work of art. The classiest place in Pittsburgh ever. Still breathtaking. The lobby is just amazing. I feel part of this city's history when inside that place.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:17 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,964,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
A work of art. The classiest place in Pittsburgh ever. Still breathtaking. The lobby is just amazing. I feel part of this city's history when inside that place.
The Omni William Penn is grand, but it's also old and stuffy. It's also not a Marriot Bonvoy property, like the others. If I were to suggest a non-Marriot property for the OP, I would not suggest the William Penn unless I knew he/she was over 50.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:25 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
The Omni William Penn is grand, but it's also old and stuffy. It's also not a Marriot Bonvoy property, like the others. If I were to suggest a non-Marriot property for the OP, I would not suggest the William Penn unless I knew he/she was over 50.
And most new hotels are cold, unimaginative, harsh, glass, not pretty or warm with sharp corners and will be out of style in a few years. Probably demolished for the latest trend in cheap development. The Wm Penn has been classy for 100 years and counting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh