Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 12:04 PM

803 posts, read 2,960,380 times

Advertisements

Hi. . . in our search, we've been having trouble in finding what we wanted in Dormont or Mt. Leb., but have an option on the west side, in McKees Rocks.... can anyone tell me what kind of an area/neighborhood this is?

* Safety / crime?

* Ease of Transportation via bus to downtown?

* General neighborhood make up...

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 12:12 PM

33 posts, read 327,614 times
I worked in EMS for two years in that area. I think it's pretty much GHETTO- but that's just my opinion. Drug overdoses, shootings, crime, etc. There's alot of section 8 housing projects in the area. While I worked there, I encountered hangings, double shootings, and lots of other crazy stuff. However, I did have a boyfriend who lived in that area- and was at his house alot. I never felt unsafe there- but i think that's because he was closer to Stow Twp. Plus, I knew the area really well from working in it- so I knew where and where not to go. Mind you, at this time I was 20 years old- and I'm a petite girl lol. But, from my perspective- I'd stay away from that area- plus the school district isn't very good- so if you had kids you'd want to send them to private school. There are alot better parts of pittsburgh thats worth looking at.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:41 PM

803 posts, read 2,960,380 times
Thanks!--Okay (scratches that one off the list)...

Old 04-19-2008, 05:38 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,558,585 times
Look elsewhere imo.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:20 PM

1 posts, read 8,459 times
Hi,

Hey How are You? So you intrested in mckees rocks? Its honestly not that great of a nieborhood to live in espcially with children. theres alot of young punks down there now runnin around actin like little thugs and gangstas. I dont live there anymore. I moved out 3 years ago and every year the conditions down there get worse. It was home but now im glad im gone. the area is that pretty. and it just looks depressing, but hey just tryin to help i guess sometimes it all depends on what you make of it and what kinda of person you are in how your ganna make it down there. well good luck to ya i wish you the best

Old 07-07-2009, 08:40 PM

366 posts, read 940,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
Hi. . . in our search, we've been having trouble in finding what we wanted in Dormont or Mt. Leb., but have an option on the west side, in McKees Rocks.... can anyone tell me what kind of an area/neighborhood this is?

* Safety / crime?

* Ease of Transportation via bus to downtown?

* General neighborhood make up...

Thanks!!!

McKees Rocks is best known for its strip club (and now also Billy Mays).

Old 07-29-2009, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 8,330 times
I have lived in the "Rocks" for most of my life and I think most of the time it gets a bad rap. There are many good things happening there..we have a great new Center for the Arts and some of the best food (Pierogi Plus, Mancini's) around. The majority of the folks there are great people who are working hard to keep up the neighborhoods. It would be nice to have people move into the area who will take care of their property. Hopefully we can replace the Section 8 with long term residents who will take pride in their community. There are people behind the scenes who are working on projects to help make the community a better place. Look beyond the main streets and the news headlines...I think you will see an area with a great potential.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:50 PM

6,356 posts, read 5,004,327 times
i saw actual cocaine one time in my life - in mckees rocks. a dealer removed a baggie from his briefcase to make a sale to the guy working at the pizza joint. right in front of me, a 10 year old kid.

the dealer and his bimbo were like out of a movie, i kid you not. he was like joe peschi in 'my cousin vinnie'. the woman with him was a tall blonde who said nothing, cracked her chewing gum, and wore 1' high heels. oh, and had so much cleavage i thought it was mt. rushmore.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:09 PM

27 posts, read 94,171 times
Mckees Rocks = TRASH. Avoid it at all costs... terrible school district, very dirty, high crime ( I saw a drug deal go down at the Citgo across from club eroitca) that should say enough. I lived in Moon for several years and didnt even like to cut through the rocks to get to the city. I have sinced moved to Florida, live on the beach and don't miss one thing about Pittsburgh.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
General rule of thumb around Pittsburgh: you probably don't want to live anywhere that starts with "McKee."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh