Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 07:07 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Pa act 89 is pretty much keeping the Port Authority afloat. Without it the T would probably be going by the wayside now. It is set to expire in 2022. Let’s see if they renew it and where the money will go. Act 89 resulted in the highest gasoline tax in the nation.

High gas prices are a good reason to try public transit. Also, high parking taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 08:54 AM

22 posts, read 21,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburghaccuweather View Post
Most likely they will uses buses. The cost to update the electrical and mechanics on the existing lines would be double or triple the cost to extend it out to the airport. Enjoy it while it lasts.

The difference between trolley and standard gauge is the track on trolley gauge is narrower. The cars have a higher center of gravity thus making it much slower. Those 83 rail cars can only be used in Pittsburgh, New Orleans and one rail line in Philly. That’s why most of the old Pittsburgh cars were scrapped. No other transit system in the United States can use them.

The RTA cars on the Cleveland lines are wider, larger and faster than the T. They can be switched with every other city that has light rail and heavy rail.

Trolley gauge was replaced with standard gauge in cities because of speed and a smoother ride. Pittsburgh and New Orleans are all that’s left with trolley gauge. Old infrastructure in Pittsburgh once again.

There was a Pittsburgh based rail company that had a trolley gauge line in the Columbus area. It was over 30 miles long and it served the cities of Marion, Delaware and Columbus Ohio. They scrapped the line in the 1950s because of maintenance costs and evolution of the automobile and roads.

Interesting history on trolley gauge. And streetcar lines.

Knowing that the trolley lines' days are numbered might change our consideration.

We stayed in Beechview over the weekend, but visited Swissvale, riding both the busway (to Roslyn) and the surface bus (back to downtown via Regent Square, Squirrel Hill, and Oakland). The section of S'vale west of the busway and just south of the interstate is peaceful, gorgeous, and super affordable; it's also within walking distance of the library and plenty of shopping. Hop on the surface bus on Monongahela and you are in Regent Square for dinner and a movie in five minutes.

Thank you for the info on the trolleys, although I'm sad to hear it. I'd thought they were a permanent fixture, destined to be a forever part of Beechview. I wonder if the tracks from Fallowfield inbound would be convertible into another short busway, or whether the buses that would take the place of the trolleys would have to scatter to the surface roads once they reach the Beechview "downtown" area(?)

Old 10-14-2019, 09:04 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
It will be around longer than you and i will be.
I agree. It's not going anywhere.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:05 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drband36 View Post
Knowing that the trolley lines' days are numbered might change our consideration.

We stayed in Beechview over the weekend, but visited Swissvale, riding both the busway (to Roslyn) and the surface bus (back to downtown via Regent Square, Squirrel Hill, and Oakland). The section of S'vale west of the busway and just south of the interstate is peaceful, gorgeous, and super affordable; it's also within walking distance of the library and plenty of shopping. Hop on the surface bus on Monongahela and you are in Regent Square for dinner and a movie in five minutes.

Thank you for the info on the trolleys, although I'm sad to hear it. I'd thought they were a permanent fixture, destined to be a forever part of Beechview. I wonder if the tracks from Fallowfield inbound would be convertible into another short busway, or whether the buses that would take the place of the trolleys would have to scatter to the surface roads once they reach the Beechview "downtown" area(?)
I would take that poster's opinions on Pittsburgh light rail with a grain of salt--note that he didn't provide any sources or citations to back up his claims that the T is on its way out. I live in Beechview, and having light rail through the neighborhood is a point of pride as well as a necessary part of public transit in the area.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:27 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I would take that poster's opinions on Pittsburgh light rail with a grain of salt--note that he didn't provide any sources or citations to back up his claims that the T is on its way out. I live in Beechview, and having light rail through the neighborhood is a point of pride as well as a necessary part of public transit in the area.
The thought of buses going up and down the steep hills of Beechview to Banksville or West Liberty in the snow is a scary thought.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:40 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
The thought of buses going up and down the steep hills of Beechview to Banksville or West Liberty in the snow is a scary thought.
And while most of the streets within the neighborhood have sidewalks, if residents had to walk down the steep streets like Crane, Pauline, Wenzell, etc. that don't have sidewalks to catch busses on West Liberty or Banksville, that would be dangerous and inaccessible to many people.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:44 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Exactly. The port authority just did a hiring blitz to rebuild the rail cars in house. The cars have reached there half life so they have another 40 years left to run. The last cars ran for 60 years before they were retired. Some people just like to talk out of there a##

Old 10-14-2019, 10:52 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016...-construction/

They site 30 years in this news piece

Old 10-14-2019, 12:53 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drband36 View Post

Please just ignore 95% of that poster's claims about Pittsburgh. He doesn't even live in Pennsylvania.... The T is obviously not going anywhere anytime soon considering all the money they just spent redoing the rails for the line in Beechview.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:56 PM

615 posts, read 394,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
High gas prices are a good reason to try public transit. Also, high parking taxes.
Gas prices are high in PA, the highest in the nation because of Act 89 which keeps the Port Authorty afloat. Yes the highest gasoline tax in the nation. The port Authority relies on act 89 to keep operating. If it went away bus routes would be cut in half and the rail line would be mothballed. Sooner than people expect. This tax is set to expire in 2022. Let’s see what happens. I don’t see the light rail around in Pittsburgh past the 2030s and I think the port authority will be a much leaner organization. Self driving cars and ride share are the future. They ain’t getting more state or federal money to put bandaids on old technology or to add transit to a declining city. If Pittsburgh was growing it would be a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh