Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:34 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times

Advertisements

Luciano's in the North Hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:32 AM

299 posts, read 1,005,454 times
To the OP: you should let us know which of the recommended places you've visited and what you think! Hope you make it to Fiori's!!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:03 AM

831 posts, read 872,594 times
Conca D'Oro in Plum, or Jioio's in South Greensburg!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,777,226 times
Slice on Broadway (Beechview)
Harry's (McMurray)
Frank's (Ambridge)
Blue Grotto (South Side)
Sal's NY Pizza (South Side)

Old 06-15-2012, 10:02 AM

2,236 posts, read 2,961,761 times
I'll be in Pittsburgh next week, June 19th. I won't have time visiting all the recommended establishments that I'm sure serve excellent pizza.

I'm looking for a pizza with a thin crust, sauce made from ground Italian tomatoes lightly seasoned, fresh mozzarella and romano cheese, topped with fresh oregano and basil, and preferably baked in a brick oven. I guess it would be considered Neapolitan by design.

Where would you suggest to go?

Last edited by eccotecc; 06-15-2012 at 10:15 AM..

Old 06-15-2012, 11:28 AM

9,316 posts, read 12,911,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
I'll be in Pittsburgh next week, June 19th. I won't have time visiting all the recommended establishments that I'm sure serve excellent pizza.

I'm looking for a pizza with a thin crust, sauce made from ground Italian tomatoes lightly seasoned, fresh mozzarella and romano cheese, topped with fresh oregano and basil, and preferably baked in a brick oven. I guess it would be considered Neapolitan by design.

Where would you suggest to go?
Piccolo Forno.

Pizza Sola also isn't bad for an NYC-style slice. Beyond that, I find Pittsburgh pizza rather terrible--at least in the city limits.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:33 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Piccolo Forno.

Pizza Sola also isn't bad for an NYC-style slice. Beyond that, I find Pittsburgh pizza rather terrible--at least in the city limits.
Yeah, I agree. Pittsburgh isn't very good for pizza. For some odd reason most pizza places don't cook the pizza long enough. Pittsburgh people must like that raw dough layer, since most all pizza around here has that. That doesn't fly in NYC. Wish we had a really good NY slice around here. Pizza Sola is sort of close if you ask for it well done, but I just don't think their ovens are hot enough to make really good pizza.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:42 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,678,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Piccolo Forno.

I like those two also, but I've recently switched over to Slice on Broadway for my main pizza joint.

edit: I've also been planning to try Mercurio for a good Neapolitan pie.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:32 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,961,761 times
Dang ML North, that doesn't look half bad. Is it a little black on the bottom with a crispy bite to the crust? I do see what I like on the top. The fresh mozzarella and basil. Where is this establishment located?

h_curtis, you're right about the oven temp. I think brick ovens have a more even heat unlike traditional pizza ovens where they are constantly moving the pizzas because of the hot or cool spots in the oven.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:34 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,777,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
I like those two also, but I've recently switched over to Slice on Broadway for my main pizza joint.
Very good choice! Slice is about as good as it gets around here. Sal's is definitely a NY slice, but it's a run of the mill NY slice, and Blue Grotto is inconsistent, great one day, and not so great the next. The problem people like Heaven have, is that they listen to the wrong people when they're looking for a pizza joint, and end up somewhere like Beto's, or Mineo's, which are geared more to local tastes. Nothing wrong with that, I love Fiori's, but if someone is looking for a NY slice, I'm going to warn them before I send them there. Slice, Sal's, and Blue Grotto are going to be much closer to what someone looking for a NY style pie wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh