Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:25 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,334,940 times

Advertisements

There are three Isaly's still in operation in southwestern Pennsylvania in the areas of West View and Turtle Creek, all retaining most of the classic interior.
Isaly's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Recent article about the TC Isaly's:
Chipped ham, Italian style in Turtle Creek - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 6,578 times
I grew up in TC. Mainly is was a busy little place in the 50s. Work was plentiful. Businesses included the Westinghouse Electric Plant and the Westinghous Airbrake Plant. Smaller businesses I remember were the White Tower, Anton's Restaurant (High School Hang Out), Palmieries Restuarant, Isalys, Fallers Furniture Store, Murphys 5 and Dime, Ceasars Bar, a hotel I can't remember the name, too many bars and churhes to remember (I went to St Colmans Roman Catholic Church, Turtle Creek Junior High School, Turtle Creek Senior High School, a bowling alley, a beer distributorship, a state store, Mary's Dairy on Locust (I believe), Katie's Market on Beech (I think), Kingston's Market, Krogers Grocery Store, a couple shoe shops, a Carltons men's clothing store, Beral Chevrolet Dealership, A Lincoln Mercury Dealership, and too many more to remember. It was a great place to grow up and I left in 1963 when I joined the Navy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jushanginout View Post
Hello-I am trying to find out some info about Turtle Creek, PA (near Pittsburgh). I want to know what types of businesses were in the past-prior to 1960's. I can find a lot of info about the old hotel down by Monroeville Avenue as well as Westinghouse and stuff but looking for info about smaller businesses-you see the home I live in is right off tri boro-I heard from the previous owner that this home used to be a tavern (they owned home since 1959 so sometime before that-I cannot find any evidence to support her claim and I am just curious as it may explain some paranormal happenings! If anyone knows of any businesses from that time I would love to hear-also if you just want to reminicsse thats fine too!

Also I was trying to find out who owned my home before the last owner-I went to record search but it does not go back far enough just shows last owner (which was not original owner) and myself. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-25-2009, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,490 times
My grandmother still lives there. As of today the Isalys is still there. My grandfather worked for westinghouse and the Fallers Furniture. "justhanginout"...what part of the triboro...my grandmother may remember it?

Old 03-04-2009, 08:31 PM

3 posts, read 18,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler george View Post
My Father pasted away last may .He worked for a Rambler
dealership called Soles rambler .The owners name was Ray Soles

i was wondering if anyone still around the area has info or
maybe a key chain or license frame or sticker i can buy
we moved away from mckeesport in the 60's and he always
like working there
thanks
george
George,

Ray Soles was my grandfather (he passed away 10 years ago this past august). My father (also Ray) still lives a few miles away from TC. I'm not sure if there are items from the dealership but my grandfather was a super pack-rat so it's likely.
I'll contact you off of the boards...

Last edited by ksoles; 03-04-2009 at 09:59 PM..

Old 03-05-2009, 07:22 AM

2 posts, read 13,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoles View Post
George,

Ray Soles was my grandfather (he passed away 10 years ago this past august). My father (also Ray) still lives a few miles away from TC. I'm not sure if there are items from the dealership but my grandfather was a super pack-rat so it's likely.
I'll contact you off of the boards...
Hello
i'm so happy to hear from you .
you can email me at george@mccandlessford.com
Mr.Soles gave me a Rambler Promotional model
back in the early 60's and knowing what i know now
i wish i still had it but i do own a 64 rambler classic
Thank you for you response
hope to hear from you
George Mullett Jr

Old 08-23-2009, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,287 times
I am with the Turtle Creek Valley Historical Society and may be able to help you with your question. If you are refering to the building on Lynn Ave owned by Soles, yes at one time it was a speak easy. During probation, it was raided and their still was poured into the creek that flows behind the building. When the local wine'os heard about it they ran down stream and scooped it out with their mason jars...so the legend goes...would love to hear more storys about Turtle Creek...if I can help answer questions please email [EMAIL="tc1bowden@yahoo.com"]tc1bowden@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]

Old 04-17-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry bowden View Post
I am with the Turtle Creek Valley Historical Society and may be able to help you with your question. If you are refering to the building on Lynn Ave owned by Soles, yes at one time it was a speak easy. During probation, it was raided and their still was poured into the creek that flows behind the building. When the local wine'os heard about it they ran down stream and scooped it out with their mason jars...so the legend goes...would love to hear more storys about Turtle Creek...if I can help answer questions please email tc1bowden@yahoo.com
If you're talking about where the car dealership was, that would have been BEFORE my grandfather's time. (he wasn't born until 1920) So no speak easies for him i suspect =)

Old 04-17-2010, 01:33 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,334,940 times
Someone who might know about the dealership is Golick Chrysler/Jeep.
Pittsburgh Pre-Owned Jeep and Chrysler best price

They are in an old building at the top of a steep hill there. It looks like
it could have been a bar at one time as it's super small for a dealership.
Formerly they were AMC which I think Rambler was AMC?

Old 05-01-2010, 04:33 AM

Golick's dealership is in Pitcairn not TC... [SIZE=3]"Golick Motor Company has been at their same location near Pittsburgh since 1935 and is still owned and operated by the Golick family. From 1935 till 1946 they were primarily an auto repair facility. In 1947 they aquired the Hudson franchise and sold new Hudson automobiles until 1952 when the Hudson and Nash motor companies merged to form American Motors Corporation. From 1952 until 1977 Golick was an American Motors dealer and then acquired the Jeep franchise in 1978. Chrysler Corporation merged with American Motors and Jeep in 1988, and then Golick became a Jeep -Eagle dealer until 1999. In 2000 they acquired the Chrysler franchise."
[/SIZE]

But yes, AMC, Nash, all part of a history of parts of the same company... My father actually purchased his first car from Golicks (a 1940 hudson) which he currently owns! I also purchased my first and second car from them!

My grandfather's building was destroyed (when a road was being built it was purchased by the state and torn down) He retired then. Some time in the 60s? He had an option to move the dealership elsewhere or purchase a different dealership, but declined.

My point was that there was no way that the Soles dealership building could have been a speakeasy for multiple reasons. I believe the building was specifically built for the dealership. But mainly because it no longer exists so it can't be the same building that the original poster lives in. Not that I don't think it would have been a cool history fact to say that my family had a speakeasy in what we are talking about as the Nash dealership doesn't fit the time frame....

Now, what my great grandfather and his brothers did ("Bruno", Hen and Charlie...) who knows! They owned multiple businesses in the area. Hen and Charlie raised sulky race horses. At one point they owned a large portion of monroeville and what they didn't own, they had the mining rights under the properties. They seriously mined coal from under most of monroeville! For reference their farm was on the top of the hill that overlooks Hills Dept store and extended all the way to 286. They also had an ice company in TC.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,285 times
I grew up in TC and lived there from 1950 - 1986. I remember walking to school - no busing even if you lived up on the "hill". My father was a volunteer fireman and I remember the time Rutter's lumber yard burned. They were neighbors of mine. I also remember when the old fire station burned. When Westinghouse and the AirBrake left, the majority of the population left for other places. Until that time, the town was a busy, friendly little town. You could walk to everything and knew everyone in the town. The streetcars ran through town all the way to Pittsburgh as well as the buses. There are some beautiful old homes that need TLC but have wonderful interiors still there. There essentially are no businesses left in town - a small restaurant, dentist, bank, Kellers hardware (I went to school with David) a few smaller businesses. The high school still looks impressive. I remember the wonderful street fairs in the summer, parades on July 4th and fireworks at the stadium. A wonderful place to grow up in, now needing young families and revialization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh