Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 08:17 AM

65 posts, read 54,889 times

Advertisements

I was pulled over today for going 20 over the speed limit on the highway.

I was pleasant and cooperative with the police officer. I received a citation for a total of $197 and 4 points on my license.

This is my first citation in over 10 years of driving. That being said, what can I do to get the ticket removed from my driving license and some or all points removed from my license (hopefully)?

Will fighting the traffic ticket in court offer me the best chance to do so? If so, what are some things that I can say to plead my case given that I am actually guilty of speeding?

Are points on your license and traffic ticket on your record the same thing or two different things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 08:48 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times
Since you were actually speeding and I'm sure they had you on radar, probably the only thing you can do to get it off your record, is wait three years or however long it takes to roll off.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:57 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
I don't think it costs much to fight it. You could just plead your case to the judge, say you are very sorry and hope you can just pay the fine and have no points. Say you will have trouble paying for insurance premium increase. That is about all you can really do. 20 mph over isn't minor, so you might want to consider letting this go and be more careful. Speed limits are high enough for the most part. 5 mph over is good enough.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:21 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblerare View Post
I was pulled over today for going 20 over the speed limit on the highway.

I was pleasant and cooperative with the police officer. I received a citation for a total of $197 and 4 points on my license.

This is my first citation in over 10 years of driving. That being said, what can I do to get the ticket removed from my driving license and some or all points removed from my license (hopefully)?

Will fighting the traffic ticket in court offer me the best chance to do so? If so, what are some things that I can say to plead my case given that I am actually guilty of speeding?

Are points on your license and traffic ticket on your record the same thing or two different things?
Due to it being your 1st ticket in 10 years of driving you have a very good chance of losing the points.

The only possibility of losing the points that I’m aware of is to “fight” the ticket, and you’re going to lose....but when you go into see the judge, sincerely plead your case about the points and your insurance. Very good chance your offense will be knocked down to 5mph over the speed limit which won’t result in any points, and you’ll even get some money back.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:34 AM

5,300 posts, read 6,179,553 times
Who gave you the ticket- local cops or the state police? I believe that local cops use "Vascar," which can be challenged. Local cops may allow you to plead down to a lesser speeding violation.

If it's the state police, pay the fine and take the punishment. They never ever show forbearance.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:38 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Who gave you the ticket- local cops or the state police? I believe that local cops use "Vascar," which can be challenged. Local cops may allow you to plead down to a lesser speeding violation.

If it's the state police, pay the fine and take the punishment. They never ever show forbearance.
This is true as it is now. I believe local police will be able to use radar at some point.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:01 PM

969 posts, read 772,099 times
What you should do is pay the ticket, stop driving so recklessly, and learn your lesson. It's been 10 years since you have been caught endangering others - pretty good streak.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:23 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Show up in a coat and tie, admit to exceeding the limit, agree to pay the fine but ask if the points could be eliminated or cut in half. Can't hurt.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:38 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
What you should do is pay the ticket, stop driving so recklessly, and learn your lesson. It's been 10 years since you have been caught endangering others - pretty good streak.
Excellent advice

Old 09-07-2019, 03:23 PM

65 posts, read 54,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
Amazing. I've finally met the one person who drives 55 mph on 376!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh