Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 03:47 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,900,053 times

Advertisements

Info on road closures: https://www.post-gazette.com/local/c...s/201910210095

PPS is closing 12 schools: https://twitter.com/ppsnews/status/1186389598949269507

Old 10-22-2019, 06:01 AM

684 posts, read 419,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
The conference is certainly a big deal, and certainly more than a photo-op opportunity which can be had most anywhere.
I mean, you can still get general admission passes today, and it's tomorrow. It's not a big deal at all...and it's absolutely a photo opp to show he's cozying up to the drill baby drill crowd.

Also, I don't care if it's this guy, or a President...they don't need to be disrupting actual work by coming into town on a weekday and having to close everything.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:02 AM

684 posts, read 419,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Is this referring to the Trump Administration? Or 'The Resistance'?
Or both?
Any of them....any and all politicians that require so much baggage that the city is asking people to not come to work is asinine.

Old 10-22-2019, 06:16 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,204,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
I mean, you can still get general admission passes today, and it's tomorrow. It's not a big deal at all...and it's absolutely a photo opp to show he's cozying up to the drill baby drill crowd.

Also, I don't care if it's this guy, or a President...they don't need to be disrupting actual work by coming into town on a weekday and having to close everything.
It’s not a big deal to you, but it’s a big deal to many about a subject with significant impact.

Many can still do their work. They’re disrupting traffic for 1 day.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:26 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Wow, they closed Pittsburgh Schools? Seriously? What an odd time we are living in. Wouldn't it be better that the kids are in school anyway instead of looking for things to do to filll their time? It is always better to be busy especially for our young. Do they always close PPS when a president visits? Anyone know why they decided to close all those schools?

It is always good for a president to visit our city. Doesn't matter if you like him or not. He is here for job growth/energy. Energy is key to our economy. We all use it a lot and we all need it these days to the point of excessive, but that is how we live now. Massive energy is needed for our luxurious living.

Hope it is televised and I hope police rock anyone's world if they do anything lawless at all. I would like to see it stronger than the g20 and I think a lot of people want that at this point.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:45 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,159,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Wow, they closed Pittsburgh Schools? Seriously? What an odd time we are living in. Wouldn't it be better that the kids are in school anyway instead of looking for things to do to filll their time? It is always better to be busy especially for our young. Do they always close PPS when a president visits? Anyone know why they decided to close all those schools?

It is always good for a president to visit our city. Doesn't matter if you like him or not. He is here for job growth/energy. Energy is key to our economy. We all use it a lot and we all need it these days to the point of excessive, but that is how we live now. Massive energy is needed for our luxurious living.

Hope it is televised and I hope police rock anyone's world if they do anything lawless at all. I would like to see it stronger than the g20 and I think a lot of people want that at this point.
The reason cited is that ~2,000 students in the schools that were closed travel through downtown (presumably by PAT bus) in order to get to and from school. Schools will be dismissed at peak road closure time, and they are guessing that kids might get stuck in town for a while. This seems at least plausible to me. It isn't like an early dismissal or late start could avoid the issues. Everyone is free to make their own judgments, though.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:19 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post

well, the most powerful position in the world, no matter WHO'S in office. a big deal? shyeahuh!

photo op? anyone can say that about ANY person in power...or they can say that person is doing their job as an elected official - being present to show support and win or keep votes.

disruption of work - its just a reality. this is not a common, everyday thing.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:20 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
The reason cited is that ~2,000 students in the schools that were closed travel through downtown (presumably by PAT bus) in order to get to and from school. Schools will be dismissed at peak road closure time, and they are guessing that kids might get stuck in town for a while. This seems at least plausible to me. It isn't like an early dismissal or late start could avoid the issues. Everyone is free to make their own judgments, though.
Thanks. That makes more sense and now that I had my morning coffee, things seem clearer.

Seems odd there isn't a way for kids to get to and from school. What school would really be effected at all? CAPA?

Old 10-22-2019, 08:58 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
This is correct. Most city highschool students use the port authority for transportation. Pittsburgh Obama students commute from all directions. West End and Northside students would be inconvenienced the most.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:56 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
This is correct. Most city highschool students use the port authority for transportation. Pittsburgh Obama students commute from all directions. West End and Northside students would be inconvenienced the most.
Yes, we wouldn’t want anyone to be inconvenienced and have to think of a different route after school. Wow. Seems a little much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh