Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 08:00 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Pittsburgh people love to complain about everything. Most cities would be happy a president visits and cares about their area. This area is pretty depressed overall.

I am glad he visits and wish he would visit more. I didn't vote for him and probably won't vote for him next time around, but I am not spoiled rotten enough to not want him coming here. Hopefully he will continue to try and create jobs in our region. Years from now we will know how his ideas will do. People are dumb enough to think you can get manufacturing going in a few years. Hilarious. That kind of movement takes many years. He is hopefully getting the ball rolling.
Which is why his statement about bringing them back was hilarious.

Hope when he shows the city makes a lot of money with suburbanites flocking to the city.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:11 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Hope when he shows the city makes a lot of money with suburbanites flocking to the city.
I mean I live in the city and welcome as many tourists as possible to come to Pittsburgh on Wednesday, and, yes, I do hope they all go out to eat at our restaurants, spend some money at stores in the Strip like Penn Mac or Wholey's, and possibly even spend the night if they're from far enough away that they don't want to drive back home the same day.

I disagree with the majority of President Trump's policies, but I'm not so radically far-left-wing that I "hate" Trump supporters. Some liberals seem to think every Trump supporter is a "deplorable" when that's not the case. Yes, some still want to see President Obama's birth certificate and think gays spread AIDS via handshakes, but the vast majority of Republicans aren't this stupid.

We need to start finding some common ground in this country and be kinder to one another. There are 10% uber-right-wing fringe idiots and 10% uber-left-wing fringe idiots in this country, and then the other 80% of us just want to live comfortably day-to-day and neither burden anyone nor be burdened by others.

As far as next Wednesday in Pittsburgh is concerned? It will be fine here. Possibly some minor clashes. Nothing major. The police are prepared (believe me, I know they are). If I worked Downtown I might consider teleworking that day if my employer permitted me to do so just because I feel like it will be a traffic nightmare, but from a personal safety perspective Trump supporters shouldn't feel "scared" to attend the rally (nor should liberal activists MAKE them feel "scared", either).

Expect a Tweet from Mayor Peduto after he saw how much publicity the Minneapolis mayor received when he got under President Trump's skin.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:14 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,388,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
We have been in the economic doldrums for so long. Pittsburgh is the best it has been in decades. A president comes and touts the job growth we haven’t had in decades. People still protest downtown for 15 dollars an hour. What about all these new spinoff natural gas jobs?

Pittsburgh is becoming a strange place. I think the attitudes and friendliness of the people was better before the bests lists rankings. It’s becoming a hugs and freebie city.

Who cares if the president is a Republican or democrat.

BTW I am a Tulsi Gabbard fan for 2020
Pittsburgh won the best places to live award when i was in middle school. I did a report on it for civics class. I am now 46. I dont think the awards are the problem

Old 10-18-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
Pittsburgh won the best places to live award when i was in middle school. I did a report on it for civics class. I am now 46. I dont think the awards are the problem
I mean the multiple "Best of" rankings, believe it or not, were one of the reasons why I chose Pittsburgh over St. Paul, MN when I was considering relocating out of Northern Virginia in 2010. Both of these cities checked so many boxes for me, and it was a tough call. The desire for warmer winters, closer proximity to family, and cheaper rents brought me to Pittsburgh, and I've been very happy here (for the most part).

Old 10-18-2019, 08:26 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I mean I live in the city and welcome as many tourists as possible to come to Pittsburgh on Wednesday, and, yes, I do hope they all go out to eat at our restaurants, spend some money at stores in the Strip like Penn Mac or Wholey's, and possibly even spend the night if they're from far enough away that they don't want to drive back home the same day.

I disagree with the majority of President Trump's policies, but I'm not so radically far-left-wing that I "hate" Trump supporters. Some liberals seem to think every Trump supporter is a "deplorable" when that's not the case. Yes, some still want to see President Obama's birth certificate and think gays spread AIDS via handshakes, but the vast majority of Republicans aren't this stupid.

We need to start finding some common ground in this country and be kinder to one another. There are 10% uber-right-wing fringe idiots and 10% uber-left-wing fringe idiots in this country, and then the other 80% of us just want to live comfortably day-to-day and neither burden anyone nor be burdened by others.

As far as next Wednesday in Pittsburgh is concerned? It will be fine here. Possibly some minor clashes. Nothing major. The police are prepared (believe me, I know they are). If I worked Downtown I might consider teleworking that day if my employer permitted me to do so just because I feel like it will be a traffic nightmare, but from a personal safety perspective Trump supporters shouldn't feel "scared" to attend the rally (nor should liberal activists MAKE them feel "scared", either).

Expect a Tweet from Mayor Peduto after he saw how much publicity the Minneapolis mayor received when he got under President Trump's skin.
I just want to point out he's coming here for a natural gas conference, so this isn't something that any random person can get into I'm assuming. Downtown most likely will not be full of people with MAGA hats on next Wednesday. If anything, I would expect Downtown to be more quiet than usual because I would imagine many office workers who can work from home will that day so they don't deal with any traffic mess he'll bring.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I just want to point out he's coming here for a natural gas conference, so this isn't something that any random person can get into I'm assuming. Downtown most likely will not be full of people with MAGA hats on next Wednesday. If anything, I would expect Downtown to be more quiet than usual because I would imagine many office workers who can work from home will that day so they don't deal with any traffic mess he'll bring.
I wonder if he'll tell us when we're going to bring Joe Paterno back?

Old 10-18-2019, 09:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,954,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Which is why his statement about bringing them back was hilarious.

I didn't find it hilarious in the least. It takes years upon years to get a trend like manufacturing to come back. Tariffs are certainly part of that puzzle and Trump is the only one trying to negotiate on that front. Low energy costs are also important. Another thing Trump is shooting for. He is doing what he can to make manufacturing possible at least. More than I can say for any other president in the past 40 years. Of course the crazy media is focusing on the negatives and people eat it up, but those of us that have been around in business for a long time know that during your 8 years as president, you can only get a ball rolling in a direction when you are talking about manufacturing trends. All you can do is try and I feel he is trying.

Lots of suburbs voted blue in that election. Fox Chapel voted for Hilary. Personally I don't care who won anymore. I have learned a lot from Trump being elected. I have learned a large majority of people are racist, sexist and ageists. I wasn't mentally prepared for that and still am in shock over it. I also felt my fellow democrats were better people in general. I was wildly off base on that thought. Heck the democrats chased me out of the party due to how mean they are towards older white men. I doubt I will return to that party after learning so much about people I used to think were kind and less prejudicial. Sexism, racism and ageism are all viewed the same in my eyes. Misguided prejudices. If you feel women are the only answer, you will be viewed the same as a racist in my eyes. Prejudice by race and gender is one in the same.

Anyway, you can tell I have been targeted a lot in our city. I have changed due to being targeted. I lost a lot of pride towards Pittsburgh and its people. Obviously this is a general vibe and I still look at everyone as an individual, which they are regardless of what they look like or age group. Strange times, but Trump getting elected open my eyes to how ugly people can be in a group that I once belonged to. Thankfully I left them. No thanks!

Old 10-18-2019, 09:22 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,281,859 times
Quote:
I didn't find it hilarious in the least. It takes years upon years to get a trend like manufacturing to come back. Tariffs are certainly part of that puzzle and Trump is the only one trying to negotiate on that front. Low energy costs are also important. Another thing Trump is shooting for. He is doing what he can to make manufacturing possible at least. More than I can say for any other president in the past 40 years. Of course the crazy media is focusing on the negatives and people eat it up, but those of us that have been around in business for a long time know that during your 8 years as president, you can only get a ball rolling in a direction when you are talking about manufacturing trends. All you can do is try and I feel he is trying.

Lots of suburbs voted blue in that election. Fox Chapel voted for Hilary. Personally I don't care who won anymore. I have learned a lot from Trump being elected. I have learned a large majority of people are racist, sexist and ageists. I wasn't mentally prepared for that and still am in shock over it. I also felt my fellow democrats were better people in general. I was wildly off base on that thought. Heck the democrats chased me out of the party due to how mean they are towards older white men. I doubt I will return to that party after learning so much about people I used to think were kind and less prejudicial. Sexism, racism and ageism are all viewed the same in my eyes. Misguided prejudices. If you feel women are the only answer, you will be viewed the same as a racist in my eyes. Prejudice by race and gender is one in the same.

Anyway, you can tell I have been targeted a lot in our city. I have changed due to being targeted. I lost a lot of pride towards Pittsburgh and its people. Obviously this is a general vibe and I still look at everyone as an individual, which they are regardless of what they look like or age group. Strange times, but Trump getting elected open my eyes to how ugly people can be in a group that I once belonged to. Thankfully I left them. No thanks!

Old 10-18-2019, 09:28 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times
Quote:
I didn't find it hilarious in the least. It takes years upon years to get a trend like manufacturing to come back.
You're missing my point. As you stated, only dumb people think it will come back quickly, Mr. Trump seemed to believe that as well when he made the promise. If p, then q.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:30 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul2421 View Post
Yeah, my thoughts too about that whole thing...

Meanwhile in reality, it's actually been a pretty rough year for manufacturing jobs in PA and states next to us like New York and Maryland, and most Democrats elected to office are still older white guys....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh